Re: [FAPILIST] FW: Gates arrest - a little spin Chipper

  • oracleintl@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 29, 2009
      I agree with you Chipper, and I think most everyone who ever carried a
      badge and a gun does too. " . . . simply walk away" is not a law enforcement
      solution. If he had used a taser on the knucklehead, that would have given
      us all something to talk about.

      The bottom line to me is, there's no story at all here if the racial
      component is removed or reversed.

      Seriously, let's say that a black, veteran law enforcement officer is
      dispatched to investigate a possible break-in, where a white guy has, in fact,
      broken into his own house. Instead of decency, he gets attitude.

      "This is my house. Give you boys a badge and you think you are somebody.
      I ain't havin no nigger gimme shit in my own damn house, now you get your
      black ass off my porch . . . "

      Somebody wanna finish that story for me?

      Somebody expect him to "just simply walk away?"

      Somebody wanna tell me that Obama's gonna have something to say on
      national TV about how that story ends?

      When this racist mutt gets tuned up, are we gonna be having this
      discussion?

      No Chipper, I think you're absolutely right.

      Bill E. Branscum, Investigator
      Irascible Curmudgeon,
      Contumelious Cynic,
      Inveterate Skeptic &
      Incorrigible Purveyor of Pointed Prose

      Oracle International
      Naples, FL 34101
      (239) 304-1639 V
      (239) 304-1640 F
      (239) 641-6782 C

      In a message dated 7/28/2009 10:34:57 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      gulfcoastpi@... writes:

      Group,
      I find all this discussion very interesting to say the least. While I have
      followed this whole ordeal ever since it came to light on National TV only
      to see some of our on people standing by the Professor here. They say"well
      the officer should have simplely walked away". Now, for many of you that
      have been or still are involved in Law Enforcement to have to put up with
      this crap that this Professor displayed, you don't get paid enought to take
      this crap let alone have someone like this professor disrespect our finest. I
      guess this is one where everyone has there reasons for sitting on top of
      the fence and leaning towards the Professor which should have been arrested
      and booked. One other thing here while I'm on my soapbox, what the hell is
      Obama sticking his nose in this for, oh wait, never mine that question, I
      know & you know why.
      Have a great evening group.
      justmy2ct worth.

      *****************************
      Robert (Chipper) Bryan
      Owner/ Investigator
      Night Owl Investigations
      P.O. Box 19137
      Panama City Beach, Fl. 32417
      Office: 850-522-8010
      Fax: 850-522-0704
      Cell: 850-527-0215
      Florida License # A-2200181
      E-Mail: _gulfcoastpi@gulfcoast_ (mailto:gulfcoastpi@...)
      Website: _www.nightowlinvestiwww.nightow_
      (http://www.nightowlinvestigations.com/)
      _www.myfapi.org/_ (http://www.myfapi.org/)

      Northern Area Director--FAPI
      Charter Member--FAPI
      Conference Committee Chair--FAPI

      ____________________________________
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 29, 2009
        Bill,

        I hate to disagree but I do. If you become a cop, you also take the heat,
        the remarks, and the attitudes in stride. You recognize when a person has
        a right to free speech and a right to not be subject to unreasonable search
        and seizure's.
        I think you have a duty to be fair and to play by the rules. Even if
        you get mad, frustrated and grind your teeth.
        If a person cannot handle that, they have no business in law enforcement.
        You are the guy's in the white hat and as such have to play by the rules,
        like it or not.

        Yes, I have been there too and yes, I have lost my temper a time or two as
        well. I was wrong and weak during those times to do so. I admit my
        mistakes .

        Both people did some wrong here. but the brunt of responsibility still
        rest with the pro at the scene.
        Gates may be good at what he does, but he has no brain in police contact
        case's.

        Crowley was smart to suggest Gates "come out on the porch". Gate's was
        dumb to fall into it.

