Re: [infoguys-list] A "Senior Moment"

  • Glad4JC@aol.com
    Message 1 of 29 , Jun 7, 2008
      Gladys Brierley
      ACCURATE INVESTIGATIONS
      PO Box 872
      Newton, MS 39345
      cell 601-480-3181
      bus & fax 601-683-2094
      Newton County Business License #1499
      Duns # 8082376
      _ACCURATE INVESTIGATIONS | PROFESSIONAL PRIVATE INVESTIGATIONS_
      (http://www.accurateinvestigation.com/)

      Member ACI, MPIA, APIA, NAIS
      _MississippiPrivateInvestigators : MISSISSIPPI PRIVATE INVESTIGATORS_
      (http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/MississippiPrivateInvestigators/)
      _ProfessionalInvestigators : PROFESSIONAL INVESTIGATORS_
      (http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/ProfessionalInvestigators/?yguid=8099974)

      Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.

      Message 2 of 29 , Jun 7, 2008
        Rick -

        The fact that he paid for the rest of the groceries indicates to me NO
        PREMEDITATION. He knew full well that the pie might have been noticed by the
        staff. Shoot, I've done the same thing and I'm not quite that old.

        Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.

      • Ricky Gurley
        Message 3 of 29 , Jun 8, 2008

          > Rick -
          >
          > The fact that he paid for the rest of the groceries indicates to me NO
          > PREMEDITATION. He knew full well that the pie might have been
          noticed by the
          > staff. Shoot, I've done the same thing and I'm not quite that old.
          >
          > Sue

          I completely agree.. I also think that the point that you make
          concerning his purchase of the other groceries and the pie being in
          plain site (in the grocery cart) goes towards showing a lack of
          "intent to deprive another person or entity of their property".

          I got some gas at a convenience store up the road from me about 4
          months ago, and I bought a bunch of snacks, drinks, and such. Well, of
          course convenience stores are "high priced" when it comes to
          groceries, and I was in a hurry to get home. Well, the clerk did NOT
          charge me for the gas. I did not think anything of it, it did not even
          register when I gave the clerk my credit card. The next day I was
          doing the books, and I caught the error. So, I called the convenience
          store, and informed the store manager that I owed them approximately
          $40.00. The store manager told me the clerk came up short that much
          and she was going to terminate his employment. I asked her to hold off
          until I got there and paid the bill The store is less than a 1/4 of a
          mile from my house. So, I drove up to the store, and I paid the
          $40.00, and I told the store manager that this was as much my fault as
          it was the clerk's, and that I thought that firing the clerk over this
          was a little harsh. The store manager apparently is not known in the
          store as being the "nicest store manager in the world"; and let me
          know in no uncertain terms that the clerk was going to lose his job.
          So, I went home, called the corporate headquarters and raised holy
          hell about this. The clerk DID keep his job. So, in my view this was
          also my fault for not paying attention and allowing this to happen.
          Thankfully I was able to rectify my mistake and keep a person from
          losing his job. Now, I am 41 years old (then I was 40. LOL.), I have
          no "memory problem excuse" (maybe in another 40 years?).

          Now, at this man's age (79 years old) I think the prudent thing to do
          is "cut him a break"; and just make him go back and pay for the pie.

          But there is another consideration here too..

          EVEN if this man had the intent to STEAL this pie.. Do we really want
          our tax dollars going towards the Police chasing "The Great Cherry Pie
          Bandit"? Do we really want an Officer off of the street and processing
          the "Cherry Pie Bandit" at the local county jail; when he could be
          patrolling for more serious infractions? Do we really want our
          Prosecutor spending thousands of tax payer dollars on prosecuting the
          "Cherry Pie Bandit"? I don't know about Florida, but here in Missouri
          Law Enforcement Officers do have discretion on whether or not to
          charge for incidents like this. If the man's intent WAS to steal the
          pie, then a little "public humiliation" by making him go back and pay
          for the pie and apologize for not paying for it in the first place
          would have sufficed, in my personal opinion.

          I think the Officer that charged this offense is a "dipstick". What he
          did just does not add us to good common and/or business sense to me;
          in my personal opinion..

          Rick.
        • Gary Krisulevicz
          Message 4 of 29 , Jun 8, 2008
            In Texas it would have been a Class C misdemeanor unless he has 2 prior convictions in which case it would be a felony, even for the 5 buck pie. In this story intent seems to be missing which is an integral part of the elements of the crime. The fact that the story mentions he has stolen before and the officer booking him says to me this may be more true than what we are looking at. The class C offense is a ticket-able release, to haul some old guy in for 5 bucks tells me there is a lot missing from the story. Trust me when I say this - being a retired Texas LEO - if you can get an arrest on the book without all the paperwork and procedures it takes to physically arrest him and transport - they would have given a ticket in a minute. Both count the same on the daily.

