Re: [infoguys-list] Missouri State Private Investiator's License

  • Bob Hrodey
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 11, 2009
      suesarkis@..., wrote the following at or about 8/11/2009 10:31 AM:
      > Rick -
      >
      > I have no problem with convicted felons being able to eventually apply for
      > and obtain a PI license. However, I think TWO YEARS is way too soon.
      >
      > Also, you state that the two years starts after adjudication. So, if I'm
      > sentenced to 3 years in State Prison the minute I'm released I'm eligible to
      > apply for a PI license? Darn, the least they could have done is allowed
      > for the application post disposition of the case in its entirety which
      > would include parole, etc.

      Actually, I believe adjudication occurs at the moment of conviction, not
      at the expiration of the sentence. Ergo, that gent who caught three
      years would be eligible for licensure before his sentence was finished :-P

      --

      Enjoy,

      /Bob/
      Hrodey & Associates Established 1977
      NAPPS
      Woodstock, IL 60098-0366 NCISS, & P.A.W.L.I.
      Licensed in IL & WI (815) 337-4636 Voice
      337-4638 Fax
      email: inquiry@... <mailto:inquiry@...>
      or rth@... <mailto:rth@...>
      Illinois License 115-000783 Wisconsin 8045-063

    • VIC NEGRON
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 11, 2009
        Are you people, crazy a convicted felon should never have the right to

        obtain a P.I. license!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Come on people wake up!

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 11, 2009
          VIC NEGRON, wrote the following at or about 8/11/2009 3:18 PM:
          > Are you people, crazy a convicted felon should never have the right to
          >
          > obtain a P.I. license!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Come on people wake up!

          Vic, why don't you move to Missouri, run for the legislature or governor
          and change it?

          This is probably the most coherent reply you've made to this list and
          yet it says very little. Keep up the good work.

          --

          Enjoy,

          /Bob/
          Hrodey & Associates Established 1977
          NAPPS
          Woodstock, IL 60098-0366 NCISS, & P.A.W.L.I.
          Licensed in IL & WI (815) 337-4636 Voice
          337-4638 Fax
          email: inquiry@... <mailto:inquiry@...>
          or rth@... <mailto:rth@...>
          Illinois License 115-000783 Wisconsin 8045-063

        • Ricky Gurley
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 11, 2009
            --- In infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com, VIC NEGRON <vicpi@...> wrote:

            > Are you people, crazy a convicted felon should never have the right to
            >
            > obtain a P.I. license!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Come on people wake up!

            Mr. Negron, that is probably the most useless bit of babble that I have read in a long time. Not only is it useless, it is harmful. Your post is so moronic that some people from this group will actually come away even stupider than they already were after having read it.

            Have a good day.

            Rick.

            Direct Office Number: (573) 234-6876
            Office Phone: (573) 234-4647 Ext. 110
            Car Phone: (573) 529-0808
            Cell Phone: (573) 529-4476
            Toll Free Phone: (888) 571-0958
            Toll Free Fax: (877) 795-9800
            EMERGENCY LINE: (573) 234-4871

            RMRI, Inc. Websites
            (1) http://www.rmriinc.com

            RMRI, Inc. Blogs
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 11, 2009
              Mr. Negron -

              I am not a liberal by anyone's definition. However, I do believe that
              people deserve a second chance and depending upon the crimes involved, should
              not always be made to be janitors. If they can go to law school or medical
              school, what the hell makes you think we're any better?

              We strive for rehabilitation in this country as well as contrition.
              Depending upon the needs, many attorneys wouldn't mind using said person, as
              I've asked a few, and they would be prepared, in advance, to rehabilitate them
              on the witness stand if need be.

              Fortune 500 companies routinely hire white collar convicts after release as
              they have proven to be experts in breaking security barriers, pyramiding
              successfully, etc. What better people to hire to help you improve your
              system if they are the ones that broke through it?

              If we don't allow them the self-respect of having respectable and decent
              gainful employment, we are giving them a GREEN light to go out and commit
              more crimes.

              I'm not soap boxing an all out movement to hire ex-cons. However, if they
              have paid their full debt to society, some might prove to be worthy as well
              as beneficial to us.

