RE: [infoguys-list] Real Time GPS Tracking

  • Lists
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 4, 2008
      Be careful, that is illegal in Texas unless the person being tracked is the
      actual owner that signed up for the service.
      Brian K. Ingram, Owner
      Consulting Investigation Services
      Tx. P.I. License: A-08429
      Forensic Data Recovery, Email Tracing ,Internet Investigations, Catastrophic
      Event Investigations
      www.cispi.net
      (972) 937-3938
      Serving Texas since 1996
      Member: American College of Forensic Examiners

      _____

      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 4, 2008
        In a message dated 4/4/2008 9:14:53 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
        list@... writes:

        Be careful, that is illegal in Texas unless the person being tracked is the
        actual owner that signed up for the service.

        Same here in CA.

        ________________________

        818-246-3001 FAX

        "one Nation under God"

        a military veteran

      • Thomas Eskridge
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 4, 2008

          I do believe that you are wrong. Here is the appropriate CA Penal Code

          637.7. (a) No person or entity in this state shall use an
          electronic tracking device to determine the location or movement of a
          person.
          (b) This section shall not apply when the registered owner,
          lessor, or lessee of a vehicle has consented to the use of the
          electronic tracking device with respect to that vehicle.
          (c) This section shall not apply to the lawful use of an
          electronic tracking device by a law enforcement agency.
          (d) As used in this section, "electronic tracking device" means
          any device attached to a vehicle or other movable thing that reveals
          its location or movement by the transmission of electronic signals.
          (e) A violation of this section is a misdemeanor.
          (f) A violation of this section by a person, business, firm,
          company, association, partnership, or corporation licensed under
          Division 3 (commencing with Section 5000) of the Business and
          Professions Code shall constitute grounds for revocation of the
          license issued to that person, business, firm, company, association,
          partnership, or corporation, pursuant to the provisions that provide
          for the revocation of the license as set forth in Division 3
          (commencing with Section 5000) of the Business and Professions Code.

          As you can clearly read, as long as the registered owner, lessor or lessee
          of the vehicle approves of the device being installed it is very legal in
          California to use such a device. This would cover a parent using the device
          to track their child when the child was in the parent's car. (Or I would say
          a spouse to have another spouse tracked, but beware, Penal codes are one
          thing, there could be a court decision that has modified this)

          The other typical uses would be to help ensure the safety of your employees.
          Then the device is carried with the consent and permission of the employee.
          (Even if as a condition of employment)

          I agree that if you planted one of these cell phones in someone's clothing
          without permission, you would be committing a misdemeanor.

          Blanket statements do not help anyone in this business. As some would say,
          "Guns don't kill people, People kill people". Whatever tool or technique you
          choose to use, use the technique/tool wisely and lawfully.

          I do not have the expertise in Texas law to know if that blanket statement
          is true or not. If your in Texas, I guess you should research your law and
          be sure you are compliant prior to any action (s) you may take.

          list@... <mailto:list%40cispi.net> writes:

          Be careful, that is illegal in Texas unless the person being tracked is the
          actual owner that signed up for the service.

          Same here in CA.

          ________________________

          _www.sarkispi.com_ (http://www.sarkispi <http://www.sarkispi.com/> .com/)

          818-246-3001 FAX

          "one Nation under God"

          a military veteran

          (http://travel.
          <http://travel.aol.com/travel-guide/united-states?ncid=aoltrv00030000000016>
          aol.com/travel-guide/united-states?ncid=aoltrv00030000000016)

          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 4, 2008
            Tom -

            I agree after re-reading what Brian of TX wrote at least as far as CA is
            concerned. Brian of TX wrote, "Be careful, that is illegal in Texas unless the
            person being tracked is the actual owner that signed up for the service." and
            then I said, "Same here in CA". I would venture to guess, however, that
            Brian meant it the way I misread it.

            It is true that the REGISTERED owner of the vehicle (which is different from
            the legal owner) is the one who authorizes in CA. However, I strongly
            suggest you consult with an attorney before attempting to do so with a spouse.

            ________________________

            818-246-3001 FAX

            "one Nation under God"

            a military veteran

          • jose saavedra arias
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 4, 2008
              You are Right Ron I See you really Know about your Profession.
              Joseph.

              Rolingsmi@... escribió:
              Its not rocket science if the fugitive is a US citizen, once they have
              overstayed the 180 days Mexican Immigration will send them to US Marshals or
              FBI....You dont have to worry about the fugitive fighting extradition..they cant
              its an immigration violation.

              Thanks,
              Ron

              Ron Oling, JD
              25906 Hootananny
              San Antonio, Texas 78260
              (210) 669-9810
              Cancunpi@...

              _www.costaricapi.com_ (http://www.costaricapi.com/)
              _www.investigationsatmexico.com_ (http://www.investigationsatmexico.com/)

              Your Latin American investigative source.

            • Thomas Eskridge
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 6, 2008
                First and foremost, if you do anything based on my opinion, your nuts. With
                that said, and this is more a statement of how the courts and legislature
                are having trouble keeping up with technology. Here is the cut and past of
                Texas law.