            Crooks come in all shapes and sizes and ages....Just my 2 cents worth.

            -Gary
            www.bartletagency.com

            Message 5 of 29 , Jun 8, 2008
              In a message dated 6/8/2008 7:58:13 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
              rmriinc@... writes:

              Do we really want an Officer off of the street and processing
              the "Cherry Pie Bandit" at the local county jail; when he could be
              patrolling for more serious infractions? Do we really want our
              Prosecutor spending thousands of tax payer dollars on prosecuting the
              "Cherry Pie Bandit"?

              Rick - The answer to that question is an unequivocal YES !!!! The shelves
              and freezers would be wiped bare from every store in this nation if every
              Tom, Dick and Harry knew they wouldn't be prosecuted due to the cost involved.
              With that in mind, you and I would then have to pay $50/pie to make up for
              the losses.

              Of course a true criminal should be prosecuted regardless of how petty.
              However, the key words are TRUE CRIMINAL.

              ________________________

              818-246-3001 FAX

              "one Nation under God"

              a military veteran

              Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.

              Message 6 of 29 , Jun 8, 2008
                In a message dated 6/8/2008 8:22:30 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                bartletagency@... writes:

                The fact that the story mentions he has stolen before and the officer
                booking him says to me this may be more true than what we are looking at.

                Gary -

                Since we don't know the circumstances of the previous petty, we cannot truly
                presume anything. However, I likened it to just another overzealous LEO not
                giving any consideration for Allzheimer's or even Halfzheimer's !!!
                (emphasis added, misspelling intentional)

                ________________________

                818-246-3001 FAX

                "one Nation under God"

                a military veteran

                Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.

              • Ricky Gurley
                Message 7 of 29 , Jun 8, 2008

                  > In a message dated 6/8/2008 7:58:13 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                  > rmriinc@... writes:
                  >
                  > Do we really want an Officer off of the street and processing
                  > the "Cherry Pie Bandit" at the local county jail; when he could be
                  > patrolling for more serious infractions? Do we really want our
                  > Prosecutor spending thousands of tax payer dollars on prosecuting the
                  > "Cherry Pie Bandit"?
                  >

                  > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  >
                  > Rick - The answer to that question is an unequivocal YES !!!! The
                  shelves
                  > and freezers would be wiped bare from every store in this nation if
                  every
                  > Tom, Dick and Harry knew they wouldn't be prosecuted due to the cost
                  involved.

                  Well, I think it is fair to put this into context, if we are going to
                  multiply the effect of the "cherry pie thefts" and assume a certain
                  result from such multiplication practices..

                  Our economy would be far worse than it is now if every "Cherry Pie
                  Bandit" and the like were to be prosecuted at thousands of dollars per
                  case for a $5.00 pie theft, our taxes would skyrocket just to pay the
                  Prosecutor's Office..

                  And while you are getting robbed at gunpoint, the Police Officer that
                  could be saving you from this, will be at the local jail processing
                  the "Cherry Pie Bandits" by the dozen..

                  And the murder, rape and robbery cases, would not get as much time in
                  court as the "cherry pie thefts"...

                  I spoke with a friend of mine that is a deputy sheriff here in Boone
                  County, and she has been with the Sheriff's Dept. for about 12 years
                  now. The first thing she said about this situation is that the Officer
                  was not very bright, and he is probably getting quite a bit of "flack"
                  from his fellow officers for this.. The second thing that she said was
                  that even in Boone County where the crime rate is really not that bad,
                  it is still a foolish waste of resources to charge someone for this.
                  And the third thing she said is that here in Missouri it is not
                  necessary to charge in these cases, LEOs have the discretion to make
                  the person go back and pay for the merchandise; whatever it may be.
                  And LEOs are expected to wisely use that discretion being that
                  fingerprinting someone for this alone costs more than the value of the
                  pie.. Who does the cost get passed off to when there are not enough
                  resources to handle the serious criminal infractions?

                  So, I think that the wise use of discretion is called for in this
                  scenario...

                  Rick.

                  RMRI, Inc.
                  http://rmriinc.bestcyberinvestigator.com
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jun 8, 2008
                    Rick -

                    sorry but I strongly disagree and so do the courts, most LEO's and the
                    legislature
                    of all states. Now, let's set aside the fact that in THIS case with the
                    cherry pie
                    bandit, only a fool would pursue this particular matter.

