[infoguys-list] Research Software: The Basement Archives

  • Robert Schoolfield
    Message 1 of 1 , May 27 2:36 PM
      A Windows software package patterned after the British MI5 Secret
      Service's "registry" has been developed called The Basement Archives.

      The MI5 Registry stores dossiers, reports, analysis, transcripts, etc.
      Indices cross-reference the information such that a researcher can
      draw conclusions about the subject at hand.

      The Basement Archives' design goal was to create a secure software
      search and retrieval system that will catalog and cross-reference
      related "case" information and aid in the solving of crimes.
      Users will easily create hypertext jump cross-references between
      related records. Users will be able to follow the links through
      the database, or be able to search for configured key-words or by
      full-text. Users, data records and the system will have configurable
      security attributes. Data is stored encrypted. A client-server
      architecture will be used for fast high-volume data retrieval.

      The software is useful for research by journalists, lawyers
      and law enforcement, private investigating agencies, news agencies,
      human resource consultants, programmers, etc. Companies and
      organizations will also find the software useful to place policy and
      procedures on-line, and to create help desks, computer-based
      training (CBT) references and knowledge-bases.

      The software development cycle is finished, and has been in
      alpha testing in a large corporate environment for seven months.
      A beta-test cycle is now being conducted.

      For more information and to freely download the software, please
      visit The Basement Archives Home Page:

      http://members.iex.net/~roberts/ba/

      Robert Schoolfield roberts@... Colorado Springs CO USA
      "When I found the skull in the woods, the first thing I did was call the
      police. But then I got curious about it. I picked it up, and started
      wondering who this person was, and why he had deer horns."
      ----