Heny Gates Jr. Incident...

  • Ricky Gurley
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 30, 2009
      The biggest problem with this incident is that it is getting and has gottten WAY too much attention......

      It is an interesting discussion, and after hearing Chuck's side of this, I don't know exactly how I fee about this whole ordeal. Chuck makes some good points, and before he made those points I was completely on the Officer's side. Now, I don't know exactly how I feel about his.

      But.....

      It really does not matter to me other than as a discussion here on the group. Because all this incident amounted to was a misdemeanor charge that got dropped. And I have to say, that seems pretty insignificant to me. Call it racism. Call it the Officer doing his job. it really does not matter much either way at his point in time; because the charge was dropped and what we are left with is more speculation than anything else. I believe all of the publicity is what caused the charge to be dropped. Subtract all of this publicity and this case would have went where it should have went, to court in front of a Judge and Jury. Then I think this whole incident could have been more fairly decided....

      Rick.

      Direct Office Number: (573) 234-6876
      Office Phone: (573) 234-4647 Ext. 110
      Car Phone: (573) 529-0808
      Cell Phone: (573) 529-4476
      Toll Free Phone: (888) 571-0958
      Toll Free Fax: (877) 795-9800
      EMERGENCY LINE: (573) 234-4871

      RMRI, Inc. Websites
      (1) http://www.rmriinc.com

      RMRI, Inc. Blogs
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 30, 2009
        In a message dated 7/30/2009 1:22:29 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
        rmriinc@... writes:

        I believe all of the publicity is what caused the charge to be dropped.

        Rick -

        According to all counts, the President called the Governor who called the
        State Attorney General who called the local District Attorney. Do you
        think a small fry like a "filing deputy" would stand a chance?

        That's typical Chicago politics !!!!

        ________________________

        thank a military veteran
        **************Hot Deals at Dell on Popular Laptops perfect for Back to
        School
        (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1223105306x1201716871/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Faltfarm.mediaplex.com%2Fad%2Fck%2F12309%2D81939%2D1629%2D9)

      • Jim Parker
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 30, 2009
          <<<< According to all counts, the President called the Governor who called
          the
          State Attorney General who called the local District Attorney. >>>>>

          Sue,

          "all counts"???

          I haven't read one single count which even slightly suggests that, other
          than yours. Not on FOX, CNN (who would undoubtedly be all over it if it
          were true) or anywhere else. In fact, Obama's "acted stupidly" remark
          wasn't even made until the day after the charges had already been dropped.

          Rick is right in that all we're left with is speculation as to what really
          transpired at Gates' house, but the fact that the charges WERE dropped (on
          the recommendation of Cambridge PD) does lend a lot of credibility to
          Chuck's suggestion that the arrest had no merit to begin with. Rick is
          probably also right when he said: "I believe all of the publicity is what
          caused the charge to be dropped." although perhaps not in the way he thinks.

          In such a highly charged and publicized case, no District Attorney in their
          right mind is going to go up against a bunch of Harvard law professors with
          a case where the initial arrest has no backing, and that they're unlikely to
          win.

          And as we can only speculate, I'm going to propose that both Sgt. Crowley
          AND Prof. Gates both "acted stupidly".

          Jim

          _www.sarkispi.com_ (http://www.sarkispi.com/ <http://www.sarkispi.com/> )

          thank a military veteran
          **************Hot Deals at Dell on Popular Laptops perfect for Back to
          School
          (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1223105306x1201716871/aol?redir=htt
          p:%2F%2Faltfarm.mediaplex.com%2Fad%2Fck%2F12309%2D81939%2D1629%2D9
          <http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1223105306x1201716871/aol?redir=htt
          p:%2F%2Faltfarm.mediaplex.com%2Fad%2Fck%2F12309%2D81939%2D1629%2D9> )

          05:58:00
        • VIC NEGRON
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 30, 2009
            WOW, WORK MUST BE REALLY SLOW!

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 30, 2009
              Jim -

              For starters, most of the allegations came out of the mouth of an attorney
              named Prince, first name unknown, who stated that while he was meeting with
              the Chief of Police of Cambridge prior to the release, Gov. Deval had
              already spoken with the mayor. At the time I was curious and did a little bit
              of looking and discovered that -

              Prof. Gates, a famous, black, civil rights leader, who is also the director
              of Harvard's W.E.B. Du Bois Institute for African and African American
              Research who was a member of the first 6 black graduates from Yale in 1966 is
              personal friends with:

              The mayor of Cambridge;
              The Governor of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts; and,
              The President of the United States of America.

              I would say he knew someone...

              Within minutes of the charges being dropped, Cambridge Mayor Denise
              Simmons, who also is black, said at a news conference that she spoke with Gates
              and apologized on behalf of the city, and a statement from the city called
              the July 16 incident "regrettable and unfortunate". This was a joint apology
              from the mayor's office and the Cambridge P.D.

              Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick, once the top civil rights official in the
              Clinton administration and now, like Obama, the first black to hold his
              job, labeled the arrest “every black man’s nightmare.” Deval Patrick made
              the phone call to the locals in the very beginning per Fox news. Gov. Deval
              Patrick, subsequent to the release, said he was troubled and upset over
              the incident while referring to Prof. Gates as "Skip".

              President Obama also referred to him as "Skip" when he was making his
              accusations.

              Consider the racist attitude of Prof. Gates, and YES, I've read some of his
              works, aside from bits and pieces reported, there is no doubt in my mind
              that he was on the phone with everyone because, after all, Sgt. Crowley is a
              racist !!!!!! There is also no doubt in my mind that everyone was also on
              the phone with the Chief of Police.

              Do you really believe a Chief of Police would report an arrest by one of
              their finest and top notch officers as REGRETABLE without their being some
              pressure from above?

              Sue

              **************Hot Deals at Dell on Popular Laptops perfect for Back to
              School
              (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1223105306x1201716871/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Faltfarm.mediaplex.com%2Fad%2Fck%2F12309%2D81939%2D1629%2D9)

            • Sue Sarkis
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 30, 2009
                --- In infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com, VIC NEGRON <vicpi@...> wrote:

                > WOW, WORK MUST BE REALLY SLOW!

                Vic -

                Since you are reading and responding, yep, your work must be slow. I'm just taking a break !!!

                Sue Sarkis
              • RanchoAttySvc@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 30, 2009
                  In a message dated 7/30/2009 2:51:53 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                  suesarkis@... writes:

                  In infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com, VIC NEGRON <vicpi@...> wrote:

                  > WOW, WORK MUST BE REALLY SLOW!

                  Geez, Victor. Being that you're a retired New York City policeman I
                  would have expected more of a contribution to an ongoing discussion. What are
                  YOUR thoughts on the situation? How would YOU have handled the matter had
                  you been in Sgt Crowley's place at the time he responded to the call?

                  Michele Dawn
                  RPS #117 Riverside and CA PI 24790
                  Rancho Attorney Service of California
                  Temecula, CA 92590
                  951-693-0165
                  951-693-4056 fax

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 30, 2009
                    <<<< President Obama also referred to him as "Skip" >>>>

                    Uhhhh... Sue...

                    President Obama is a graduate of Harvard Law School, and Henry Gates is a professor at Harvard. Not only should it not surprise you that they would know one another, but from his very first comment on the matter, the President made no secret of the fact that he and Gates were "friends."

                    However, my point is that your statement was: "ACCORDING TO ALL COUNTS, the President called the Governor who called the State Attorney General who called the local District Attorney" yet you haven't provided ONE count where anyone, other than you, has so much as suggested any such thing.

                    Instead, this alleged exact chain of communication, supposedly reported by everyone the planet, has been reduced to "Some attorney, whose name you don't know, apparently said that he heard ..."

                    That's not even nearly the same thing.

                    <<<< a statement from the city called the July 16 incident "regrettable and unfortunate". This was a joint apology from the mayor's office and the Cambridge P.D. >>>>

                    Nope, sorry... that's not true either. What you're referring to was merely a press release which said: "The City of Cambridge, the Cambridge Police Department, AND PROFESSOR GATES acknowledge that the incident of July 16, 2009 was regrettable and unfortunate."

                    http://www.cambridgema.gov/CPD/News/NewsDetail.cfm?story_id=2250

                    That's not any form of "joint apology from the Mayor's office and the Cambridge P.D." - it's a comment from all involved, INCLUDING PROFESSOR GATES, that the incident was "regrettable and unfortunate" which it certainly appears to have been for all concerned.

                    <<<< Do you really believe a Chief of Police would report an arrest by one of their finest and top notch officers as REGRETABLE without their being some
                    pressure from above? >>>>

                    Assuming the arrest should never have happened, which is a distinct possibility, then yes... it's called damage control.

                    (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1223105306x1201716871/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Faltfarm.mediaplex.com%2Fad%2Fck%2F12309%2D81939%2D1629%2D9 <http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1223105306x1201716871/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Faltfarm.mediaplex.com%2Fad%2Fck%2F12309%2D81939%2D1629%2D9> )

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 30, 2009
                      Jim -

                      The attorney was Prof. Gates' own attorney. I didn't say I didn't know
                      his name. His last name, as I recall, was Prince but I don't remember his
                      first name.

                      I never said "everyone on the planet" but rather "all counts" meaning "all
                      accounts that I heard" with my own ears.

                      The written press releases issued by the D.A., the City and the PD as well
                      as the one issued by Gates, the City and the P.D. was not quite the same as
                      when the mayor herself, standing next to the Police Commissioner (I think
                      that's who he was, possibly Chief) verbally made her statement. They were
                      not the same and he did not speak for Mr. Gates who was not there at the
                      live press conference I witnessed.

                      Perhaps you might want to go seek out the audio tapes from the call at the
                      home of Mr. Gates and see if you can truly think it was a two sided blame

                      Sue

                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 2, 2009
                        YOU FOLKS NEED TO FIND A LIFE!