                    For starters, in most states Petty Theft is not an infraction but rather a
                    misdemeanor.
                    In some states, enough of the misdemeanors convictions such as 3 or 4 will
                    amount
                    to a felony. It's commonly referred to as a "petty with a prior". I cannot
                    speak about
                    the sentencing laws of Missouri but I sure as heck can about CA.
                    Sentencing can
                    be financially stiff and then the monies are divided by a pre-set formula
                    between the
                    prosecutors, the LEO's, the judiciary, etc.

                    Take a look around at the nation about you. Then think about your very
                    liberal attitude
                    and that of the deputy sheriff you spoke with. You wonder why crime has
                    gone amok?
                    I don't; it's quite obvious.

                    ________________________

                    818-246-3001 FAX

                    "one Nation under God"

                    a military veteran

                    Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.

                  • akamscluso@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jun 8, 2008
                      HI

                      My favorite senior moment (and Im not yet quite a senior).I couldn't find my
                      cell phone, so I called the number to see if I could hear where I might have
                      placed it. Turns out it was in my car which Robert had taken to go get gas.
                      Seeing on the caller ID it was me he picks up the phone and says Hello. Here's
                      the senior moment part. I say to him, I can't find my cell, so if you see
                      it anywhere in the car, let me know. He laughs and says sure will, honey. It
                      wasn't til after I got t off the phone did I realize what a stupid thing I just
                      did. Bless Robert's heaart, he just smiled a Sh*&^T eating grin, when he
                      handed me my phone and said...The phone was in the car, dear. And nothing else
                      was ever said about it.

                      Sherry Howard
                      Howard & Assoc
                      pi#19910

                      Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.

                    • Ricky Gurley
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jun 8, 2008

                        > Take a look around at the nation about you. Then think about your
                        very
                        > liberal attitude
                        > and that of the deputy sheriff you spoke with. You wonder why crime
                        has
                        > gone amok?
                        > I don't; it's quite obvious.

                        We are probably hopelessly divided here... Here is one opinion from
                        the board that this post came from:

                        Law enforcement used to use their resources a little more wisely.
                        There weren't near as many prosecutions for dumb ###### back then. You
                        got in trouble and the sheriff would generally visit your parents and
                        scare you into not doing that ######, whatever it was, again. Case closed.

                        I think that prosecuting the cherry pie thief is just another sign of
                        the times of a punitive, law and order society, that has gotten out of
                        hand.
                        http://board.columbiatribune.com/index.php?showtopic=6359&pid=70350&st=0&#entry70350

                        And that board has about an equal amount of opinions on both sides.. I
                        think it is a fair representation of how society is divided about
                        issues like this one.

                        I suppose on some things I have a liberal attitude and on others I
                        have a conservative attitude.. But.. Those are political terms, and
                        I'd at least like to believe that I am not a "political person".. I'd
                        prefer to say that on some things I think common sense should be
                        exercised and other things require a certain harshness..

                        Here, in Missouri he'd get a fine of approximately $200.00, and he'd
                        have to pay $72.00 in court costs and he'd have to pay double the cost
                        for the pie; a grand total of $282.00; assuming this would be charged
                        as an infraction (which in this case or any case like it, it would;
                        due to the difficulty in proving intent). That would not even pay for
                        two hours of a decent attorney's time, or mine for that matter..
                        Summing up the average yearly income for a Prosecutor and pulling that
                        down to an hourly figure, that is less than 20 hours of a Prosecutor's
                        time. A Prosecutor will spend about 20 hours, maybe a little less on
                        this case.. What about the filing fees? What about the processing
                        expense? What about the housing expense at the jail; if even for 10
                        hours? Now, since we are multiplying, multiply that cost by 10,000,
                        which is a tiny figure when we consider some over-populated places
                        like Los Angeles, or New York City..

                        Missouri Revised Statutes
                        Chapter 560
                        Fines
                        Section 560.016

                        Fines for misdemeanors and infractions.

                        560.016. 1. Except as otherwise provided for an offense outside this
                        code, a person who has been convicted of a misdemeanor or infraction
                        may be sentenced to pay a fine which does not exceed:

                        (1) For a class A misdemeanor, one thousand dollars;

                        (2) For a class B misdemeanor, five hundred dollars;

                        (3) For a class C misdemeanor, three hundred dollars;

                        (4) For an infraction, two hundred dollars.

                        2. In lieu of a fine imposed under subsection 1, a person who has been
                        convicted of a misdemeanor or infraction through which he derived
                        "gain" as defined in section 560.011, may be sentenced to a fine which
                        does not exceed double the amount of gain from the commission of the
                        offense. An individual offender may be fined not more than twenty
                        thousand dollars under this provision.

