The Cross Border Ops Dilemma...

  • Ricky Gurley
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 5 1:21 PM
      To all,

      Since I posted about my successful apprehension of two fugitives
      from Mexico, I have received some email and seen some posts that seem
      to want to make it appear that I have exaggerated what some seem to
      think was a simple case into a complex undertaking. I want to go into
      some detail and explain the case a little better...

      Was this case actually a simple case to work? For me, YES! It
      was a simple case. I gave credit to my contact in Mexico in my
      experience in Federal Law Enforcement and retired, largely working in
      Mexico, is fluent in the language, familiar with the land, has
      legitimate Private Investigation offices in Mexico and Texas, and is
      an OUTSTANDING Private Investigator. To be clear and honest here, he
      did most of the work. I DID in fact locate these two fugitives in
      Mexico with an email trace. I also had to submit reports to the local
      court system here in Missouri to get continuances from the court here
      in Missouri, so we would have the time we needed to get these
      fugitives back into the USA without the court taking my client's
      money. And as we all know, a large part of what we do in this
      business is dependent upon our network of contacts. So, that is
      primarily where I can take the credit for this work.

      Now, let me say that while this case may have been simple for
      me, it was anything but simple for my contact in Mexico. He had to
      navigate around MANY politics there and make sure that he knew where
      these fugitives were at all times while he was doing this. Don't be
      deceived by the "Armchair Quarterbacks" that have been posting here.
      It is not as easy to work a case like this on the ground in Mexico as
      one might be led to believe by some of the email and posts that I
      have seen.

      I did not go to the media and proclaim that I was a great war
      criminal fugitive hunter, only to be disputed by the Minister of
      Justice in Canada, and make myself look like a foolish, self
      serving, "media hog", I shared my experiences with my peers here on
      this group. To be honest, I don't seek media attention, what little
      bit I have gotten has been without me seeking it at all. My reward
      for my work is not recognition, but instead can be found in my bank
      accounts. My purpose in posting here is to share my experiences with
      my colleagues and hopefully offer something of value to my colleagues
      from my experiences, for example the contact that I used in Mexico is
      freely available to any legitimate P.I. here upon request.

      This job in Mexico was not "hard work" for me, but it did
      require some skills and lots of patience. It did require good
      communication skills, good report writing skills, good skip tracing
      skills, in this particular case good technical abilities on the
      Internet, and again LOTS of patience. LOL.

      There is a gentleman on this board that is a little disappointed
      and has voiced that disappointment here a few times. Originally I was
      looking at hiring him. I made no agreements with him, no contracts,
      and no promises, he was simply a candidate. The fact is, the person I
      chose was better credentialed, more experienced, and seemed more
      professional and legitimate than any of the other candidates that I
      was considering in my personal opinion; so he got the job. I make no
      apologies for that and have no regrets in making that decision.

      If I had to say what made me proud of being a part of this
      particular job, I'd say that with all of the rules in place, and all
      of the politics involved in this particular job, it was done right,
      without breaking any laws in Mexico and/or the USA, nobody (to
      include the fugitives) got "hurt', and we still succeeded at
      completing this job. It is a good feeling to be able to succeed at a
      project, and know that you did it and stayed within the "rule model"
      for that project.

      To me, Fugitive Recovery is not about "kicking in doors",
      physical confrontations, gun fights, and all of the other drama, it
      is simply about saving my client's money by exonerating him from the
      bond he wrote on the defendant that skipped on him. I try to do this
      the most intelligent way possible. I also try to insure that NOBODY
      gets "hurt" in the process, and that includes the fugitive or
      fugitives. And I guess the reason I get paid fairly for this and have
      clients that are considered the more reputable and professional Bail
      Bondsmen in my local area, is because I stay focused on making sure
      that we can at least reduce if not eliminate civil liability issues
      for my clients. No Bail Bondsman wants to have his $10,000.00
      fugitive recovered only to be sued for $100,000.00.

