[infoguys-list] Re: VIRUS BEING SENT VIA THIS ...

  • randrews
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 17, 2000
      Dear Ron and List Members:

      First, its a worm, not a virus - and its real, not imagined. Second, it
      finds its way to your
      signature file and when you email it is active in the signature. I'm not
      technical, but that's
      something like an attachment, yes?

      Again, the reference is at
      www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/wscript.kakworm.html

      Whatever the case its Andrew somebody-or-another who originally passed this
      out on the List
      two or more weeks ago. It was not Laura, it was not Phil, it was not Toni,
      it was not anyone
      else - it started with Andrew. More than myself have asked Andrew to clean
      his machine, and
      he respond with s/g like "what virus?" and of course resends the virus in
      his email response.
      Not exactly acting like one of the bright minds of the industry, but maybe
      he' so blindly sure of
      himself he legitimately doesn't understand he is passing it around. I'm
      not going to judge his
      actions on a List. But in the meantime the rest of us are wondering to
      ourselves if we are to be
      shamed for passing the virus onto the list, while the one saying "what
      virus?" is overlooked as
      the Source. By design distinctively 5th Column; intentional, I can't say.
      Are there people that
      would do this? We know the answer is Yes.

      So everyone, there IS A WORM that has passed around.

      Want to get kicked off all the other Lists you're on and shamed by your
      peers? Just don't do
      anything about it.

      Regards, Russ

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 17, 2000
        Dear Laura (et al),

        My virus protection detected and contained this worm before it ever had a
        chance to enter
        my system. I learned from you that I could check my start menu and did so,
        and there
        is nothing there that shouldn't be. I suppose that is because I contained
        it and removed it
        before it could do any harm or make itself permanent. I can only hope that
        others on the
        List will pay heed and not think they Know Best because they only seem to
        understand
        that they have to "open" an attachment to pick something up.

        That is very good of you to offer your assistance to others on this matter.
        Since I alerted
        you, you have obviously been forced to learn more about it than I have to
        date. I'm sorry that
        I can't really answer any questions about the long term effects. I can
        suggest though that
        everyone needs to take some responsible action or they don't belong on the
        List. There's no
        shortage of information about this virus on the search engines, so if they
        don't believe the
        Symantec brief I referenced, then they should go to another page to get some
        education
        on this matter.

        Russ

        >Russ, I didn't know anything about virus' or worms till yesterday and
        >suddenly have been pushed, not by choice, to learn how to get this off my
        >computer. I have learned that it never actually will come off, but can be
        >controled. Eager to learn more about this, I have one question, Why can't
        it
        >ever be able to be removed from my drive? And if there is such a way, do
        you
        >have to quick restore your computer? Is this something that will eat my
        hard
        >drive?
        >There are many people still passing this around and though we are giving
        >warning and directions to check and remove this, they are not.
        >If you feel remotely illiterate and just need help. I am offering any help
        >to anyone who needs guidance in the checking of their system for this worm
        >and help to remove dangerous passing of it.
        >For help call me at 1-941-366-8674 Laura Wallace
        >Without a Doubt Investigations, Inc.
        >www.spygal.com

      • Laura Wallace

          > First, its a worm, not a virus - and its real, not imagined. Second, it
          > finds its way to your
          > signature file and when you email it is active in the signature. I'm not
          > technical, but that's
          > something like an attachment, yes?
          >
          > Again, the reference is at
          > www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/wscript.kakworm.html
          >
          > Whatever the case its Andrew somebody-or-another who originally passed
          this
          > out on the List
          > two or more weeks ago. It was not Laura, it was not Phil, it was not
          Toni,
          > it was not anyone
          > else - it started with Andrew. More than myself have asked Andrew to
          clean
          > his machine, and
          > he respond with s/g like "what virus?" and of course resends the virus in
          > his email response.
          > Not exactly acting like one of the bright minds of the industry, but maybe
          > he' so blindly sure of
          > himself he legitimately doesn't understand he is passing it around. I'm
          > not going to judge his
          > actions on a List. But in the meantime the rest of us are wondering to
          > ourselves if we are to be
          > shamed for passing the virus onto the list, while the one saying "what
          > virus?" is overlooked as
          > the Source. By design distinctively 5th Column; intentional, I can't say.
          > Are there people that
          > would do this? We know the answer is Yes.
          >
          > So everyone, there IS A WORM that has passed around.
          >
          > Want to get kicked off all the other Lists you're on and shamed by your
          > peers? Just don't do
          > anything about it.
          >
          > Regards, Russ

        • Andrew DallaRiva
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 17, 2000
            everyone one the list please note
            I dont have the worm
            I have had my machine checked and I do not have it

            Andrew