                        To me, because I can do basic math, it just seems like it is common
                        sense that these cases are "losing propositions" for EVERYONE...

                        Rick.

                        RMRI, Inc.
                        http://rmriinc.bestcyberinvestigator.com
                      • David O'Niell
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jun 8, 2008
                          I think it's fairly common that when someone begins to suffer from dementia they do
                          things like this--

                          --- In infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com, "Ricky Gurley" <rmriinc@...> wrote:

                          > Here is a post that came up on a board that I participate on, and I
                          > thought it was pretty interesting:
                          >

                          > When senior citizens break the law with minor infractions, should they
                          > be held accountable and punished like the rest of us or should they be
                          > treated differently?
                          >
                          > I'm posting this because I came across a story where a 79 year old man
                          > was accused of stealing and thrown in jail. The reader comments caught
                          > my attention because the story sparked a controversy about how senior
                          > citizens should be treated in similar situations.
                          >
                          > Some people demanded that the elderly man should have been released
                          > and not harassed. Others claim that he was using his age as an excuse
                          > to shoplift.
                          >
                          > What do you all think? Honest mistake or perfect alibi?
                          >

                          > QUOTE
                          -
                          > LAKE WORTH - An elderly Palm Beach County man says he forgot to pay
                          > for the pie that sent him to jail for 10 hours.
                          >
                          > Authorities say 79-year-old George Schwartz didn't pay for a $5.29
                          > apple pie at a Publix near Lake Worth in April. He was taken to jail
                          > and charged with retail theft, a misdemeanor punishable by 60 days in
                          > jail.
                          >
                          > His lawyer said Thursday that the cashier who bagged the groceries
                          > that day also didn't notice the pie left in the basket. Schwartz paid
                          > for the rest of his groceries.
                          >
                          > His attorney adds that they are trying to get the case dropped.
                          > Otherwise, they could go to trial in June.
                          >
                          > Managers at that Publix say in a police report that he has shoplifted
                          > before. But Schwartz says he has short-term memory problems and calls
                          > the latest incident a misunderstanding.
                          >
                          > Full Story:
                          > http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sfl-530pie,0,2371195.story
                          >
                          > Story COMMENTS here:
                          > http://www.topix.net/forum/source/south-fl...EASAK4QEEUVLLJU
                          >

                          > Any thoughts?
                          >

                          > Rick.

                        • Tom Eskridge
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jun 8, 2008
                            It is also possible that the victim demanded and made a citizens arrest.
                            Then with priors, the cop had a felon and had no real choice. With all the
                            facts not in evidence, there is a lot of assuming going on!

                            For those not educated in the area, at least in California, it is a criminal
                            offense for a cop to refuse a citizens arrest, assuming there is any degree
                            of reasonableness to the arrest.

                            This is without even opening the argument that cops should be able to decide
                            which criminal offenses are worth their effort. This is fine..until YOU'RE
                            the victim..

                            Tom Eskridge

                            Chief Operations Officer

                            High Tech Crime Institute

                            13400 Wright Cir

                            Tampa FL 33626

                            866-279-6295/813-854-2223

                            Retired Redondo Beach CA PD Lieutenant

                            Service Disabled Veteran Owned Business

                            _____

                            rmriinc@grouply. <mailto:rmriinc%40grouply.com> com writes:

                            Do we really want an Officer off of the street and processing
                            the "Cherry Pie Bandit" at the local county jail; when he could be
                            patrolling for more serious infractions? Do we really want our
                            Prosecutor spending thousands of tax payer dollars on prosecuting the
                            "Cherry Pie Bandit"?

                            Rick - The answer to that question is an unequivocal YES !!!! The shelves
                            and freezers would be wiped bare from every store in this nation if every
                            Tom, Dick and Harry knew they wouldn't be prosecuted due to the cost
                            involved.
                            With that in mind, you and I would then have to pay $50/pie to make up for
                            the losses.

                            Of course a true criminal should be prosecuted regardless of how petty.
                            However, the key words are TRUE CRIMINAL.

                            ________________________

                            _www.sarkispi.com_ (http://www.sarkispi <http://www.sarkispi.com/> .com/)

                            818-246-3001 FAX

                            "one Nation under God"

                            a military veteran

                            Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.
                            (http://food.
                            <http://food.aol.com/tyler-florence?video=4?&NCID=aolfod00030000000002>
                            aol.com/tyler-florence?video=4?&NCID=aolfod00030000000002)

                            Message 13 of 29 , Jun 8, 2008
                              Rick -

                              For starters, what caused the arrest? Was it the store owner or manager?
                              If so, the police had no choice. However, even they (store owner/manager)
                              should be using common sense.

