Gun ownership still in harm's way

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2009
      Legislation Still Under the Radar Would Devastate U.S. Gun Ownership Rights

      September 30, 2009 by _Bob Livingston_
      (http://www.personalliberty.com/author/bob/)

      And it’s not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or
      religion or antipathy toward people who aren’t like them or anti-immigrant
      sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.–
      President Barack Obama in San Francisco at a 2008 fundraiser.
      While high profile issues like passage of a healthcare reform bill and cap
      and trade energy tax are getting front page headlines and top billing by
      television talking heads, be very wary of stealth legislation slowly working
      its way through Congress to restrict gun ownership.
      Passage of either of two bills, HR 45 (also known as Blair-Holt Firearm
      Licensing and Record Sale Act of 2009) and S 1317, would be a devastating blow
      to Second Amendment rights.
      HR 45, introduced by Rep. Bobby Rush, would make it illegal to own a gun
      unless you are fingerprinted and can provide a driver’s license and Social
      Security number.
      Additionally under HR 45, a person buying a gun would have to undergo both
      a physical and mental evaluation before making a firearm purchase. It also
      would require guns be secured from access by children under age 18, and
      would empower law enforcement officers to come into your home to check
      compliance.
      S 1317, introduced by Sen. Frank Lautenburg, would give the attorney
      general the right to block gun sales to people on terror watch lists. A third
      bill, HR 2647, contains a companion clause to S 1317 that gives the attorney
      general the authority to determine who belongs on terrorist watch lists.
      And who are the terrorists? In Obamaworld it’s not the Islamo-fascists
      flying airliners into buildings, planting improvised explosive devices (IEDs)
      or strapping bombs to their waists and setting them off in crowded areas.
      No, because in Obamaworld, the word terrorism no longer applies to those
      who were once called terrorists. And those who used to be considered
      terrorists no longer commit acts of terrorism. No they commit man-caused disasters.
      The word terrorist, at least in its past usage, has been dropped from the
      lexicon.
      Today’s terrorists, according to those now in power in the United States,
      are people in flyover country who believe the Constitution is sacrosanct,
      and that the Second Amendment actually means that people are free to own guns
      without restriction.
      Our own country’s Department of Homeland Security issued an assessment
      earlier this year warning law enforcement of a possible rise in home-grown
      terrorism from “right wing extremists.” And who are those rightwing
      extremists? The assessment tell us: “Rightwing extremism in the United States can be
      broadly divided into those groups, movements and adherents that are
      primarily hate-oriented (based on hatred of particular religious, racial or ethnic
      groups), and those that are mainly antigovernment, rejecting federal
      authority in favor of state or local authority, or rejecting government
      authority entirely. It may include groups and individuals that are dedicated to a
      single issue, such as opposition to abortion or immigration.”
      As we’ve reported before in related stories _here_
      (http://www.personalliberty.com/government/government-seeks-to-grab-guns-to-aid-mexico/) and _here_
      (http://www.personalliberty.com/government/fema-exercises-include-foreign-tr
      oops-practicing-on-us-soil/) the current administration is no friend to
      gun owners.
      And what does Eric Holder—attorney general for the United States and the
      person who would under S 1317 be granted the authority to determine who
      belongs on terrorist watch groups—think about guns?
      Following are few of his quotes that have appeared in various newspapers
      over the last few years:
      * “As President Obama indicated during the campaign, there are just a
      few gun-related changes that we would like to make, and among them would
      be to reinstitute the ban on the sale of assault weapons.”
      * “The second amendment does not protect firearms possession or use
      that is unrelated to participation in a well-regulated militia.”
      * “To further strengthen the ability of law enforcement officials to
      track those suspected of terrorism or other criminal acts in this country,
      Congress should also pass legislation that would give the Bureau of
      Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms a record of every firearm sale.”
      Holder’s boss, the president, is equally unfriendly to gun owners. Writing
      for Gun Digest last October, gun lobbyist Richard A. Pearson called Obama
      an enemy of the law abiding firearm owner. You can read his article _here_
      (http://www.gundigest.com/article/ObamaExpose) .
      Some of Obama’s own quotes, as they have appeared in various publications,
      will back this up:
      * “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as
      opposing concealed carry.”
      * “I am not in favor of concealed weapons. I think that creates a
      potential atmosphere where more innocent people could (get shot during)
      altercations.”
      * “The package (legislation passed in the Illinois Senate) closes the
      Firearm Owners Identification (FOID) card loopholes which resulted in the
      shooting out in Melrose Park. We’re eliminating 17 specific assault
      weapons. There is no reason why anybody should need an assault weapon to protect
      themselves or their family. We’re limiting handgun sales to one a month. We’
      re calling for handgun registration. It’s very hard right now to track
      whether or not a felon has turned in his weapons or if he has a FOID card
      because we don’t know how many weapons he has purchased.”
      Without a doubt, the current administration is the most anti-gun
      administration in our nation’s history. Don’t let the hullabaloo over healthcare
      and cap and trade cause you to let your guard down.
      And be sure you cling to your guns and religion. They may soon be all you
      have.