Murder of Wendy Kratzert

  • Sue Canaan
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 6, 2008
      Chuck,
      I watched when the story aired both times in CA. I found it to be the most outstanding and fascinating example of investigative work in and out of the private sector. LE knows they will be paid no matter where the investigation leads. I am very curious as to your payment on this case. All the time and miles you put in must have exceeded your retainer and it does not appear you could have been too active on other paying cases. I do not remember the timeline on the story. How many hours did you give up? I highly commend you for the follow through because I know that disheartened feeling of having to change prospective and relationship with the client.

      I work a lot of criminal defense and have clients lie to me all the time; however this is for charged cases and we are looking for a defense position. It is when we get the brilliant clients with the belief they can outsmart everyone that I find most frustrating.

      My question in your case is WHY did the client/suspect hire you when he had not been charged? How did he think this would benefit him? Was he driven by ego? Your thoughts?

      Please let us know if you have published or plan to publish this story. I would love to have the book. I also appreciated the reference (in the show) of your past mistakes and lessons learned.

      Again, great work and thank you for sharing.

      Sue Canaan
      Canaan Investigative Services
      CA License #22303
      PO Box 1430
      Atascadero, CA 93423
      O/F (805) 461-3049

      Save this Hyplet | Create new

    • SlipinN
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 6, 2008
        Hi Sue,

        Thank you for taking the time to write and for asking some very good questions. The killer, Tom Harrision, was demanding the life insurance money from the policy on Wendy from my client. My client in his own mind did not believe that Harrison had really done the killing and looked at Harrsion merely as an opportunist that wanted money . Yes, Ed Kratzert confessed to have a discussion once with Harrison about his marital troubles and yes Harrsion said he could "Take care of the problem". My client responded that he had no money and Harrsion said "well, she has a policy don't she". That was all that was said until a couple of months later police notified Ed Kratzert that Wendy had been found dead.
        Ed, in his own mind figured Harrison for a con that was seizing the moment. I believe Ed thought someone else actually killed Wendy and if he could prove it he would be able to show Harrsion for the Con man that he was. I also think Ed may have figured the case would go unsolved and he would look good in the eye's of others that he made this extra effort to chase down the killer.

        Harrison knew me before I ever took this case. Knew me at arms length,but knew me and my work. I believe Ed may have told Harrison he hired me and that's why Harrison faked his death 3 days after I I fingered Harrison as the suspect. Just my opinion.

        Hours? haha.. yes much more than Kratzert ever paid for. Once I get into a case like this I have a real hard time putting it down. The retainer ran out long before, but I felt I was getting so close I had to go on.
        It gnaws at you and I hate sleepless nights.

        I may very well do a book in the near future on true cases I have worked. This case, Allan Blackthorne/Shelia Belluish and perhaps Carlie Bruscia would all make for some pretty good reading.

        Ed was a weird kind of guy in a lot of ways and a dupe. He spouted off his martial problems to everyone all the time and when he told Harrison, I think Harrison say an opportunity. Once He killed Wendy I think he went back to Ed and said "see, I did it, now you owe or and you talked about it so your in it just as deep as I am"
        I believe Ed felt guilty and yet he was reluctant to pay Harrison any money . Especially to the tune of 100 grand(which is what I understand the policy was).

        One thing about it, you never know what's inside a mans mind. I try to speculate sometimes but in the end it is only a guess.

        By the way if I had been paid for this by the hour it would have worked out to about 5 bucks an hour by the time I finally ended it. Not the way I had it planned, but oh... the plans of mice and men....

        Thank you,

        Chuck Chambers
        WWW.ChambersAgency.com
        Author"The Private investigator's handbook"
        Charter member-Florida association of Private Investigators(FAPI)
        FAPI-West Regional Dir.
        FAPI- 2007 Outstanding service award

        Chambers Investigations
        606 49th st w
        Bradenton Florida 34209
        941-798-3804
        Lic.#A-0001959

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 6, 2008
          Sue, Chuck and all -

          Not meaning to demean the importance nor the significance of Chuck Chamber's
          work, I just wanted to bring another similar story to your attention.

          In 1985 at the World Association of Detective's annual conference, I had the
          honor and pleasure of meeting a private investigator named Jim Conway. He
          was the recipient of the then "Truth in Action" award which is typically
          presented to a non-member of W.A.D. for distinguished service in the fields of
          private security, investigations, law enforcement, or the complimentary
          technical and scientific professions.

          "Just Another Missing Kid" is a documentary film about the search for
          missing teenager, Eric Wilson, directed by John Zaritsky. Eric left his native
          Ottawa in July 1978 in a VW camper on a trip to Boulder, Colorado. He
          disappeared. The movie traces how his family and private investigator Jim Conway work to
          find out what had happened. The film focuses on how little help was given by
          the various police forces and is an indictment of the apathy and bureaucracy
          of the legal system on both sides of the border. Raymond Hatch and Bertram
          Davis, hitchhikers Wilson had picked up, eventually confessed to the murder.

          Originally produced by CBC Television for the documentary news program the
          fifth estate, it was broadcast on CBC television to much acclaim in 1981. It
          was released in theatres in the United States in 1982. In Canada it won an
          ACTRA Award for the best television program and garnered a number of
          international awards including the 1982 Academy Award for Documentary Feature. In 1985,
          the story was made into a feature film called, "Into Thin Air", starring
          Ellen Burstyn and produced by Ron Howard.

          For those of you who have not seen it and more importantly for those of you
          who have never truly worn out the show leather on one case, this is a MUST SEE
          !!!

          818-246-3001 FAX

          "one Nation under God"

          a military veteran