Missouri State Private Investiator's License

  • Ricky Gurley
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 11, 2009
      Well, we here in Missouri are on our way to having a state Private Investigator's License. And I for one am pretty happy about it.

      Missouri seems to have found a nice balance between protecting the consumer and not impeding on anyone's ability to make a living that is in the P.I. Business in the state of Missouri already.

      Of course there are some people that are in other states that seem really God awfully worried about the felony clause that has allowed for anyone with an adjudicated felony conviction older than two years to have a P.I. License in the state of Missouri.

      It is a bit disturbing to me that one such person that seems to be questioning Missouri's felony restriction is in a state that prohibits P.I.'s from having a P.I. license, and yet has multiple, violent, federal felony convictions of a terrorist nature.

      I sometimes wonder how supposed intelligent people can't understand that it is really not smart to throw stones inside of their glass houses?

      Rick.

      A REALLY Site: http://rmri.no-ip.org/mydms

      Request a Username and Password

      The public can just click the link: "log in as guest" for access
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 11, 2009
        Rick -

        I have no problem with convicted felons being able to eventually apply for
        and obtain a PI license. However, I think TWO YEARS is way too soon.

        Also, you state that the two years starts after adjudication. So, if I'm
        sentenced to 3 years in State Prison the minute I'm released I'm eligible to
        apply for a PI license? Darn, the least they could have done is allowed
        for the application post disposition of the case in its entirety which
        would include parole, etc.

        Sue

        In a message dated 8/11/2009 7:28:57 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
        rmriinc@... writes:

        Well, we here in Missouri are on our way to having a state Private
        Investigator'Well, we here in Missouri are on our way to having a s

        A REALLY Site: _http://rmri.http://rmrhttp:_ (http://rmri.no-ip.org/mydms)

        Request a Username and Password

        The public can just click the link: "log in as guest" for access

      • Bob Hrodey
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 11, 2009
          suesarkis@..., wrote the following at or about 8/11/2009 10:31 AM:
          > Rick -
          >
          > I have no problem with convicted felons being able to eventually apply for
          > and obtain a PI license. However, I think TWO YEARS is way too soon.
          >
          > Also, you state that the two years starts after adjudication. So, if I'm
          > sentenced to 3 years in State Prison the minute I'm released I'm eligible to
          > apply for a PI license? Darn, the least they could have done is allowed
          > for the application post disposition of the case in its entirety which
          > would include parole, etc.

          Actually, I believe adjudication occurs at the moment of conviction, not
          at the expiration of the sentence. Ergo, that gent who caught three
          years would be eligible for licensure before his sentence was finished :-P

          --

          Enjoy,

          /Bob/
          Hrodey & Associates Established 1977
          NAPPS
          Woodstock, IL 60098-0366 NCISS, & P.A.W.L.I.
          Licensed in IL & WI (815) 337-4636 Voice
          337-4638 Fax
          email: inquiry@... <mailto:inquiry@...>
          or rth@... <mailto:rth@...>
          Illinois License 115-000783 Wisconsin 8045-063

        • VIC NEGRON
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 11, 2009
            Are you people, crazy a convicted felon should never have the right to

            obtain a P.I. license!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Come on people wake up!

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 11, 2009
              VIC NEGRON, wrote the following at or about 8/11/2009 3:18 PM:
              > Are you people, crazy a convicted felon should never have the right to
              >
              > obtain a P.I. license!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Come on people wake up!

              Vic, why don't you move to Missouri, run for the legislature or governor
              and change it?

              This is probably the most coherent reply you've made to this list and
              yet it says very little. Keep up the good work.

              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 11, 2009
                --- In infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com, VIC NEGRON <vicpi@...> wrote:

                > Are you people, crazy a convicted felon should never have the right to
                >
                > obtain a P.I. license!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Come on people wake up!

                Mr. Negron, that is probably the most useless bit of babble that I have read in a long time. Not only is it useless, it is harmful. Your post is so moronic that some people from this group will actually come away even stupider than they already were after having read it.

                Have a good day.

                Rick.

                Direct Office Number: (573) 234-6876
                Office Phone: (573) 234-4647 Ext. 110
                Car Phone: (573) 529-0808
                Cell Phone: (573) 529-4476
                Toll Free Phone: (888) 571-0958
                Toll Free Fax: (877) 795-9800
                EMERGENCY LINE: (573) 234-4871

                RMRI, Inc. Websites
                (1) http://www.rmriinc.com

                RMRI, Inc. Blogs
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 11, 2009
                  Mr. Negron -

                  I am not a liberal by anyone's definition. However, I do believe that
                  people deserve a second chance and depending upon the crimes involved, should
                  not always be made to be janitors. If they can go to law school or medical
                  school, what the hell makes you think we're any better?

                  We strive for rehabilitation in this country as well as contrition.
                  Depending upon the needs, many attorneys wouldn't mind using said person, as
                  I've asked a few, and they would be prepared, in advance, to rehabilitate them
                  on the witness stand if need be.