        As a former LEO we all want to rush and defend our fellow cop's, me
        included. However, when they have a portion of blame or escalate something
        needlessly we have to recognize that too.

        The bad guys can do it any way they want to. The good guys have rules,
        duties,and commitments far exceeding the bad guys.

        Crowley never broke the law. but could he have been smarter? yes. Could he
        have handled it different? Yes. There was a way to produce a different
        outcome.

        The test and the answers are within Crowley and we are all just playing
        Monday morning quarterback. But a good man tries to go over it and see if
        there was a way to have done it better.

        We can all, as former cop's, justify Crowley's actions in our mind's. But
        are we really being honest with our moral code or are we building a defense
        for his actions or Gate's actions? Human nature make's each of us
        different and each of us will approach it a different way I suppose.
        What could "either" man have done different that would have made a
        different outcome? How can we learn from this?

        Police have a lot of power but along with that comes the responsibility to
        use it wisely and to be better than the average citizen at confrontation
        and control of emotions.

        Just presenting the opposite point of view or playing devil's advocate I
        guess.

        If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better
        than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask
        not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May
        your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were
        our countrymen." - Samuel Adams, speech at the Philadelphia State House on
        August 1, 1776.

        Chuck Chambers
        State approved Instructor for PI licensing Course State College of Florida
        Co-President- Florida Association of Private Investigator's
        Charter member- FAPI
        Author "The Private Investigator's Handbook"
        2007 Fapi Outstanding service award
        _WWW.ChambersAgency.com_ (http://www.chambersagency.com/)
        Chambers Investigations
        606 49th st w
        Bradenton Florida 34209
        Lic.# A-0001959
        941-798-3804

        _www.FraudsAndScams_www.Fr_http://www.FraudsAnhttp://www_
        (http://www.fraudsandscams.com/) )

        _gulfcoastpi@gulfcoast_ (mailto:gulfcoastpi@...) writes:

        Group,
        I find all this discussion very interesting to say the least. While I have
        followed this whole ordeal ever since it came to light on National TV only
        to see some of our on people standing by the Professor here. They say"well
        the officer should have simplely walked away". Now, for many of you that
        have been or still are involved in Law Enforcement to have to put up with
        this crap that this Professor displayed, you don't get paid enough to take
        this crap let alone have someone like this professor disrespect our
        finest. I
        guess this is one where everyone has there reasons for sitting on top of
        the fence and leaning towards the Professor which should have been
        arrested
        and booked. One other thing here while I'm on my soapbox, what the hell is
        Obama sticking his nose in this for, oh wait, never mine that question, I
        know & you know why.
        Have a great evening group.
        justmy2ct worth.

        ******************************
        Robert (Chipper) Bryan
        Owner/ Investigator
        Night Owl Investigations
        P.O. Box 19137
        Panama City Beach, Fl. 32417
        Office: 850-522-8010
        Fax: 850-522-0704
        Cell: 850-527-0215
        Florida License # A-2200181
        E-Mail: _gulfcoastpi@E-Mail: _gulfco_gulfcoastpi@gulfcoast_
        (mailto:gulfcoastpi@...) )
        Website: _www.nightowlinvestWebsite: _www.
        (_http://www.nightowlhttp://www.nighhttp_
        (http://www.nightowlinvestigations.com/) )
        _www.myfapi._www.my_http://www.myfapi.http_ (http://www.myfapi.org/) )

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 29, 2009
          Chuck -

          Wait one red second here. I have never been a cop but I am a human and I
          understand human nature. How dare you say that, "Both people did some
          wrong here". What evidence do you have that Crowley did anything wrong?

          Gates returns from a long trip and he's probably tired as usually is the
          case. He finds he cannot gain access to his own house. He is forced to
          break in to his own house which is witnessed by passerbys. A passerby telephones
          the police and reports same.

