Re: Computer Forensics tools, recommendations

  • Ricky Gurley
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 2009
      --- In infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com, ECKLUND & ASSOCIATES
      <jcecklund912@...> wrote:

      Looking for recommendations for computer forensics tools, software
      etc. I live a stones throw from US Sprint World headquarters, I know a
      gentlemen that is going to get laid off from Sprint, he is interesting
      in getting into computer forensics and needs to be pointed into the
      right direction in doing so... Anybody have a contact or info that I
      can pass on? This guy is the one of the main programers, computer
      systems designer, Just trying to help out someone in need, he could be
      a powerful asset to us all...

      If he is a programmer, then he may have an understanding of .nix
      systems, if so, I'll list some open source tools for you to refer to
      him. The best thing about them are that they are very high quality
      tools, and they are 100% FREE! He could potentially pay a ton of money
      for tools if he does not go open source. Not saying anything bad about
      proprietary software at all, it can just be expensive.

      Open Source Computer Forensics Tools
      AIR: http://air-imager.sourceforge.net/ (Great Imaging Software)

      PTK: http://ptk.dflabs.com/ (Every bit as good as EnCase, or FTK IMHO)

      Autopsy: http://www.sleuthkit.org/autopsy/desc.php (PTK is basically
      an "enhanced Autopsy")

      Scalpel: http://www.digitalforensicssolutions.com/Scalpel/ (Nice!)

      Netwag: http://www.laurentconstantin.com/en/netw/netwag/ (Assortment
      of tools, not all are for forensics, but some can be used for it)

      Virtual Box: http://www.virtualbox.org/ (He should understand the
      value of a virtual environment in this type of work)

      XSteg: http://packages.debian.org/unstable/utils/xsteg (Graphical
      Front End to StegDetect)

      OphCrack: http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/ (Can Be useful in cracking
      passwords, sometimes)

      John The Ripper: http://www.openwall.com/john/ (Another good password
      cracker)

      These are a few of the tools I use. They should give him a pretty fair
      start with a pretty fair price.

      Rick.

      Direct Office Number: (573) 234-6876
      Office Phone: (573) 234-4647 Ext. 110