Re: [infoguys-list] Statement Markup

  • RanchoAttySvc@aol.com
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 12, 2008
      Is she saying your time, education and experience provided in auditing,
      coordinating, managing and overseeing the job should be at "no charge"? I've
      never heard of such a thing. Whether in process, investigations, or other
      support businesses, unless the contract specifically states that the "individual"
      contracted with will be the sole person to do the job, I don't see that she
      has a leg to stand on. Usually, those contracts would refer to "(firm name)
      and/or it's agents or employees".

      Silly woman sounds like she either needs a course in economics or she's
      independently wealthy and works "pro bono". Would she expect to be
      paid/reimbursed only what it cost her (secretary, receptionist, process server, paralegal)
      or does she charge by the hour for services provided by her firm?

      _ "RASCAL" - Your friendly neighborhood Process Server_
      (http://www.ranchoattorneyservice.com/)

      Michele Dawn, RPS 117
      Michele Dawn, RPS 117 & CA PI 24790
      Rancho Attorney Service of California &
      RASCAL's Research & Location Services
      28465 Old Town Front St, Suite 318
      Temecula, CA 92590
      (951) 693-0165 or fax (951) 693-4056
      CALSPro NCISS NAPPS NAIS CAJP
      Successfully coordinating services world wide since 1977!!
      MC - Visa - American Express

    • Ricky Gurley
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 12, 2008
        --- In infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com, RanchoAttySvc@... wrote:

        > Is she saying your time, education and experience provided in
        auditing,
        > coordinating, managing and overseeing the job should be at "no
        charge"? I've
        > never heard of such a thing. Whether in process, investigations,
        or other
        > support businesses, unless the contract specifically states that
        the "individual"
        > contracted with will be the sole person to do the job, I don't see
        that she
        > has a leg to stand on. Usually, those contracts would refer
        to "(firm name)
        > and/or it's agents or employees".

        I agree here.. Simply put, it is all about the contract... Our
        contracts should clearly reflect what we are billing for. Our
        contracts should show what we charge per hour, and that is pretty
        well what we are charging when we are working on the case specified
        in the contract. Even if part of this involves "managing" our sub-
        contractors. Just like Brian stated, your license is the license that
        is on the line, so it behooves you to know exactly what your sub-
        contractors are doing, and if you need to make adjustments to what
        your sub-contractors are doing, don't be afraid to make them. Even if
        your license is not an issue in this scenario, you will be the one
        getting sued by your client if your sub-contractor "screws up".

        I walked away with a pretty "bitter" taste in my mouth over hiring
        sub-contractors not too long ago. You have to be careful with sub-
        contractors, one solid piece of advice that I will freely give any
        P.I. here is that you make sure that your contract with your sub-
        contractors (your sub-contractor agreement) are just as "tight" as
        the one you have with your client.

        My personal method for dealing with sub-contractors now, is to first;
        before anything is done, make sure that I have my sub-contractor's
        agreement signed and completed, then let them do the work with
        updates to me as frequently as our sub-contractor's agreement states,
        with any necessary adjustments being made as the work is being
        performed. in other words, STAY ON TOP OF YOUR SUB-CONTRACTORS!

        To the issue at hand. I do make money from my sub-contractor's work,
        and everyone "in the loop" knows it (there should be a detailed
        clause in your contract with your client that clearly defines and
        deals with the use of sub-contractors). In my contract the client is
        fully aware that the costs incurred from hiring sub-contractors will
        be passed off to them. Due to the problems I have had with sub-
        contractors on one job, I have formed my own personal policy for
        hiring a sub-contractor as advised by my attorney. I have a fairly
        straight-forward approach. I require a non-disclosure agreement to be
        signed before the case is discussed. After the non-disclosure
        agreement is signed and completed, I outline exactly what I need from
        the sub-contractor, all pertinent details that the sub-contractor
        needs to know, and then I request a written estimate (typed, from
        their accounting program). I pay all of my sub-contractors a minimum
        of $100.00/hr., no less, but in some cases more, depending on the
        particular "skill set" I need and their experience. After the non-
        disclosure agreement is signed, and the estimate is sent in, we work
        on completing the sub-contractor's agreement, based on the written
        estimate I can estimate how much of a retainer I am willing to pay,
        the only thing left to negotiate is hourly fee, time limits (T.A.T.),
        and exactly what I wish for the sub-contractor to perform and
        achieve. After all of this is completed I immediately send the
        retainer with some type of a proof of receipt, usually UPS or FedEx,
        then as the work is performed the sub-contractor bills me, and I pay
        them, I bill the client my hourly fee for any time I spend "managing"
        the sub-contractor. Right from the beginning I am usually 4 to 6
        hours in just getting all of the documents completed with the sub-
        contractor.