          Police arrive and when they approach they see the screen door broken and 2
          suitcases on the porch. Not being psychic they do not know if the
          suitcases are coming or going. Eyeball sighting of person inside house raises a
          request to come to the porch and show I.D. Home owner gets an attitude and
          raises the race card.

          Since Crowley is, in fact, the "training officer" for the department
          regarding racial profiling and knows better than most, I will side with him 100%
          just as his black colleagues have. The only fault I find here is the
          dismissal of the charges.

          The timing is the issue with me as a very dear friend of mine had to
          surrender to county jail yesterday for the very same thing that happened at his
          office here in Glendale a few years ago. A silent alarm, his office,
          cleaning crew apologizing to police when they arrived as they accidentally set
          it off, etc., etc., etc. In that case I can assure you that the police were
          total Adam Henry's as was my friend. The dialogue got crazy when GPD
          demanded I.D. and all he had on him at that precise moment and location was his
          passport which was in his shirt pocket. GPD refused to accept a passport
          as acceptable ID and demanded a picture ID issued by CA. It all went
          downhill from there. Trust me when I say "I can assure you" since I recorded
          the entire conversation as he was on the speaker phone with me when the
          police arrived.

          My friend's language was quite inappropriate as were the officers' but at
          least he never raised the RACE card.

          ________________________

          thank a military veteran

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 29, 2009
            Sue,
            This is how I "dare say that"
            Crowley invited Gate's "come out on the porch if you have anything further
            to say".

            Now here is a so called experienced training officer, who respond's to a
            scene with a possible b&E in progress, upon arrival there is sign of forced
            entry or at least reported forced entry.

            He encounter's 2 subject's. One reported to have a backpack.

            Does he do a pat down for weapon's ? No
            Doe's he do any kind of a perimeter search for weapon's? No

            Some guy says to him "oh, I live here" and the experienced all knowing
            training officer accept's that on face value?

            That is the first clue that Crowley does not walk on water as a cop or
            training officer. I have worn Crowley's shoe's. Safety first!

            Now This Gate's turn's combative. Pull's the racial act. So Crowley tries
            to explain. Gate's is having none of it and rave's on.
            Time for Crowley, the experienced, 20 year vet to say.. Look this
            conversation is over, I am leaving. Any complaints feel free to call it in. The
            call is solved, it is indeed the unruley homeowner, but no crime is in
            progress.

            If Gate's persist's and follow's Crowley, Time to say look Gate's you have
            a right to say what you want in your home, you follow me out that door
            into public view acting like this and I will take you down for creating a
            disturbance and I WILL take you to jail.

            But oh noooo our hero says " uh.. Come on out on the porch and say that
            to me Gate's baby"

            Dummy Gate's fall's for it and now our Hero has him right where he want's
            him, and yes, Gates is gonna pay for daring talk back to a police officer..
            yes.. how dare a peon think they can talk back to us like this.

            NO.. the right thing to do is say, this call is over, I am leaving..
            not.." oh come on out here gate's.."

            You know that because your a training officer. You know you job is to keep
            the peace, protect and serve. You know that by inviting Gate's to the
            porch it is not going to magically make all peace and bliss. In fact... with
            all your years of experience.. you see a chance to make him pay.. all you
            have to do is dangle the bait. Your baiting a stupid man who dared piss you
            off.

            Now your smart and you know that what you have done is not illegal, no
            one can charge you for it.. but in your mind you also know there was a better
            more acceptable way of ending this call. Why? because ypou have 20 years
            at this stuff and you train cop's. You train them to calm thing's and people
            down and take control. You train officer's not to escalate thing's and
            make them worse. You tell them way's to avoid such mess's. You mr. Cop have a
            duty to keep your emotions in check. This is not about your ego, this is
            about the law. This is about safety.
            It's Gate's right to spout off all day long about Race if he want's too.
            Especially in his own home. It is not his right to create a public
            disturbance. But he is not doing that in his hom, only if we can bait him outside
            can we get "even".

