Thanks to PC Guru Rick Gurley

  • ColumbiaSleuth@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 8, 2008
      Please pardon any cross postings. As those of you who know me will attest, I
      rarely, if ever, cross post. Please forgive any intrusion.

      I wanted to publicly thank Rick Gurley of RMRI Inc for his help and
      expertise.

      Recently, while removing and installing a new anti virus program on my PC, I
      had the audacity to continue surfing the internet. During this unprotected
      time, I managed to have seven virii attack my computer and backup system,
      rendering it an enormous and expensive paperweight.

      I was speaking with Rick on the phone about it, planning to take it in to
      one of the local PC shops in town to have them take a peek. Rick, whose
      specialty is computer forensics, told me to bring it by and he'd take care of it for
      me.

      Next morning, freaking out, I delivered my PC to Rick. He copied the drive,
      removed the virii from the original hard drive, copied the hard drive, cleaned
      the case and internal components, tweaked it, re-wrote the damaged boot
      sector, re-installed some damaged software, made sure everything was up and
      running, and gave it back to me. He continues to call and check to make sure
      everything is running without incident, advised a better anti virus software
      (ClamWin), and all of this with a minimal price tag for his extended efforts.

      Consider this: Our confidential case files, credit card processing software
      and client financial information, among other vital and important items were
      on this computer. Taking this tower into the local PC store would have
      potentially set us up for confidentiality issues, chain of custody issues for
      digital evidence, identity theft issues for ourselves and our clients, etc.

      Knowing that I could take this tower to another PI to have the work done and
      done right was vital. Knowing that the data would be saved and not wiped out
      just to save time was key. And the price tag? Extremely reasonable,
      considering the hours I know it took him to get the PC back in working order...better
      than we had before the viral infections.

      So, a big fat public thanks to Rick Gurley. I know this sounds like a huge
      plug...and, well, I guess it is that, too.

      Thanks to Rick for saving our butts.

      Take care,
      Melinda

      Melinda Kidder, LPI