RE: [infoguys-list] Real Time GPS Tracking

  • Thomas Eskridge
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 6, 2008
      Good, that sounds like a case of a third party placing a device on someone’s
      car without the permission of the owner or occupant.

      That is different than your original post.

      I could well understand how if someone put a GPS on someone’s car without
      permission of the owner of THAT car or the occupant of that vehicle it would
      be illegal, immoral and generally not very smart.

      Tom Eskridge
      Chief Operations Officer
      High Tech Crime Institute Inc
      Excellence Through Integrity and Commitment
      Service Disabled Veteran Owned Business (SDVOB)
      Retired Redondo Beach CA PD Lieutenant
      Direct Office Number 813-854-2223
      Toll Free 866-279-6295 or 877-2GOHTCI
      Fax 866-864-7559
      13400 Wright Cir
      Tampa, Florida 33626

      www.gohtci.com
      www.forensicstore.com

      _____

      From: infoguys-list@ <mailto:infoguys-list%40yahoogroups.com>
      yahoogroups.com [mailto:infoguys-list@
      From: infoguys-list@ <mailto:infoguys-list%40yahoogroups.com>
      yahoogroups.com [mailto:infoguys-list@
      From: infoguys-list@ <mailto:infoguys-list%40yahoogroups.com>
      yahoogroups.com [mailto:infoguys-list@
      First and foremost, if you do anything based on my opinion, your nuts. With
      that said, and this is more a statement of how the courts and legislature
      are having trouble keeping up with technology. Here is the cut and past of
      Texas law.

