Re: Missouri State Private Investiator's License

  • Ricky Gurley
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 11, 2009
      --- In infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Marlin" <djmarlin@...> wrote:

      > I don't see where that is useless babble. In Iowa you can't have a PI
      > license if you have ever been convicted of a Felony. I would assume that
      > most states would have a similar requirement. I could see an attorney
      > ripping apart a PI's credibility on a cross exam if the PI was a convicted
      > Felon.

      And some states are a little more strict about his than others Jeff. But there is a "trend" in how society is starting to look at this issue. And more and more people are starting to take a view much like Sue Sarkis posted here earlier today. I think that is a more intelligent view. I also think that the proper way to screen is by individual applicant, and not to apply such broad rules to people that want such professional licenses.

      I don't believe that an attorney could "rip apart" the credibility of an intelligent Private Investigator that has a felony conviction. All the attorney can do is ask the questions, that attorney can not impeach the Private Investigator's testimony; reliability and credibility -- matters which are left to the province of the jury. State v. O'Haver, 33 S.W.3d 555, 559 (Mo. App. W.D. 2000).

      The fact of the matter is; it is all a matter of how honest and how well the Private Investigator explains himself as it remains solely within the province of the jury to determine the credibility of each witness, United States v. Torres, 53 F.3d 1129, 1140 (10th Cir.).

      This non-sense about how a convicted felon's credibility can so easily be made an issue of in court, is just that; NON-SENSE! Convicted felons testify for the government every day! Cell mates convicted of felonies are used as government witnesses all of the time. Convicted felons in organized crime cultures are used as government witnesses and protected every day. If there were any worries about a convicted felon having a P.I. License, this would be at the bottom of the list......

      Do you believe John Gotti was guilty of his charges? If so, then you believed the testimony of a convicted felon to come to your conclusion, because without Salvatore "Sammy the Bull" Gravano's testimony John Gotti would have never been convicted of his crimes.......

      Rick.

      Direct Office Number: (573) 234-6876
      Office Phone: (573) 234-4647 Ext. 110
      Car Phone: (573) 529-0808