      I would not have the knowledge I have today, had it not been for
      me having the opportunities to study the even more experienced
      Investigators on this forum and other forums like this one. So, it is
      not all about me, it is all about the vast sources of information we
      can all garner by studying the right people that are doing the right
      things in this industry, and have withstood the test of time. Be
      careful who you pick to study, there are many people out there that
      claim all kinds of experiences, and when you look at their past, and
      see them for who they really are now, you become disappointed. I'll
      stick with the Bob Hrodeys, Sue Sarkises, Bill Branscums, Brian
      Ingrams, and people like that to continue to study and learn from.
      Albeit some of them may seem a bit hard to get along with at times,
      if you really watch them you can glean MUCH good information and
      education in this industry, even if most of them are now having to
      use reading glasses, portable oxygen tanks, and walking canes! LOL.
      Beware of the young New Yorker in a slick suit, that makes all kinds
      of incredible claims, and still manages to get himself arrested for
      improper investigation protocols, in front of his colleagues! Nothing
      against New Yorkers, been there, and met some very fine people there!
      Been there very recently, as a matter of fact......

      Well, thats it for me folks, that should explain a lot on the
      Mexico case, if you just read carefully...

      Rick.

      "You'll Find No White Flags Here"

      Phone: (888) 571-0958
      Fax: (877) 795-9800
      Cell: (573) 529-0808

      Email
      RMRI-Inc@...

      Webpage
      http://www.rmriinc.com
    • SlipinN
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 5 3:12 PM
        Rick,

        That was very well said and most professional. I have seen your work over the years and your reputation speaks for itself. Well said and well done!

        Best,

        Chuck Chambers
        WWW.ChambersAgency.com
        Author"The Private investigator's handbook"
        Charter member-Florida association of Private Investigators(FAPI)
        FAPI-West Regional Dir.
        FAPI- 2007 Outstanding service award

        Chambers Investigations
        606 49th st w
        Bradenton Florida 34209
        941-798-3804
        Lic.#A-0001959

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 5 3:26 PM
          --- In infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com, SlipinN <Slipinn@...> wrote:

          > Rick,
          >
          > That was very well said and most professional. I have seen your
          work over the years and your reputation speaks for itself. Well said
          and well done!

          And, I forgot to mention Chuck. But, Chuck is another person that I
          have learned from. And an EXCELLENT P.I.. I had no idea how
          proficient Chuck is for a while, because he is very quiet and
          reserved on these groups. But about a year ago, I saw a Documentary
          on a murder case he worked. And he worked that case PERFECTLY. It was
          a case that actually started in North Carolina. I know you remember
          it, Chuck. That case illustrated a superior skill set in our
          industry, and Chuck made our industry shine with that case. Wish
          you'd tell us all a little about it Chuck. People here could learn
          from it. As I remember it, Chuck basically used all of the "old
          school techniques" to solve that case, just good old fashioned "shoe
          leather sleuthing", and was far more effective than any "computer
          geek" could have hoped to have been. Would that be accurate, Chuck?

          Chuck is probably not as "verbal" on the groups as others, probably
          because he does not like to "make waves". But Chuck is "old school",
          a completely stand up guy, and he knows P.I. work like nobody's
          business. I just don't know if he is using a cane, eye glasses, or an
          oxygen tank to get around with these days...? LOL. Just poking fun at
          ya Chuck.

          Rick.

          "You'll Find No White Flags Here"

          Phone: (888) 571-0958
          Fax: (877) 795-9800
          Cell: (573) 529-0808

          Email
          RMRI-Inc@...

          Webpage
          http://www.rmriinc.com
        • Robert Bryan
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 5 4:49 PM
            Rick,

            Your work precedes you along with your reputation. I have know you now you several years and have followed your work. You are one that helps make our industry shine. Keep up the good work.

            Robert (Chipper) Bryan
            Owner/Investigator
            Night Owl Investigations
            P.O. Box 19137
            Panama City Beach, Fl. 32417
            Office: 850-522-8010
            Fax: 850-522-0704
            Cell: 850-527-0215
            E-Mail: nightowl1@...
            gulfcoastpi@...
            Fl. Lic.# A-2200181

            www.nightowlinvestigations.com
            www.myfapi.org
            www.thePIgroup.com

            Northern Area Director--FAPI
            Charter Member--FAPI
            Events Committee--FAPI
            Benefits Committee--FAPI

[...]

            [
            Recent Activity
            a.. 2New Members
            b.. 1New Links
            Visit Your Group
            Y! Messenger
            Instant smiles

            Share photos while

            you IM friends.