        My hard and fast rules in dealing with sub-contractors:

        If they don't want to sign a non-disclosure agreement with me, I hang
        up the phone, never look back, don't re-negotiate, and move onto the
        next candidate.

        If they won't send me a written estimate, there is something left to
        be desired in their in how they conduct business, and I move onto the
        next one until they are ready to send me a written estimate. I do
        leave this open, for them to come back to me with a written estimate,
        however.

        If they won't sign my sub-contractor's agreement, I hang up the
        phone, never look back, and make sure that I never consider them for
        any future work from me.

        The first time I don't get an update as agreed upon by both of us, I
        call and "counsel". The second time, I give a pretty stern warning.
        And there is no third time.

        If the sub-contractor is not willing to make the adjustments that I
        require as I feel necessary to protect my company from any civil
        liability, I terminate the contract.

        These rules are my "hard and fast rules" for a reason. Professional
        clients want to employ discreet professionals. If your sub-contractor
        won't sign a non-disclosure agreement, you should have cause for
        concern over how discreet your sub-contractor is will be, and a sub-
        contractor that does not understand the value of being discreet can
        be the "kiss of death" for an investigation, and can get you sued
        very quickly.

        If the sub-contractor can't provide a written estimate (knowing that
        this is only an ESTIMATE), in my opinion he or she is unwilling to
        commit to their own fee structure, and until he or she is willing to
        make that commitment, they have no business working with me, when I
        have already made that same commitment to my client.

        If the sub-contractor is calling their self a professional, and will
        not insist on a contract with you, something is not as it should be.
        If he or she will not sign a contract when you insist, it tells me
        that they want "room to screw", and I would rather not do business
        with someone that even entertains that notion.

        If the sub-contractor does not have time in some instances to give me
        a decent update, I can understand that to a point; but that
        subcontractor should not be missing three consecutive updates to me.
        There is a need for me to stay "in the loop". If the sub-contractor
        does not think that need is there, then I need to find a sub-
        contractor that does understand that need.

        And lastly, but most importantly. As Brian said, it is the
        P.I.s "butt on the line", if the sub-contractor "screws up", so it is
        the P.I. that should make the call as to what adjustments he or she
        feels are necessary to protect his or her license. If the sub-
        contractor does not understand this, then let that sub-contractor go
        play with someone else's livelihood, but not mine.

        In my opinion, this process curtails any of the questions you are
        encountering in regards to your sub-contractor. It also helps to
        protect you with documentation so that you don't get "burned' by the
        sub-contractor, and everything looks as it is, on paper; on the "up
        and up".

        Rick.

        "You'll Find No White Flags Here"

        Phone: (888) 571-0958
        Fax: (877) 795-9800
        Cell: (573) 529-0808

        Email
        RMRI-Inc@...

        Webpage
        http://www.rmriinc.com
      • Glad4JC@aol.com
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 12, 2008
          In any business unless otherwise stated in writing a subcontractor is
          expecting to be paid by the person who hired him. But I know there are some
          situations where a subcontractor if not paid by the contractor in a timely fashion
          can put a "mechanics lein" on the contractors property through a court order.
          Some greater legal mind than mine can go into more about this but it would
          seem to me that the subcontractor really has a legal issue of redress not
          with the original client but with the person who hired him in the first place.

          Subcontractors are also very different from employees as far as legal
          treatment. Employees could go to the state labor board to demand payment for
          their services, subcontractors cannot, they have to file a suit with the hope of
          getting a good judgement and a lein.

          Gladys Brierley
          Accurate Investigations
          PO BOX 872
          Newton County, Mississippi
          601-480-3181 cell
          601-683-2094 fax & bus
          Bus License # 1499
          Glad4JC@...
          Member NAIS, ACI, IA, InfoGuys
          _www.freewebs.com/glad4jc_ (http://www.freewebs.com/glad4jc)
          _www.myspace.com/mississippiinvestigator_
          (http://www.myspace.com/mississippiinvestigator)

          Services include but not limited to, online record searches, courier
          services, domestic-fidelity checks, employee theft, process service, witness
          interview, surveillance, specialized referrals for computer forensics, recovery &
          extractions, missing children cases. Professional courtesy to other PI's . I
          promise to give you my very best efforts and safeguard client confidentiality.

          _MississippiPrivateInvestigators : MISSISSIPPI PRIVATE INVESTIGATORS_
          (http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/MississippiPrivateInvestigators/?yguid=8099974
          )

          _Find me on MySpace and be my friend!_
          (http://www.myspace.com/mississippiinvestigator)

          DO YOU WANT YOUR COUNTRY BACK?

