In addition

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 25, 2008
      Amy -

      By any chance was this a JLG aerial lift? If so, start doing some heavy
      investigating as they had a big issue with sheared bolts last summer, maybe
      spring. Where the problem comes into play is that the turntable bolts are
      usually concealed by a cover plate. To truly inspect the bolts you have to remove
      the cover plate and most people do NOT do that before each shift. However,
      that is mandated by ANSI and OSHA if my memory serves me correctly.

      If you can get your hands on the manual it will tell you specifically how
      often to replace the bolts in their entirety according to the manufacturer.
      Those buckets put an extraordinary amount of pressure on the turntable and
      shearing is a very serious concern. Water seeps under the plate and rusting is
      quite common among other things. Also, as previously stated, the integrity of
      the actual bolts might have been compromised by the bolt maker. One thing I
      am quite certain of though is that if you can get your hands on the
      manufacturer's maintenance/operating manual you will learn a lot of information and
      you will be shocked at the rules. They are some of the strictest in the
      industry because of the safety factors involved.

      Another issue based on something said earlier. The employee who was in the
      bucket was supposed to be certified, I believe. Certification requires
      training. Although there is no training in the world that will protect you when
      the shearing actually happens, I believe if he wasn't properly trained and
      certified, something the employer definitely knew, that would fall smack dab on
      the shoulders of the employer in the eyes of the jury.

      You can find the OSHA and ANSI rules here -
      _http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=STANDARDS&p_id=10754_
      (http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=STANDARDS&p_id=10754)

      818-246-3001 FAX

      "one Nation under God"