            Search Ads
            Get new customers.

            List your web site

            in Yahoo! Search.

            How-To Zone
            on Yahoo! Groups

            Find garden, home

            & auto groups.
            .

            It has removed 4822 spam emails to date.

          • SlipinN
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 5 5:59 PM
              Hi Rick,

              That was the Murder of Wendy Kratzert. The actual case was done a few years prior to that film. Court TV shot the footage in 2005. I started like most of us do by gathering information on the victim and her life. I was especially interested in the last 30 days prior to her death. I had the husband (My client) collect all the phone bills from the NC residence in order to research who her circle of associates were that summer. I also made a list of everyone the victim knew or visited with. I engaged the client in several hours of story telling about their life, dinners they attended, known distracter's, best friends, work connections and a ton of other seemingly irrelevant piece's of information. Interviewed everyone in Florida I could get my hands on.
              The victim actually lived here in Florida but spent her summers in NC.
              I learned that all was not Camelot in the Kratzert marriage and in fact the husband was very possessive of her.
              I did my homework before ever going to NC and found a strange relationship between the victim and her neighbors across the street in Florida. I found Tom Harrison ,the neighbor had a criminal history and had been involved in the drug business. I made a few calls to neighbors in NC and found that two weeks prior to Wendy's death a couple from Florida had paid her a visit and in fact stayed with her a few days. The victim was murdered about two weeks after they left.

              I informed my client I suspected Tom Harrison was involved in her death. Three days later after telling my client this, Tom Harrison's boat was found burning at sea and he was presumed dead. I thought that was a strange event and knowing his profile I felt he had somehow learned I had him under the microscope and faked his death. I turned a suspicious eye towards my own client. I had a run in with Tom Harrison once in the past so he knew a little about me and my work and I knew more about him than he would have liked.
              A visit to the Marine Patrol confirmed that they felt the fire was started on purpose. An accelerant was used.
              Once I got to NC, I started talking to the victims neighbors and confirmed that a couple had stayed with the victim two weeks prior to her death. They had noticed this because the victim always made the man go outside on the back porch to smoke. The faded butts I found there matched the brand that Tom Harrison smoked.

              Checking rental car records I found that Harrison had returned to Florida just after his trip to NC but rented a second car and left again.
              His second trip was consistent with the time frame the victim was murdered. I did a lot of work in this case and way to much to lay out in an email. During the case I also discovered a second murder by Harrison that was unrelated. At the time this victim was listed as "Missing" but later it was confirmed he was killed by Harrison.

              The case was solved the old way, by people contacts, time lines, circles of contact, and starting at time of death and working in reverse constructing the victims last few weeks of life. I worked it in reverse and I worked it forward. I took statements, dug out records, traced cars, and yes even picked up cigarette butts.

              I went to the murder scene and became Harrison, then became the victim. I drove the route the killer took. Timed it,did it in reverse,ditched the van, ran from the scene..on and on..
              In the end the main suspect was my own client. I thought about the irony of that,and then fulfilled my duty.
              After all he had hired me to solve the murder.
              Harrison was spotted by police and arrested on insurance fraud. I called my client and let him know.
              I also told my client that the Police would be coming to pay him a visit and surely Harrison would now sing like bird. I told him that knowing Harrison, he would roll over and spill everything he knew and of course lay the blame elsewhere BUT the facts would come out and some other person would ride the lightning.

              I rattled the client on purpose because I felt my own client was behind the kill. As soon as the police knocked on his door, he spilled his guts.. in the end Harrison, his wife, and my client were all convicted.
              I did a lot more in this case and it has been many years now but I can tell you this. It did not involve a computer report. It was done one day at a time, one lead at a time and what most today would call "old school". It took place over a period of about 6 months of hands on investigation.
              They found the bones of Todd Borrer in Harrison's pond where he had been chopped up and sunk under the water in Harrison's front yard. Todd was the "Missing person" I discovered during the investigation. Tod had been killed about 2 months before Wendy Kratzert.

              I don't know where Tom Harrison is today he had cancer pretty bad in prison last I knew and not expected to live .
              I expect he is in Hell by now,and rightfully so. So be it.

              Best regards,