              In a message dated 8/11/2009 1:19:01 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
              vicpi@... writes:

              Are you people, crazy a convicted felon should never have the right to

              obtain a P.I. license!!!!!obtain a obtain a P.I. license!!!!!<W

              (mailto:infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com)

              <mailto:_inquiry@..._ (mailto:inquiry@...) >
              > or _rth@..._ (mailto:rth@...) <mailto:_rth@..._
              (mailto:rth@...) >
              > Illinois License 115-000783 Wisconsin 8045-063

              ">_infoguys-list-infoguys-lisinfoguys-lisinf_
              (mailto:infoguys-list-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com) </a><br/>

              ________________________

              thank a military veteran

            • Jeff Marlin
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 11, 2009
                I don't see where that is useless babble. In Iowa you can't have a PI
                license if you have ever been convicted of a Felony. I would assume that
                most states would have a similar requirement. I could see an attorney
                ripping apart a PI's credibility on a cross exam if the PI was a convicted
                Felon.

                Below is an excerpt form the Iowa Code in reference to PI Licensing.

                80A.4 License requirements.

                1. Applications for a license or license renewal shall be submitted to the
                commissioner in the form the commissioner prescribes. A license or license
                renewal shall not be issued unless the applicant:

                a. Is eighteen years of age or older.

                b. Is not a peace officer.

                c. Has never been convicted of a felony or aggravated misdemeanor.

                d. Is not addicted to the use of alcohol or a controlled substance.

                e. Does not have a history of repeated acts of violence.

                f. Is of good moral character and has not been judged guilty of a crime
                involving moral turpitude.

                g. Has not been convicted of a crime described in section 708.3, 708.4,
                708.5, 708.6, 708.8, or 708.9.

                h. Has not been convicted of illegally using, carrying or possessing a
                dangerous weapon.

                I. Has not been convicted of fraud.

                j. Provides fingerprints to the department.

                k. Complies with other qualifications and requirements the commissioner
                adopts by rule.

                and so on...

                Jeff Marlin

                Marlin's Special Investigations, Inc.

                Cedar Rapids, Iowa

                (1) http://www.rmriinc. <http://www.rmriinc.com> com
                (2) http://rmriinc. <http://rmriinc.bestcyberinvestigator.com>
                bestcyberinvestigator.com

                RMRI, Inc. Blogs
                (1) http://rmriinc. <http://rmriinc.blogspot.com/index.html>
                blogspot.com/index.html
                (2) http://rmriincspace <http://rmriincspace.spaces.live.com/>
                .spaces.live.com/

              • Ricky Gurley
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 11, 2009
                  --- In infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Marlin" <djmarlin@...> wrote:

                  > I don't see where that is useless babble. In Iowa you can't have a PI
                  > license if you have ever been convicted of a Felony. I would assume that
                  > most states would have a similar requirement. I could see an attorney
                  > ripping apart a PI's credibility on a cross exam if the PI was a convicted
                  > Felon.

                  And some states are a little more strict about his than others Jeff. But there is a "trend" in how society is starting to look at this issue. And more and more people are starting to take a view much like Sue Sarkis posted here earlier today. I think that is a more intelligent view. I also think that the proper way to screen is by individual applicant, and not to apply such broad rules to people that want such professional licenses.

                  I don't believe that an attorney could "rip apart" the credibility of an intelligent Private Investigator that has a felony conviction. All the attorney can do is ask the questions, that attorney can not impeach the Private Investigator's testimony; reliability and credibility -- matters which are left to the province of the jury. State v. O'Haver, 33 S.W.3d 555, 559 (Mo. App. W.D. 2000).

                  The fact of the matter is; it is all a matter of how honest and how well the Private Investigator explains himself as it remains solely within the province of the jury to determine the credibility of each witness, United States v. Torres, 53 F.3d 1129, 1140 (10th Cir.).

                  This non-sense about how a convicted felon's credibility can so easily be made an issue of in court, is just that; NON-SENSE! Convicted felons testify for the government every day! Cell mates convicted of felonies are used as government witnesses all of the time. Convicted felons in organized crime cultures are used as government witnesses and protected every day. If there were any worries about a convicted felon having a P.I. License, this would be at the bottom of the list......

                  Do you believe John Gotti was guilty of his charges? If so, then you believed the testimony of a convicted felon to come to your conclusion, because without Salvatore "Sammy the Bull" Gravano's testimony John Gotti would have never been convicted of his crimes.......