                § 16.06. UNLAWFUL INSTALLATION OF TRACKING
                <http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/cqcgi?CQ_SESSION_KEY=ASAMDFLHYJEZ&CQ_QU
                ERY_HANDLE=125793&CQ_CUR_DOCUMENT=43&CQ_TLO_DOC_TEXT=YES#HIT0002> [0]
                <http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/cqcgi?CQ_SESSION_KEY=ASAMDFLHYJEZ&CQ_QU
                ERY_HANDLE=125793&CQ_CUR_DOCUMENT=43&CQ_TLO_DOC_TEXT=YES#HIT0000> DEVICE.
                (a) In this section:
                (1) "Electronic or mechanical tracking
                <http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/cqcgi?CQ_SESSION_KEY=ASAMDFLHYJEZ&CQ_QU
                ERY_HANDLE=125793&CQ_CUR_DOCUMENT=43&CQ_TLO_DOC_TEXT=YES#HIT0003> [0]
                <http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/cqcgi?CQ_SESSION_KEY=ASAMDFLHYJEZ&CQ_QU
                ERY_HANDLE=125793&CQ_CUR_DOCUMENT=43&CQ_TLO_DOC_TEXT=YES#HIT0001> device"
                means a
                device capable of emitting an electronic frequency or other signal
                that may be used by a person to identify, monitor, or record the
                location of another person or object.
                (2) "Motor vehicle" has the meaning assigned by
                Section 501.002, Transportation Code.
                (b) A person commits an offense if the person knowingly
                installs an electronic or mechanical tracking
                <http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/cqcgi?CQ_SESSION_KEY=ASAMDFLHYJEZ&CQ_QU
                ERY_HANDLE=125793&CQ_CUR_DOCUMENT=43&CQ_TLO_DOC_TEXT=YES#HIT0004> [0]
                <http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/cqcgi?CQ_SESSION_KEY=ASAMDFLHYJEZ&CQ_QU
                ERY_HANDLE=125793&CQ_CUR_DOCUMENT=43&CQ_TLO_DOC_TEXT=YES#HIT0002> device on
                a motor
                vehicle owned or leased by another person.

                Note that this statute only states that the “installation” of a device is
                illegal. In the past, such devices had to be hard wired onto the vehicle.
                With advancing technology this is no longer required.

                Again this post is not meant to start a “well I think” discussion. It is
                just meant to point out that careful reading of statutes and then searching
                for court decisions (which I have NOT done as to Texas) is a critical point.
                I also see nothing that would not allow the owner/lessee of a vehicle to
                install a device and then have an employee or other person drive the
                vehicle.

                I also would never recommend that anyone break any law. The more important
                reasons I see for the tracking device is for safety and the management of
                your employees. I forgot to mention in my first post that tracking can be
                easily turned on and off. This feature allows the tracking cell phone to be
                used as a time clock for your employees, and if you felt necessary, for an
                unproven sub.

                From: infoguys-list@ <mailto:infoguys-list%40yahoogroups.com>
                yahoogroups.com [mailto:infoguys-list@

                tom@... <mailto:tom%40gohtci.com> <mailto:tom%40gohtci.com> so that

                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 6, 2008
                  The last PI that put a battery operated tracking device on a vehicle that I
                  know about, was a Dallas PI. He got prosecuted because the definition on
                  install doesn't mean you have to hard wire it.
                  He affixed it to the vehicle.
                  He also lost his license.
                  Brian

                  _____

                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 6, 2008
                    Brian

                    Just to be clear. This PI ad permission of the owner to attach the device,
                    however the owner was not the driver and that caused his conviction? If
                    possible, could you provide the name of the PI so that I could research the
                    facts of the case?

                    Thanks in advance

                    Tom Eskridge
                    Chief Operations Officer
                    High Tech Crime Institute Inch

                    From: infoguys-list@ <mailto:infoguys-list%40yahoogroups.com>

                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 6, 2008
                      Nope, I don't think that was it. I believe the subject's employer hired the
                      PI and to trace her, he put in the GPS.
                      I understand what you are saying and I'm not trying to make out like there
                      is never a need or legitimate reason to have a GPS device, you just have to
                      be careful.
                      They are looking quite down on it here.

                      From: infoguys-list@ <mailto:infoguys-list%40yahoogroups.com>

                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 6, 2008
                        Brian -

                        Did the subject's employer have the PI GPS a company car or the subject's
                        car?

                        ________________________

                        818-246-3001 FAX

                        "one Nation under God"

                        a military veteran

                      • Thomas Eskridge
                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 6, 2008
                          Good, that sounds like a case of a third party placing a device on someone’s
                          car without the permission of the owner or occupant.

                          That is different than your original post.

                          I could well understand how if someone put a GPS on someone’s car without
                          permission of the owner of THAT car or the occupant of that vehicle it would
                          be illegal, immoral and generally not very smart.

                          From: infoguys-list@ <mailto:infoguys-list%40yahoogroups.com>

                          Message 12 of 21 , Apr 6, 2008
                            personal car

                            _____