Re: [infoguys-list] Re: sexual harassment

  • RanchoAttySvc@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 7, 2009
      In a message dated 1/7/2009 6:25:19 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
      Jurydoctor@... writes:

      yes, she had a few no shows at work, once called in that she was too
      intoxicated to work (after her sister's wedding) and not getting along with
      other
      emplyees

      She sounds like a whiner. Just my $0.02 cents worth.

      _ "RASCAL" - Your friendly neighborhood Process Server_
      (http://www.ranchoattorneyservice.com/)
      Michele Dawn

      RPS 117 & CA PI 24790
      Rancho Attorney Service of California &
      RASCAL's Research & Location Services
      28465 Old Town Front St #318
      Temecula, CA 92590
      (951) 693-0165
      CALSpro NAPPS CAJP NCISS_www.ranchoattorneyservice.com_
      (http://www.ranchoattorneyservice.com/)
      MC - Visa - American Express
      steps!
      (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1215047751x1200957972/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072%26hmpgID=62%26bcd=De
      cemailfooterNO62)

    • Ricky Gurley
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 7, 2009
        --- In infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com, Jurydoctor@... wrote:

        > In a message dated 1/7/2009 07:50:21 PM Eastern Standard Time, writes:
        >

        > first, if jane was doing such a bad job, or what ever and was to be
        fired on
        > Friday, why is it they let her work Friday night? Busy or not, if
        they didnt
        > want her and she was that bad, then they should have gotten rid of
        her then.
        > Seems to me she wasnt that bad.
        > As far as sexual harassment, has it been reported before?
        > yes and no..
        > Jane claims other servers complained. the other server deny
        complaining. Fufu
        > is the best restaurant in town with the best tips...

        Because the restaurant was busy. I don't know if you have ever worked
        in the food service industry before or not. I have, and I have even
        managed a few restaurants; and I know that there are times when "bad
        help" is better than no help at all.

        So other servers complained. So what? The issue here is did JANE complain?

        > If it had been, I think she should have smacked the guy. The
        manager should
        > have definitely taken the matter into his own hands. She should not
        have had
        > to put up with that. But then, was she flirty? was she a tease?
        >
        > no, actually she was (and I quote) "a bitch"

        Of course this was a poor choice of words.. But... No mater if she was
        a "bitch", or "snappy", or just not "customer friendly" or "customer
        service oriented", really does not make much of a difference. I don't
        think you can sue someone for calling you a name. And if the manager's
        felt like she was not "customer service oriented", and they chose to
        describe that as "she was a bitch", if the managers felt like this
        could drive off their customers I fail to see the significance.

        > There is a lot of information that is missing to make a fair
        decision. Also,
        > has she had other problems in the past with other employees, other
        customers?

        But we do know these facts:

        (1) The managers felt like she was not treating their customers in an
        appropriate manner, conducive to making the customer want to come back
        to their establishment.

        (2) The timing of the law suit.

        (3) She had not ever reported this sexual harassment claim before she
        was to be fired and initiated her law suit.

        (4) She DID lie on her application.

        And I think that is all we really need to know.

        > yes, she had a few no shows at work, once called in that she was too
        > intoxicated to work (after her sister's wedding) and not getting
        along with other
        > emplyees

        Calling in drunk is grounds for termination, right there.

        Think about it. When you work for someone else, there are certainly
        times that you might need time off, but one of those times is NOT
        because you are drunk! You have an obligation to come into work
        without being under the influence of alcohol, and that means also
        considering what you do BEFORE work.

        > Lying on other applications wasn't a good thing, but probably
        wouldnt stand
        > up in court.
        > If she hadn't had problems in the past, and the manager did know
        what was
        > going on and never did anything about it, I think she should be
        awarded 3 mo.
        > salary. No more. That is, as long as she was not flirting or
        teasing. It was
        > just a pat, which is still wrong. But thank God, nothing worst
        happened.

        Why would lying on her application NOT stand up in court, especially
        when she acknowledged this was a reason for dismissal? The clause that
        she signed does not say that the employer HAS to verify her
        information before they hire her, or any specific time after they hire
        her. The employer can verify her background anytime he or she so
        desires to. And certainly, if Jane does something that makes her
        employer decide to check into her a little more, instead of continuing
        to take her application at "face value", then that is her employer's
        option to do so.

        Rick.

        Direct Office Number: (573) 234-6876
        Office Phone: (573) 234-4647 Ext. 110
        Car Phone: (573) 529-0808
        Cell Phone: (573) 529-4476
        Toll Free Phone: (888) 571-0958
        Toll Free Fax: (877) 795-9800
        EMERGENCY LINE: (573) 234-4871

        RMRI, Inc. Websites
        (1) http://www.rmriinc.com

        RMRI, Inc. Blogs
      • Slipinn@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 7, 2009
          Comments and random thoughts:

          What if the manager is lying? Perhaps continuing the case is in order so
          that more current employee's cycle thru turn over (which is rapid in that
          industry). Once current ones have left and no longer fear for their job, more
          information may be available.
          What if she in fact complained to him and he told her to get out and then
          made up an excuse that she was a bitch to customers?
          Why would the manager need to embellish his defense after the fact with his
          "false application" issue? Why shift the focus?
          Can the mgr produce this complaining customer? Charge card records etc?
          Can she produce cell records to show calls to EEOC or lawyers prior to her
          termination day and time?

          Would be interesting to know the first date she contacted a lawyer,before or
          after she was fired?

          Chuck Chambers
          Co-President, Florida Association of Private Investigators (FAPI)
          Charter member- FAPI
          Author- The Private Investigator's Handbook
          Recipient of the 2007 Fapi Outstanding service award
          State approved Instructor Class CC intern course-Manatee Community College

          _WWW.ChambersAgency.com_ (http://www.chambersagency.com/)
          Chambers Investigations
          606 49th st w
          Bradenton Florida 34209
          Lic.# A-0001959
          941-798-3804

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 7, 2009
            --- In infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com, Slipinn@... wrote:

            > Comments and random thoughts:

            Chuck, is Florida a "right to work" state? I have no idea if it is or
            not, but I figured you and probably a few others that have not
            responded to this thread yet would know.

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 7, 2009
              here ya go Rick...:)
              Chuck
              Fla. Const. Article 1, § 6
              § 6. Right to Work
              The right of persons to work shall not be denied or abridged on account of
              membership or non-membership in any labor union or labor organization. The
              right of employees, by and through a labor organization, to bargain collectively
              shall not be denied or abridged. Public employees shall not have the right to
              strike. (Constitution Amended by General Election, 1944; Revised by General
              Election November 5, 1968)
              TITLE 31. LABOR (Chs. 435-452)
              CHAPTER 447. LABOR ORGANIZATIONS

              In a message dated 1/8/2009 12:26:55 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
              rmriinc@... writes:

              --- In _infoguys-list@infoguys-lisinf_ (mailto:infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com)
              , Slipinn@... wrote:

              > Comments and random thoughts:

              Chuck, is Florida a "right to work" state? I have no idea if it is or
              not, but I figured you and probably a few others that have not
              responded to this thread yet would know.

              Rick.

              Direct Office Number: (573) 234-6876
              Office Phone: (573) 234-4647 Ext. 110
              Car Phone: (573) 529-0808