                  Fortune 500 companies routinely hire white collar convicts after release as
                  they have proven to be experts in breaking security barriers, pyramiding
                  successfully, etc. What better people to hire to help you improve your
                  system if they are the ones that broke through it?

                  If we don't allow them the self-respect of having respectable and decent
                  gainful employment, we are giving them a GREEN light to go out and commit
                  more crimes.

                  I'm not soap boxing an all out movement to hire ex-cons. However, if they
                  have paid their full debt to society, some might prove to be worthy as well
                  as beneficial to us.

                  In a message dated 8/11/2009 1:19:01 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                  vicpi@... writes:

                  Are you people, crazy a convicted felon should never have the right to

                  obtain a P.I. license!!!!!obtain a obtain a P.I. license!!!!!<W

                  (mailto:infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com)

                  <mailto:_inquiry@..._ (mailto:inquiry@...) >
                  > or _rth@..._ (mailto:rth@...) <mailto:_rth@..._
                  (mailto:rth@...) >
                  > Illinois License 115-000783 Wisconsin 8045-063

                  ">_infoguys-list-infoguys-lisinfoguys-lisinf_
                  (mailto:infoguys-list-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com) </a><br/>

                  ________________________

                  thank a military veteran

                • Jeff Marlin
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 11, 2009
                    I don't see where that is useless babble. In Iowa you can't have a PI
                    license if you have ever been convicted of a Felony. I would assume that
                    most states would have a similar requirement. I could see an attorney
                    ripping apart a PI's credibility on a cross exam if the PI was a convicted
                    Felon.

                    Below is an excerpt form the Iowa Code in reference to PI Licensing.

                    80A.4 License requirements.

                    1. Applications for a license or license renewal shall be submitted to the
                    commissioner in the form the commissioner prescribes. A license or license
                    renewal shall not be issued unless the applicant:

                    a. Is eighteen years of age or older.

                    b. Is not a peace officer.

                    c. Has never been convicted of a felony or aggravated misdemeanor.

                    d. Is not addicted to the use of alcohol or a controlled substance.

                    e. Does not have a history of repeated acts of violence.

                    f. Is of good moral character and has not been judged guilty of a crime
                    involving moral turpitude.

                    g. Has not been convicted of a crime described in section 708.3, 708.4,
                    708.5, 708.6, 708.8, or 708.9.

                    h. Has not been convicted of illegally using, carrying or possessing a
                    dangerous weapon.

                    I. Has not been convicted of fraud.

                    j. Provides fingerprints to the department.

                    k. Complies with other qualifications and requirements the commissioner
                    adopts by rule.

                    and so on...

                    Jeff Marlin

                    Marlin's Special Investigations, Inc.

                    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

                    (1) http://www.rmriinc. <http://www.rmriinc.com> com
                    (2) http://rmriinc. <http://rmriinc.bestcyberinvestigator.com>
                    bestcyberinvestigator.com

                    RMRI, Inc. Blogs
                    (1) http://rmriinc. <http://rmriinc.blogspot.com/index.html>
                    blogspot.com/index.html
                    (2) http://rmriincspace <http://rmriincspace.spaces.live.com/>
                    .spaces.live.com/

                  • Ricky Gurley
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 11, 2009
                      --- In infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Marlin" <djmarlin@...> wrote:

                      > I don't see where that is useless babble. In Iowa you can't have a PI
                      > license if you have ever been convicted of a Felony. I would assume that
                      > most states would have a similar requirement. I could see an attorney
                      > ripping apart a PI's credibility on a cross exam if the PI was a convicted
                      > Felon.

                      And some states are a little more strict about his than others Jeff. But there is a "trend" in how society is starting to look at this issue. And more and more people are starting to take a view much like Sue Sarkis posted here earlier today. I think that is a more intelligent view. I also think that the proper way to screen is by individual applicant, and not to apply such broad rules to people that want such professional licenses.

                      I don't believe that an attorney could "rip apart" the credibility of an intelligent Private Investigator that has a felony conviction. All the attorney can do is ask the questions, that attorney can not impeach the Private Investigator's testimony; reliability and credibility -- matters which are left to the province of the jury. State v. O'Haver, 33 S.W.3d 555, 559 (Mo. App. W.D. 2000).

                      The fact of the matter is; it is all a matter of how honest and how well the Private Investigator explains himself as it remains solely within the province of the jury to determine the credibility of each witness, United States v. Torres, 53 F.3d 1129, 1140 (10th Cir.).

                      This non-sense about how a convicted felon's credibility can so easily be made an issue of in court, is just that; NON-SENSE! Convicted felons testify for the government every day! Cell mates convicted of felonies are used as government witnesses all of the time. Convicted felons in organized crime cultures are used as government witnesses and protected every day. If there were any worries about a convicted felon having a P.I. License, this would be at the bottom of the list......

                      Do you believe John Gotti was guilty of his charges? If so, then you believed the testimony of a convicted felon to come to your conclusion, because without Salvatore "Sammy the Bull" Gravano's testimony John Gotti would have never been convicted of his crimes.......