sex offender registry deletions?

  • Steven
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2009
      Dear Colleagues:

      Does anyone know if inclusion in states' sex offender registries is
      "for life" or if offenders' listings expire (or can be deleted)?

      My office has been running a stack of subjects. Three times last week
      we found subjects who were convicted of a sex crime, and were in a
      state's sex offender registry 2-4 years ago (we have the complete
      databases from those years in house), but they are now NOT in the
      state's registry. (We double-checked everything by going to the
      state's website.)

      The 3 subject are absolutely confirmed as having been convicted sex
      offenders, formerly in their state's registry a few years ago - name,
      address, DOB and photos match - but they're no longer listed. They're
      all still shown in crim rec indexes as convicted of the
      crime...they're just gone from their states' offender registries.

      Some enlightenment would be greatly appreciated.

      Thanks,

      Steven.

      (Steven Rambam, Director.)
      (for: Pallorium, Inc.)

      direct email: rambam@..., pallorium@...

      THIS EMAIL ADDRESS IS FOR NEWSGROUP ACTIVITY ONLY.
      PRIVATE MESSAGES SENT TO THIS ADDRESS ARE AUTOMATICALLY DISCARDED BY
      THE MAILSERVER.

      Pallorium, Inc.
      P.O. Box 155 - Midwood Station
      Brooklyn, New York 11230 USA

      Telephone: (001) 212-969-0286
      FAX: (001) 212-858-5720

      ____________

      Electronic Mail: pallorium@...
      (OR) pallorium@...

      ____________

      WEB: http://www.pallorium.com
      ____________

      * Licensed Investigators * Database Services *

      * U.S.A. Affiliates in New York, Texas, Louisiana and California *

      * IIN * WAD * WIN * NAIS * ION * AIIP * NCISS * BOMP * COIN *
      * ASIS * ACFE * IOA * INTELNET * ALDONYS * TALI * SPI *

      ____________

      Join the "INVESTIGATIONS" group at: www.peoplefinder.net/newsgroup.html
      A private, secure and noncompetitive group for investigative
      professionals.

    • Bob Hrodey
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2009
        Steven wrote:
        > Dear Colleagues:
        >
        > Does anyone know if inclusion in states' sex offender registries is
        > "for life" or if offenders' listings expire (or can be deleted)?
        >
        > My office has been running a stack of subjects. Three times last week
        > we found subjects who were convicted of a sex crime, and were in a
        > state's sex offender registry 2-4 years ago (we have the complete
        > databases from those years in house), but they are now NOT in the
        > state's registry. (We double-checked everything by going to the
        > state's website.)
        >
        > The 3 subject are absolutely confirmed as having been convicted sex
        > offenders, formerly in their state's registry a few years ago - name,
        > address, DOB and photos match - but they're no longer listed. They're
        > all still shown in crim rec indexes as convicted of the
        > crime...they're just gone from their states' offender registries.
        >
        > Some enlightenment would be greatly appreciated.
        My understanding is that the SOR is mandated by Federal Law but the
        criteria for inclusion therein is left to the state's. Speaking only
        for Illinois, I know that some violations require lifetime registry
        while others are for a finite period, e.g 10, 15, 20 years, etc.

        Further, since I believe that it's part and parcel of the laws enacted
        that an offender convicted in state "A" must re-register when relocating
        to state "B" you may be seeing them drop off state "A's" registry when
        they leave the state and not reappearing there until they return to
        their "home state" so long as they are in compliance with reporting
        requirements. Remember, the public website is intended to provide
        notice to LOCAL residents of offenders residing in their area. There
        would seem to be no requirement to keep Bill Bad-Ass on the list here in
        Illinois if he's moved out of state and is now living in Washington
        state and has properly registered there, i.e. is not among the missing
        or unregistered.

        Are you looking at an individual state's registry, Steve, or have you
        researched your subject nationally at the DOJ's site which allows for
        multiple state or all state inquiries?

        Hope this is of some help.

        --
        Enjoy,

        /Bob/
        Hrodey & Associates Established 1977
        NAPPS
        Woodstock, IL 60098-0366 NCISS, & P.A.W.L.I.
        Licensed in IL & WI (815) 337-4636 Voice
        337-4638 Fax
        email: inquiry@... or rth@...
        Illinois License 115-000783 Wisconsin 8045-063

      • Lists
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 1, 2009
          Depends on the State.
          Sometimes, the registration if for life, sometimes the registration is for a
          set period, usually concurrent with probation or parole.
          You'll need to check the terms of the conviction by pulling the actual paper
          record at the clerk's office.
          Brian K. Ingram, Owner
          Consulting Investigation Services
          P.O. Box 2097
          Waxahachie, Texas 75168
          Tx. P.I. License: A-08429
          Forensic Data Recovery, Email Tracing,Internet Investigations, Catastrophic
          Event Investigations
          www.cispi.net
          (972) 937-3938
          Serving Texas since 1996
          Member: American College of Forensic Examiners

          _____

          direct email: rambam@pallorium. <mailto:rambam%40pallorium.com> com,
          pallorium@aol. <mailto:pallorium%40aol.com> com

          Electronic Mail: pallorium@aol. <mailto:pallorium%40aol.com> com