New Digital Forensics Tool

  • Ricky Gurley
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 28, 2008
      To the Digital Detectives,

      I am always looking into new tools for the type of work that I do. My
      company and another company that I have some shares in are always
      trying to stay on the "cutting edge" of the digital forensics profession.

      Of course many people know that I am a pretty strong Linux supporter
      (I have as many computers running Linux as I do Windows), and I have
      forensics tools on both platforms. One of the things that I absolutely
      LOVE about Linux is that almost all of the software is Open Source
      (hence FREE or at least VERY inexpensive). It has always impressed me
      that there is as high a quality of forensics tools for Linux that are
      free, as there are for Windows that cost a fair amount of money. I
      have never been a really big fan of Encase, and I have always thought
      that FTK was an even nicer program but designed to be used by the
      "techno-challenged" due to it's ease of use and simple point and click
      interface.

      I have found Linux to offer several "job specific tools" that do the
      job they were meant to do better than anything else I have used, while
      the tools offered for a Windows platform try to bundle several tools
      into one program, and thus sometimes cause stability problems.

      Recently I have been testing a Digital Forensics tool that I have been
      very impressed with. Since running several tests such as how well the
      tool indexes, file analysis tests, image integrity evaluation, time
      line accuracy and speed, search parameters, and simultaneous multiple
      workstation operations; I have been greatly impressed.

      In my opinion, this tool beats any of the other tools designed to do
      what it does. For the brave of heart (it takes some know how to set
      this tool up), PTK is an extremely well put together piece of
      software. And best of all it is FREE!

      PTK: http://ptk.dflabs.com/index.html

      I thought I'd so something different here and post this to this list
      first, and then blog it later on.

      For those that are "Linux Willing", this is an unbeatable tool.

      Rick.

      Direct Office Number: (573) 234-6876
      Office Phone: (573) 234-4647 Ext. 110
      Car Phone: (573) 529-0808