                              The opinion from the board it posted from is ridiculous, to say the least,
                              and not only not in touch with the case at hand but not in touch with the
                              times.

                              For starters, I doubt that this 79 year old man had parents to be taken to
                              by the LEO's. That is how juveniles are usually handled, even today.
                              However, since corporal punishment by parents is a felony in many states, even that
                              doesn't work like it used to. Spare the rod; spoil the child !!!

                              As I said before, in THIS case the prosecution seems a little ridiculous
                              even with a prior because they will have a very hard time trying to prove intent
                              which I believe we agree on.

                              However, the opinion presented about the prosecutions having gotten out of
                              hand is true. However, the fault does not lie with the LEO's or the
                              prosecutors but rather with the leftist, give me something for nothing general public
                              who would sue the shit out of the LEOs/prosecutors for failing to enforce the
                              law should he then have thrown the pie in someone's face or some other absurd
                              modern day tortious act.

                              It is absolutely insane that a law has to be put on the books in all 50
                              states protecting homeowners from civil litigation from a residential burglar
                              getting injured while fleeing the home because he's being chased by a watch dog.
                              However, juries have awarded large judgments for such thieves and that is
                              all because of the leftist mentality. No two ways about it. Call it
                              political if you care to; I call it asinine.

                              By the way, perhaps Missouri might increase their criminal penalties to come
                              into touch with the times. Prosecuting for what might appear to be trivial
                              violations of the law are done for recidivism and deterrence purposes.
                              Lawbreakers are lawbreakers. However, I don't think the cherry pie man is.

                              ________________________

                              818-246-3001 FAX

                              "one Nation under God"

                              a military veteran

                              Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.

                            • Ricky Gurley
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jun 8, 2008

                                > Rick -
                                Prosecuting for what might appear to be trivial
                                > violations of the law are done for recidivism and deterrence
                                purposes.
                                > Lawbreakers are lawbreakers. However, I don't think the cherry pie
                                man is.

                                Now see, here is where you are the "liberal" and I am the
                                "conservative"... I see nothing wrong with a "good old fashioned
                                Singaporian caning" for the TRUE thief that has no regard for someone
                                else's property.. Wanna decrease recidivism and deter such behavior?
                                Take the offender to the court house, draw a crowd and take some skin
                                off of his ass! Had this happened to me, I am sure that I would not
                                have gotten in as much trouble as I did when I was a younger man.. Now
                                I am not saying this is applicable in the situation we are discussing
                                here, but for the purpose of deterring crime, it IS applicable.

                                And, while I am at it.. The castle doctrine is a VERY fine thing.. It
                                should be even more liberal than what it is.. This would make the "bad
                                guys" think a little more about invading someone's home..

                                I have no problem with a strict enforcement code, as long as it is
                                being enforced against the guilty, and not the "maybe guilty".

                                And Thomas Eskridge. just as sure as it would be fine until I am the
                                victim remember this; there is absolutely NOTHING bad at all about a
                                Police State, if you are the Police......

                                Message 15 of 29 , Jun 8, 2008
                                  I have no problem with a strict enforcement code, as long as it is
                                  being enforced against the guilty, and not the "maybe guilty".

                                  Rick, I see you drank the Kool Aid..As OJ Simpson is "not guilty" of the
                                  crime of double homicide, he obviously should have never been arrested. So
                                  if "only the guilty" are arrested, there is really no good reason to have a
                                  prosecution. Street justice.I love the idea...

                                  http://rmriinc. <http://rmriinc.bestcyberinvestigator.com>

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jun 8, 2008
                                    --- In infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Eskridge" <TOM@...> wrote:

                                    > Rick, I see you drank the Kool Aid..As OJ Simpson is "not guilty" of the
                                    > crime of double homicide, he obviously should have never been
                                    arrested. So
                                    > if "only the guilty" are arrested, there is really no good reason to
                                    have a
                                    > prosecution. Street justice.I love the idea...

                                    From the looks of your post you should get some Kool Aid Tom; so
                                    you'll have a way to swallow your meds...

                                    An arrest and/or the incarceration of a person is not a punishment,
                                    that is why a person is free to make bail in most cases before the
                                    trial.... Because they are innocent until proven guilty... My point
                                    here is that I have no problem with a strict enforcement of the law,
                                    as long as the person it is being applied to has been granted due
                                    process, has been to court, and is proven guilty and convicted...

