Winter Months

  • DonN
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2009
      Hi All,
      Just a question to the group. Does anyone use electric heaters in there surveillance vans? If so can you recommend one. My surveillance van gets might cold in the winter. I have a chevy mini van and purchased 2 extra car batteries that I keep in the rear with a 300 watt 12Vdc 30A Max convertor. So far I tried 2 space heaters that would not even turn on. Any advice could be very warming. Thanks in advance, please email me off line.

      Don Neubauer
      DN Private Consulting
      Licensed Insured and Bonded
      516-376-1060
      dnpcinc@...
    • ECKLUND & ASSOCIATES
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2009
        Hi Don,

        The reason your inverter (not converter) will not power up your electric heater, is because of the wattage of the electric heater
        verses the output wattage of the inverter, without looking at your electric heater, I am guessing your electric heater
        requires more wattage than your inverter is putting out. Most electric heaters are require at least 500 watts and many of them
        go above 1000 watts depending on the size you are using.

        If you look on the back of your electric heater, there should be a tag that lists the input- output power.
        Your inverter should be running at a minimum of 250 watts over what the stated power consumption of the electric heater requires.

        Also, you might want to consider running two deep cycle marine batteries as opposed to regular car batteries, the deep cycle marine batteries hold
        a charge much longer than a car batteries do, they also do better in cold weather and have a higher crank output for starting cold engines on sea vessels.

        John Ecklund
        Private Detective
        ECKLUND & ASSOCIATES
        P.O. Box 6882
        LEE'S SUMMIT, MO 64064
        Direct:816-509-3836
        Fax:816-503-9827

        Web: http://www.EcklundAndAssociates.com

        Email: investigations@...

        The information transmitted (including attachments) is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. 2510-2521, is intended only for the person(s) or entity/entities to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient(s) is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 12, 2009
          Hi All,
          I want to thank all who responded. Hopefully this winter will not be as bad as predicted. Seems like no good 12V electric heaters that don't draw to much power are out there. Anyway, alot of people go with the electric blanket which I was told is sold at WalMart for about $30. Second place was the indoor propane heater. Now I have one of those and it really is toasty warm, but my windows just fog up so bad I can see anything. I tried the no fog stuff for the windows with no luck. Then when I turn off and let the windows dry they are streaky which leads to bad video sometimes.
          So I'll dress warm and give the blanket a shot.
          Thanks again, if I can be any assistance to anyone I'm here in Nassau County Long Island NY

          Don Neubauer
          DN Private Consulting Inc.
          PO Box 122
          Baldwin NY 11510