            Chuck Chambers,
            _www.chamberagency.com_ (http://www.chamberagency.com)

            In a message dated 7/29/2009 12:29:59 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
            suesarkis@... writes:

[...]

            _www.sarkispi._www.s_http://www.sarkispihttp:_ (http://www.sarkispi.com/) )

            thank a military veteran

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 29, 2009
              Chuck -

              Sorry. I didn't realize you were there.

              Sue

              _www.chamberagency._www.c_http://www.chamberahttp://ww_

              _suesarkis@..._ (mailto:suesarkis@...) writes:

[...]

              _www.sarkispi._www.sa_http://www.sarkispihttp:/_
              (http://www.sarkispihttp:_) (_http://www.sarkispihttp:_ (http://www.sarkispi.com/) ) )

              thank a military veteran
              *********************************<WBR>*********<WBR>** at Dell on Popul
              School
              (__http://pr.atwola.http://pr.http://prhttp://pr.atwolhttp://pr.atwolahttp:/
              /_
              (http://pr.atwola.http//pr.atwhttp://pr.atwolahttp://pr.atwolahttp://pr.ht)
              _tp://prhttp:tp://prhtttp://prhtttp://prhttp://prhttp:tp://prhttp:<W_
              (tp://prhttp://pr.http://pr.http://prhttp://pr.atwhttp://pr.atwolhtt_)
              (_http://pr.atwola.http://pr.atwhttp://pr.atwolahttp://pr.atwolahttp://pr.ht
              tp://pr._
              (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1223106546x1201717234/aol?redir=http://alt)
              farm.mediaplex.farm.mediafarm.mediaplfarm.mediaple

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 29, 2009
                Sue,
                I don't either of us was there but attached find the arrest report.

                Chuck Chambers

                _Slipinn@..._ (mailto:Slipinn@...) writes:

[...]

                _www.chamberagency._www.ch_http://www.chamberahttp://www_
                (http://www.chamberahttp//ww_)
                (_http://www.chamberahttp://www_ (http://www.chamberagency.com/) ) )

                In a message dated 7/29/2009 12:29:59 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                __suesarkis@aol._su_ (mailto:_suesarkis@...) _

                _www.sarkispi._www.sar_http://www.sarkispihttp://_
                (http://www.sarkispihttp/_)
                (_http://www.sarkispihttp:/_ (http://www.sarkispihttp:_) )
                (__http://www.sarkispihttp:/_ (http://www.sarkispihttp:_) (_http://www.sarkispihttp:_
                (http://www.sarkispi.com/) ) ) )

                thank a military veteran
                *********************************<WBR>**<WBR>**<<WB>** at Dell on Popul
                School
                (___http://pr.atwola.http://pr.http://pr.atwohttp://pr.atwolhttp://pr.atwola
                h_

                __tp://prhttp:tp://prhttp:tp://prhtttp://prhttp://prhttp://prhttp:_
                (tp://prhttp:tp://prhtttp://prhtttp://prhttp://prhttp:tp://prhttp:) <W_
                (_tp://prhttp:tp://prhtttp://prhtttp://prhttp://prhttp:tp://prhttp:<W_
                (tp://prhttp://pr.http://pr.http://prhttp://pr.atwhttp://pr.atwolhtt_) )
                (__http://pr.atwola.http://pr.http://prhttp://pr.atwolhttp://pr.atwolahttp:/
                /_
                (http://pr.atwola.http//pr.atwhttp://pr.atwolahttp://pr.atwolahttp://pr.ht)
                (_http://pr.atwola.http://pr.atwhttp://pr.atwolahttp://pr.atwolahttp://pr.ht
                tp://pr._
                (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1223106546x1201717234/aol?redir=http://alt) )
                farm.mediaplex.farm.mediaplex.farm.mediaplfarm.med

                ************************<WBR>**<WBR>*Hot Deals at Dell on Popular Lapto