                                    And OJ Simpson is NOT guilty of the crime of double homicide according
                                    to the Judicial Standards that YOU swore to uphold when you were a
                                    Police Officer; Tom! He was never PROVEN guilty of the crime in a
                                    court of law... Let me ask you something Tom, why is it when there is
                                    a possibility that an innocent man went to prison for a murder he did
                                    not commit, the common saying is that "The Jury did their job and this
                                    was their verdict, and that is good enough for me", but when someone
                                    you perceive as guilty is acquitted you are not so willing to use the
                                    same line of thought?

                                    Rick.

                                    RMRI, Inc.
                                    http://rmriinc.bestcyberinvestigator.com
                                  • Salvatore F. Alioto
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jun 8, 2008
                                      In New York, in a shoplifting situation if the store manager insists on
                                      it the police officer is obligated to make an arrest, however, once
                                      arrested there are processing option which would have had the elderly
                                      gentleman released in a little over an hour. He would be fingerprinted,
                                      photographed and issued a summons to appear in court on a specified date
                                      to answer the charges before a judge. I don't know why it took 10 hours
                                      to process this man. Things must be very different in Florida law
                                      enforcement.

                                      Sal

                                      ************ Discreetly Addressing Your Private Needs ************

                                      Salvatore F. Alioto

                                      Owner/Operator Able Shamus Investigations

                                      Retired Sergeant NY City Police Department

                                      Licensed by the NY State Department of State

                                      Private Investigation License # 11000101082

                                      Armed Security License # 10010514064

                                      Notary Public Commission # 01AL6083412

                                      Proudly Serving the NY State Hudson Valley / NY City Metro / Long Island
                                      Regions

                                      Phone # (845) 656-4027

                                      Fax # (845) 226-3629

                                      Website - http://sfapi.tripod.com/ <http://sfapi.tripod.com/>

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jun 8, 2008
                                        In a message dated 6/8/2008 7:26:25 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                                        sfapi59@... writes:

                                        I don't know why it took 10 hours
                                        to process this man. Things must be very different in Florida law
                                        enforcement.

                                        Sal -

                                        I agree with your sentiment. However, depending upon where someone is
                                        booked here in Los Angeles County, it could take anywhere from an hour to 48
                                        hours. Los Angeles County jail is the largest jail in the world and trust me when
                                        I say, those civil service employees do as little as they can for as long as
                                        they can.

                                        With the inmate population being static through the years, I used to be able
                                        to get an inmate released within 2 hours on bond at CJ. Now with all their
                                        fancy, expensive computers and such it is a minimum of 10 hours and that is
                                        only if you are very, very lucky.

                                        ________________________

                                        818-246-3001 FAX

                                        "one Nation under God"

                                        a military veteran

                                        Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.

                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jun 8, 2008
                                          In a message dated 6/8/2008 4:14:45 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                                          rmriinc@... writes:

                                          Now see, here is where you are the "liberal" and I am the
                                          "conservative""conservative"<WBR>... I see nothing wrong with a "goo
                                          Singaporian caning" for the TRUE thief that has no regard for someone
                                          else's property.. Wanna decrease recidivism and deter such behavior?
                                          Take the offender to the court house, draw a crowd and take some skin
                                          off of his ass!

                                          Rick -

                                          Here you go again. How can you possibly construe from anything you have
                                          EVER heard me say that could remotely make you think that I am a LIBERAL or
                                          that I would be against caning. When Bill Clinton asked for leniency for
                                          MISSOURI born and raised Michael Fay[e], I personally sent a Telex to Ong Teng
                                          Cheong (????) begging that he ignore the leniency request from Mr. Liberal
                                          himself. I've been to Singapore a couple of times and you can eat off their
                                          sidewalks they are so clean.

                                          Shoot, you get caned in Singapore for chewing gum which is outlawed. If you
                                          ever travel there, don't even think of having any in your pocket.

                                          The next time you refer to me with that ugly "L" word you'll get a lot more
                                          than a caning.

                                          Sincerely,

                                          Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.

                                        • Tom Eskridge
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Jun 9, 2008
                                            Rick

                                            What in my post makes you think I have a problem with OJ? Its' not like he's
                                            out killing 7-11 clerks.

                                            I was simply pointing out a high profile case, where a man sat in county
                                            jail for 2 years, was found not guilty and was released from jail. Under
                                            your prior post this proved that he should not have even been arrested as he
                                            was "probably guilty" and not in fact guilty. Or in this case he was deemed
                                            not guilty.

                                            I was just pointing out how foolish your post was. How is the first
                                            responder cop to know if his/her witnesses have a grudge? Witnesses lie,
                                            exaggerate and make honest mistakes. How many people have you interviewed
                                            who claimed they saw an accident, and you determined that what they saw was
                                            the aftermath of the accident when they turned at the sound of the collision
                                            and saw cars spinning about. But in their minds they saw the "accident".