      § 16.06. UNLAWFUL INSTALLATION OF TRACKING
      <http://tlo2.
      <http://tlo2.
      <http://tlo2.
      <http://tlo2.
      <http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/cqcgi?CQ_SESSION_KEY=ASAMDFLHYJEZ&CQ_QU
      > tlc.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/cqcgi?CQ_SESSION_KEY=ASAMDFLHYJEZ&CQ_QU
      > tlc.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/cqcgi?CQ_SESSION_KEY=ASAMDFLHYJEZ&CQ_QU
      > tlc.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/cqcgi?CQ_SESSION_KEY=ASAMDFLHYJEZ&CQ_QU
      > tlc.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/cqcgi?CQ_SESSION_KEY=ASAMDFLHYJEZ&CQ_QU
      ERY_HANDLE=125793&CQ_CUR_DOCUMENT=43&CQ_TLO_DOC_TEXT=YES#HIT0002> [0]
      <http://tlo2.
      <http://tlo2.
      <http://tlo2.
      <http://tlo2.
      <http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/cqcgi?CQ_SESSION_KEY=ASAMDFLHYJEZ&CQ_QU
      > tlc.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/cqcgi?CQ_SESSION_KEY=ASAMDFLHYJEZ&CQ_QU
      > tlc.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/cqcgi?CQ_SESSION_KEY=ASAMDFLHYJEZ&CQ_QU
      > tlc.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/cqcgi?CQ_SESSION_KEY=ASAMDFLHYJEZ&CQ_QU
      > tlc.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/cqcgi?CQ_SESSION_KEY=ASAMDFLHYJEZ&CQ_QU
      ERY_HANDLE=125793&CQ_CUR_DOCUMENT=43&CQ_TLO_DOC_TEXT=YES#HIT0000> DEVICE.
      (a) In this section:
      (1) "Electronic or mechanical tracking
      <http://tlo2.
      <http://tlo2.
      <http://tlo2.
      <http://tlo2.
      <http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/cqcgi?CQ_SESSION_KEY=ASAMDFLHYJEZ&CQ_QU
      > tlc.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/cqcgi?CQ_SESSION_KEY=ASAMDFLHYJEZ&CQ_QU
      > tlc.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/cqcgi?CQ_SESSION_KEY=ASAMDFLHYJEZ&CQ_QU
      > tlc.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/cqcgi?CQ_SESSION_KEY=ASAMDFLHYJEZ&CQ_QU
      > tlc.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/cqcgi?CQ_SESSION_KEY=ASAMDFLHYJEZ&CQ_QU
      ERY_HANDLE=125793&CQ_CUR_DOCUMENT=43&CQ_TLO_DOC_TEXT=YES#HIT0003> [0]
      <http://tlo2.
      <http://tlo2.
      <http://tlo2.
      <http://tlo2.
      <http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/cqcgi?CQ_SESSION_KEY=ASAMDFLHYJEZ&CQ_QU
      > tlc.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/cqcgi?CQ_SESSION_KEY=ASAMDFLHYJEZ&CQ_QU
      > tlc.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/cqcgi?CQ_SESSION_KEY=ASAMDFLHYJEZ&CQ_QU
      > tlc.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/cqcgi?CQ_SESSION_KEY=ASAMDFLHYJEZ&CQ_QU
      > tlc.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/cqcgi?CQ_SESSION_KEY=ASAMDFLHYJEZ&CQ_QU
      ERY_HANDLE=125793&CQ_CUR_DOCUMENT=43&CQ_TLO_DOC_TEXT=YES#HIT0001> device"
      means a
      device capable of emitting an electronic frequency or other signal
      that may be used by a person to identify, monitor, or record the
      location of another person or object.
      (2) "Motor vehicle" has the meaning assigned by
      Section 501.002, Transportation Code.
      (b) A person commits an offense if the person knowingly
      installs an electronic or mechanical tracking
      <http://tlo2.
      <http://tlo2.
      <http://tlo2.
      <http://tlo2.
      <http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/cqcgi?CQ_SESSION_KEY=ASAMDFLHYJEZ&CQ_QU
      > tlc.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/cqcgi?CQ_SESSION_KEY=ASAMDFLHYJEZ&CQ_QU
      > tlc.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/cqcgi?CQ_SESSION_KEY=ASAMDFLHYJEZ&CQ_QU
      > tlc.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/cqcgi?CQ_SESSION_KEY=ASAMDFLHYJEZ&CQ_QU
      > tlc.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/cqcgi?CQ_SESSION_KEY=ASAMDFLHYJEZ&CQ_QU
      ERY_HANDLE=125793&CQ_CUR_DOCUMENT=43&CQ_TLO_DOC_TEXT=YES#HIT0004> [0]
      <http://tlo2.
      <http://tlo2.
      <http://tlo2.
      <http://tlo2.
      <http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/cqcgi?CQ_SESSION_KEY=ASAMDFLHYJEZ&CQ_QU
      > tlc.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/cqcgi?CQ_SESSION_KEY=ASAMDFLHYJEZ&CQ_QU
      > tlc.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/cqcgi?CQ_SESSION_KEY=ASAMDFLHYJEZ&CQ_QU
      > tlc.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/cqcgi?CQ_SESSION_KEY=ASAMDFLHYJEZ&CQ_QU
      > tlc.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/cqcgi?CQ_SESSION_KEY=ASAMDFLHYJEZ&CQ_QU
      ERY_HANDLE=125793&CQ_CUR_DOCUMENT=43&CQ_TLO_DOC_TEXT=YES#HIT0002> device on
      a motor
      vehicle owned or leased by another person.

      Note that this statute only states that the “installation” of a device is
      illegal. In the past, such devices had to be hard wired onto the vehicle.
      With advancing technology this is no longer required.

      Again this post is not meant to start a “well I think” discussion. It is
      just meant to point out that careful reading of statutes and then searching
      for court decisions (which I have NOT done as to Texas) is a critical point.
      I also see nothing that would not allow the owner/lessee of a vehicle to
      install a device and then have an employee or other person drive the
      vehicle.

      I also would never recommend that anyone break any law. The more important
      reasons I see for the tracking device is for safety and the management of
      your employees. I forgot to mention in my first post that tracking can be
      easily turned on and off. This feature allows the tracking cell phone to be
      used as a time clock for your employees, and if you felt necessary, for an
      unproven sub.

      From: infoguys-list@ <mailto:infoguys-list%40yahoogroups.com>
      yahoogroups.com [mailto:infoguys-list@
      Be careful, that is illegal in Texas unless the person being tracked is the
      actual owner that signed up for the service.

      From: infoguys-list@ <mailto:infoguys-list%40yahoogroups.com>
      yahoogroups.com [mailto:infoguys-list@