Re: Another day at the office....

  • Ricky Gurley
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 4, 2008
      --- In infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <lv_steve1199@...>
      wrote:

      > Congratulations Rick!
      >
      > Some great PR, gets people thinking....
      >
      > Is the writer on your payroll <grin>

      I normally don't do press.... And I thought that my name would not
      even come up in the article. I did talk with the reporter by phone,
      but I thought he said that my name would not show up in the article,
      maybe he didn't?

      So, I thought nothing of the very brief interview. Surprisingly I
      found out about the article, when a person unknown to me sent me an
      email mentioning the article, and graciously offering his assistance
      to me on this case.

      I was misquoted a tiny bit.. I never used the term "sophisticated
      hacker". As a matter of fact, I mentioned how easy it is these days
      to obtain certain tools from the Internet that make "hacking" easier,
      and give the user a GUI nowadays, as opposed to the days of command
      line "hacking". I also mentioned that email interception and email
      account breaches are actually fairly common these days. I actually
      work quite a few of these types of cases, hence the "Another day at
      the office", and most of them are just simple things like weak
      passwords, unsecured wireless networks, cross-site scripting
      exploits, and buffer overflows. Anyone with a little knowledge of
      computers can research these types of attacks, download the right
      tools, and they are off to the races. Metasploit is a good proof of
      concept...

      I would think, having said these things, one would think that I was
      indicating that the chances are that this was NOT a "sophisticated
      hack"... But, I am sure that there was a touch of sensationalism in
      there, and that is the reporter just doing his job..

      And I personally think that the reporter did a good job overall. Not
      to mention that the attorney is actually a very nice person, and a
      real compassionate individual, that has been placed in a very
      uncomfortable position over an email exchange that was supposed to be
      a private and confidential communication between him and his wife.

      Ohh, and if I could afford a PR person Steve, I'd get someone that is
      as good with words as you. LOL.

      Rick Gurley

      RMRI, Inc.
      http://www.rmriinc.com