                                            And again in this post, you demand that the person has to be found "guilty"
                                            in order to justify "strict enforcement of the law".How the heck do you do
                                            this. And as no one can guarantee a conviction at the point of arrest, then
                                            I guess no one should ever be arrested.

                                            Tom Eskridge

                                            Chief Operations Officer

                                            High Tech Crime Institute

                                            13400 Wright Cir

                                            Tampa FL 33626

                                            866-279-6295/813-854-2223

                                            Retired Redondo Beach CA PD Lieutenant

                                            Service Disabled Veteran Owned Business

                                            _____

                                            > Rick, I see you drank the Kool Aid..As OJ Simpson is "not guilty" of the
                                            > crime of double homicide, he obviously should have never been
                                            arrested. So
                                            > if "only the guilty" are arrested, there is really no good reason to
                                            have a
                                            > prosecution. Street justice.I love the idea...

                                            From the looks of your post you should get some Kool Aid Tom; so

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Jun 9, 2008
                                                --- In infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com, Glad4JC@... wrote:

                                                > OK Sue & Rick, get back into your corners and get some pep talk
                                                from the
                                                > trainer....remember to use the cut guy, and for goodness sake don't
                                                forget the
                                                > vaseline....

                                                Gladys, you are too late.. I think Sue and I have dispensed with the
                                                debate and found common ground... We both seem to agree on harsher
                                                punishment for offenders..

                                                Message 23 of 29 , Jun 9, 2008
                                                  --- In infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Eskridge" <TOM@...> wrote:

                                                  > And again in this post, you demand that the person has to be found
                                                  "guilty"
                                                  > in order to justify "strict enforcement of the law".How the heck do
                                                  you do
                                                  > this. And as no one can guarantee a conviction at the point of
                                                  arrest, then
                                                  > I guess no one should ever be arrested.

                                                  You're "playing games"... The fact is, that arrest and and detainment
                                                  until a person can go to trial and defend their self against charges
                                                  is not a punishment... At least that is the Judicial System's view...
                                                  The fact is that in most cases (barring capitol cases), a person has
                                                  an opportunity to make bail and get out of jail, if they are
                                                  incarcerated before they go to trial. So, yes I agree with a strict
                                                  code of enforcement after a trial has been had and the person is found
                                                  to be guilty in a court of law. What is so hard to understand about
                                                  that, Tom?

                                                  Do you not understand the phrase "innocent until proven guilty"? Is
                                                  this a new concept for you? Law Enforcement has to do it's job. They
                                                  have to patrol for and investigate crime. In doing so, if they find
                                                  there is evidence that a crime has been committed they are obligated
                                                  to take action. I see nothing wrong with giving Law Enforcement some
                                                  discretion on minor crimes, like criminal infractions. However, there
                                                  is CERTAINLY a need to give arrest power to Law Enforcement, and
                                                  certainly a need to insure the appearance of the defendant once he has
                                                  been arrested and charged. Again, this is not punishment. Is it
                                                  inconvenient for the person that is not guilty (after he goes to court
                                                  and proves it, Tom)? YES! Is being arrested and jailed pleasant? NO!
                                                  But these are part of a necessary process in order to hold criminals
                                                  accountable for the crimes they commit. Still, after all of that, it
                                                  is NOT punishment, at that point in time before trial no Judgment has
                                                  been passed, and the defendant, in most cases is given an opportunity
                                                  to free himself and return to his everyday life until he can go to trial.

                                                  Ideally, the THIEF would be arrested for theft, booked, and then
                                                  incarcerated until he could make bail. This is not a punishment
                                                  (AGAIN, Tom). And then he would go to trial, and if he is found not
                                                  guilty, then he would go home, and if he is found guilty, then he
                                                  would be taken to the courthouse steps with a crowd in tow, tied to a
                                                  post, have his pants pulled down, have his ass bared to the crowd, and
                                                  have someone take some skin off of his ass, given the proper medical
                                                  treatment if it is needed, and allowed to recuperate in the county
                                                  jail, and then sent home (Ohh, and by the way Tom, NOW that's
                                                  punishment). In the case of heinous crimes (murder, rape, child
                                                  molestation), keep the pants up and use bullets LIBERALLY! That is
                                                  what I personally believe would be an effective deterrent to some of
                                                  the STUPID crimes we are seeing these days.

                                                  And Sue, my sincerest apologies.. I had heard that the word "Liberal"
                                                  was a bad word and many people have great disdain towards being
                                                  referred to as that, but I never knew it was that bad.. I promise to
                                                  never call you the "L" word again. ;o)

                                                  I think you are either trying to play semantic games, or you have lost
                                                  your perspective on the sequence of events that occur from arrest to
                                                  conviction or exoneration (whichever is the case) in a criminal case; Tom.

