Re: [infoguys-list] Not a good thing - SUE

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 3 7:54 AM
      In a message dated 4/3/2009 5:19:40 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
      oracleintl@... writes:

      actually wrote that the distinction between extortion and blackmail is that
      extortion is a threat to do something that would otherwise be a lawful act,
      that was a completely ridiculous thing to say, and I defy you to find one
      single source anywhere that says anything like that.

      Bill -

      I do see a difference between 18 USC §§ 872 and 873 and I truly can see
      where he was coming from. Who knows, maybe my mind is just a stupid as his
      honor. One could only hope !!!

      Doesn't this support what he said regarding the matter that he was
      discussing?

      18 USC §872
      §872. Extortion by officers or employees of the United States
      Whoever, being an officer, or employee of the United States or any
      department or agency thereof, or representing himself to be or assuming to act as
      such, under color or pretense of office or employment commits or attempts an act
      of extortion, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than
      three years, or both; but if the amount so extorted or demanded does not exceed
      $1,000, he shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one
      year, or both.

      18 USC §873
      §873. Blackmail
      Whoever, under a threat of informing, or as a consideration for not
      informing, against any violation of any law of the United States, demands or receives
      any money or other valuable thing, shall be fined under this title or
      imprisoned not more than one year, or both.

      ________________________

      818-246-3001 FAX

      a military veteran
      **************Feeling the pinch at the grocery store? Make dinner for $10 or

    • Lists
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 3 8:10 AM
        I must confess I have not read the entire thread, so if this has been
        covered, please don't flame me into oblivion:

        The major difference being the color of office.
        The judge's argument is that the officials of the government, used the power
        of their office, to obtain actions beneficial to the government. The
        problem with the statute is that it assumes that the official doing the
        "extorting" is requesting money for themselves. In the bank case, the
        officials were attempting to force money into the bank, now in exchange they
        got special issued preferred stock, only available to the U.S. Government,
        which gave the Govt a stake in the banks.
        (sounds like the mob to me).
        I don't think it will ever go anywhere because I don't think we've got a law
        on the books that covers being reverse robbed. :)
        "Stick em up and take all our money"

        :)
        Brian

        _____

        _www.sarkispi.com_ (http://www.sarkispi <http://www.sarkispi.com/> .com/)

        818-246-3001 FAX

        a military veteran
        **************Feeling the pinch at the grocery store? Make dinner for $10 or

        less. (http://food.
        <http://food.aol.com/frugal-feasts?ncid=emlcntusfood00000001>
        aol.com/frugal-feasts?ncid=emlcntusfood00000001)

      • oracleintl@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 3 8:29 AM
          Hi Sue,
          I am not sure the federal statutes would be the best place to look if you
          hope to find support for that argument since their is no federal extortion
          statute per se, but if you see anything in these code sections that supports the
          contention that the difference between Extortion & Blackmail is that
          Extortion relates to a threat to do something that is otherwise lawful, you are doing
          better than I am.

          § 872. Extortion by officers or employees of the United States

          Whoever, being an officer, or employee of the United States or any
          department or agency thereof, or representing himself to be or assuming to act as
          such, under color or pretense of office or employment commits or attempts an act
          of extortion, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than
          three years, or both; but if the amount so extorted or demanded does not exceed
          $1,000, he shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one
          year, or both.

          § 873. Blackmail

          Whoever, under a threat of informing, or as a consideration for not
          informing, against any violation of any law of the United States, demands or receives
          any money or other valuable thing, shall be fined under this title or
          imprisoned not more than one year, or both.

          For those who may find the fact that there is no federal extortion statute
          confusing, the same applies to murder -- and for the same reason. Extortion
          is a state crime, as is murder, as well as most other crimes. It becomes a
          matter of federal jurisdiction when there is a federal connection such as is
          the case in Section 872 -- the extortion is by Officers of the United States,
          related to their office.

          There are numerous and various federal offenses connected to extortion, but
          in each case (the target is the President 871, the target is a foreign
          official 878, the demand is delivered by US mail 876, etc) there is some federal
          issue involved.

          If someone walks up to you in California and verbally communicates an
          extortionate threat, it is entirely possible that there is no federal offense
          involved - unless you pay them. While payment is not actually necessary to make
          the offense of extortion complete, there is a separate federal law against
          receiving the proceeds of extortion because that implicates commerce.

          I must, however, retract my prior statement to the effect that the author of
          that ridiculous assertion is a boob. I like boobs, and I have an undying
          fondness for many of the boobs with which it has been my privilege to become
          familiar, so I shall stick with "bonehead" instead.

          Bill

          _oracleintl@..._ (mailto:oracleintl@...) writes:

[...]

          _www.sarkispi._www.s_http://www.sarkispihttp:_ (http://www.sarkispi.com/) )

          818-246-3001 FAX

          a military veteran
          ************************<WBR>**Feeling the pinch at the grocery store? Make
          dinne
          less. (_http://food.http://food.<WBhttp://food.http://food.<WBRhttp_

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 3 9:22 AM
            Bill -

            The way I understood what he was saying and I could be very wrong is that
            the government said -

            a) if you don't let us, than, -

            b) we will do an audit!

            Although an audit is a perfectly lawful act and although the bank swears
            they could withstand an audit as their books are in order and they are not one
            of the banks that holds deeds, etc., the fact still remains that the bank
            feared they could not withstand the financial penalties attached to having to have
            their staff involved over such a long period of time.

            In other words, you don't have to threaten to break someone's bones or kill
            their family members, both unlawful acts, for it to be extortion. Under the
            section he was referring to it was specifically about when the government
            uses its color of authority to impose pressure.

            However, you are the former fed and neither his honor nor I am so therefore,
            I'll capitulate.

            By the way, if I led you to believe that I personally know Judge Napolitano,
            I do apologize as I don't. I've just read his books, reviewed his cases and
            listened to his interviews.

            Sue
            **************Feeling the pinch at the grocery store? Make dinner for $10 or

          • Slipinn@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 3 9:27 AM
              They had a saying for this back in my Police days.

              "You might beat the rap, but you never beat the ride"

              Chuck Chambers
              Co-President, Florida Association of Private Investigators (FAPI)
              Charter member- FAPI
              Author- The Private Investigator's Handbook
              Recipient of the 2007 Fapi Outstanding service award
              State approved Instructor Class CC intern course-Manatee Community College

              _WWW.ChambersAgency.com_ (http://www.chambersagency.com/)
              Chambers Investigations
              606 49th st w
              Bradenton Florida 34209
              Lic.# A-0001959
              941-798-3804

              In a message dated 4/3/2009 12:25:23 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
              suesarkis@... writes:

[...]

              **************Eat Great & Lose Weight FASTER! Start the South Beach Diet
              Online FREE!
              (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221394870x1201432948/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fad.doubleclick.net%2Fclk%3B213623126%3B35100424%3Bk)