run over

  • Jurydoctor@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 11, 2009
      :

      Pedestrian has right of way. Simon is at fault. If I were on the jury I would side with the plaintiff for sure. And with Simon not wearing his glasses, he obviously couldn't see them. How dangerous. He should have waited for them to cross the street and then moved forward. Also, does he have a CDL license? It says below that he was not qualified to drive a tractor trailer. What's the deal on that?

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 11, 2009
        Good morning all -

        For starters, pedestrians do NOT have the right of way on private
        property. No one was crossing any street but rather were within the confines of a
        parking lot. Right of way laws are for highways and intersections, marked
        or otherwise. Each state has their own specifics. Even in FL a pedestrian
        ONLY has the right of way when crossing at marked crosswalks or
        intersections and must yield the right of way to vehicles at all other times. FS
        316.130 (10) That does not mean that commonsense should not be used at all
        times.

        However, I do know that in FL the law specifically says at Section 316.130
        (8), " No pedestrian shall suddenly leave a curb or other place of safety
        and walk or run into the path of a vehicle which is so close that it is
        impossible for the driver to yield." Although this was an apparent accident,
        and although this was private property and not a highway, it would appear
        that that is precisely what Clem did.

        Simon was not so impaired as stated by the allegation he was not wearing
        his glasses as implied since he DID blow his horn a couple of times which is
        all FL law truly requires.

        Drivers are to exercise due care to avoid colliding with any pedestrian.
        That truly is what Simon did. Clem fell or tripped and it was an accident.
        Simon states that there was absolutely nothing he could have done to avoid
        this under the circumstances and Clem's friend who was with him, Tim,
        agreed with Simon.

        Of course he had a driver's license. That speaks for itself.

        thank a military veteran