                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Jun 9, 2008
                                                    All I can say is thank god for the ability for multiple message deletes on this thing. Wow.....
                                                    -Gary
                                                    www.bartletagency.com

                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Jun 9, 2008
                                                      Dearest Rick

                                                      Perhaps I am playing with semantics..or perhaps your confused between the
                                                      "strict enforcement of the law" and punishment. You seem to be melding them
                                                      together. The cops are charged with the "enforcement of the law". Whether
                                                      that enforcement is "strict", "liberal", "petty", or whatever else is in the
                                                      eye of the beholder.

                                                      The prosecutor is charged with prosecuting those cases in a manner that is
                                                      acceptable to the community and the court is charged with applying laws and
                                                      then punishment where appropriate. ( I took this directly from the opening
                                                      of Law and Order)

                                                      For some reason (and I'm not saying it's a bad reason) you seem to think
                                                      that the "strict enforcement of the law" only applies post a proper
                                                      conviction.

                                                      I do not need an ethics lesson from you. In fact I agree with most if not
                                                      all of your statements. As you sometimes do, you have spun off from your
                                                      initial post, where I pointed out the weaknesses in your belief that only
                                                      the truly guilty should face "strict enforcement of the law". As the cops
                                                      enforce the law, again I ask, how is this accomplished?

                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Jun 9, 2008
                                                        --- In infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Eskridge" <TOM@...> wrote:

                                                        > I do not need an ethics lesson from you. In fact I agree with most
                                                        if not
                                                        > all of your statements. As you sometimes do, you have spun off from your
                                                        > initial post, where I pointed out the weaknesses in your belief that
                                                        only
                                                        > the truly guilty should face "strict enforcement of the law". As the
                                                        cops
                                                        > enforce the law, again I ask, how is this accomplished?

                                                        I realize what you are asking now.. And a good point, I suppose, since
                                                        one of the accepted definition for "enforcing the law" is what is done
                                                        by Police Officers prior to a trial.. However, let me ask you a
                                                        question. If a state statute prescribes a certain punishment or a
                                                        range of punishment for an offended that is found guilty, and a Judge
                                                        follows that "prescription for punishment" in sentencing, is the Judge
                                                        not also "enforcing the law"?

                                                        And Gary, you get kudos.. It appears you are smart enough to delete
                                                        posts you don't agree with, rather than complain about them on the
                                                        group, and how much they are taking up your precious time. Good for
                                                        you, Gary. Keep deleting those posts you don't agree with.

                                                      • bella_mafia@yahoo.com
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Jun 9, 2008
                                                          I think in this case it was a legitimate ''senior moment''. Unless you are a senior, and have experienced the  onset of ''senior moments'', I think it would be difficult to imagine what it would be like, to suddenly reach for a common word within your usual vocabulary, and it not "be there''. Or, to have your thoughts suddenly ''go adrift'' when you are on your way to the checkout counter in a store, and suddenly find yourself outside the store! Once I was on my way to the checkout counter in a store, and saw a clerk on my way, and stopped to inquire about an item they might have in stock. By the time I had finished talking to the clerk, I walked straight out the door of the store, totally forgetting to stop at checkout. I realized my mistake immediately out the front door, and reentered the store and explained to the cashier that I had forgotten to pay for the item, and payed. She just looked real doubtful and sour, but did not reply. I was
                                                          mortified. Senior moments occur frequently, when we are in our own homes as well. We forget what task we were doing before being interupted, for example, and go on and begin doing something else. Senior moments are embarrassing, a pain in the neck, and sometimes downright scary! ....The guy who posted that perhaps it was only a ''convenient excuse'', for a 79 year old man, will probably have his day of senior moments just like the rest of us. ''Judge not, lest ye be judged''.

                                                          Linda Smith

                                                          Bella Mafia

                                                        • fjgrande@sbcglobal.net
                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Jun 9, 2008
                                                            I am in total awe.

                                                            Frank M. Grande CheckMate Investigations LLC
                                                            P.O. Box 825
                                                            Bethel, CT 06801
                                                            Office: 203.743.6455
                                                            Fax:  203.778.2415
                                                            Toll: 877.743.6455
                                                            Email info@...
                                                            Web: www.checkmate-investigations.net
                                                            CT Lic. #A-2192,
                                                            NCISS, NAIS, CALPI
                                                            When there are no more moves, CHECKMATE!
                                                            WE ARE YOUR LAST
                                                            MOVE!