          Dr. RON PAUL…

          has never voted to raise taxes.
          has never voted for an unbalanced budget.
          has never voted for a federal restriction on gun ownership.
          has never voted to raise congressional pay.
          has never taken a government-paid junket.
          has never voted to increase the power of the executive branch.
          voted against the Patriot Act.
          voted against regulating the Internet.
          voted against the Iraq war.
          does not participate in the lucrative congressional pension program.
          returns a portion of his annual congressional office budget to the U.S.
          treasury every year.
          supported Ronald Reagan against Gerald Ford in 1976.

          In a message dated 1/12/2008 12:11:05 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
          rth@... writes:

          That's why I always make it
          clear with a new attorney client in a letter of understanding that HE is
          the client (unless otherwise agreed to in writing in a special case) and
          that he acknowledges that he's responsible for payment of the bill.

          -----------

        • John Leonard
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 12, 2008
            Does anyone know of some new directories I can get listed on for free? This site dontbeavictim.org put me at the top of their directory just for posting a reciprical link. I started my own reciprical link site too theprivateinvestigatordirectory.com . It isn't doing really well though.

            I made some costly advertising mistakes last year. I paid some web advertising companies from $450 to $900 dollars to create advertisements on their websites for me. I use the google analytics (it is free) and many of these advertisements I have paid for have not generated one lead. On the other hand $900 of cost per click advertising gets many leads. I turned off the content network on the CPC because the bounce rate and time on page indicated (click fraud?) no value.

            The single largest free generator of business for me last year was craigslist.com. I would put a listing under legal services. Posting on craigslist also positively affected my sight ranking with search engines. Infoguys.com has a good affect too.

            If I can offer some advice to all of you this year it will be this and feel free to discuss it with the group:

            phone book advertising is dead (my company name starts with a V)
            install tracking code on your website (google analytics)
            don't sign on with anyone who has an annual contract (even if payments are monthly)
            don't sign up with companies that do not bill monthly
            try the cost per click campaigns (especially if you have a niche)
            Get as many reciprical links as possible (paid links from link companies will hurt your search engine ranking)

            I'd love to hear what did or didn't work for others. I know many of you will not want to share.

            John Leonard
            Versatek, LLC
            www.virginiaprivateinvestigator.us

          • Glad4JC@aol.com
            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 12, 2008
              Rick,

              I like your approach. I think it is best when everyone knows where they
              stand and what is expected from them. If someone is not willing to sign a non
              disclosure what are they saying, they cannot be trusted.
              Two if they are not willing to give you an estimate of their fees, you need
              to know what to expect so you can pass this along to the client.
              Three if they are not willing to sign a reasonable subcontractor agreement
              then do not do business with them.

              I have done business with other investigators on short term projects and
              have not been asked to sign any agreements. Neither did I ask them to sign, we
              were lucky that all parties were honorable. But in general when dealing with
              anyone I think it is best to get something in writing. People have short
              memories. What helped a lot was I kept in touch all the time and updated,
              asked for guidance if needed and got clearance to deviate or add to the plan
              before proceeding.

              I did have one investigator as I mentioned to you in private ask me to sign
              an insane contract with insane fees and gas mileage which I politely declined
              and wished him well, I think he may still be looking for someone....at those
              prices and with that type of contract but in general as long as the contract
              is not designed to get the contractor out of paying for services for some
              tiny mistake, then I say be gracious and sign it and hopefully it will be a
              good marriage.

              I don't know why anyone would try to trick another investigator, one told me
              recently he had subs go to a site, knock on a door take some video, leave
              the surveillance assignment and bill for 8 hours. That is fraud, and stupid,
              anyone who thinks they can get away with that with anyone is fooling
              themselves and destroying their reputation.

              As a sub I am willing to work with someone in the beginning to allow the
              trust relationship to build but I also feel sometimes a few people may try to
              take advantage of a new relationship by using the "don't know your work
              product" routine, dangle the proverbial carrot and see if you take the bait. I know
              it has happened to me and I having bid on any Brooklyn Bridges lately.

              Keep me in mind if you need someone in Miss or Alabama and the other things
              we talked about....

              Glad

[...]

              In a message dated 1/12/2008 3:33:45 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
              rmriinc@... writes:

              --- In _infoguys-list@infoguys-lisinf_ (mailto:infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com)
              , RanchoAttySvc@, Ranc

              > Is she saying your time, education and experience provided in
              auditing,
              > coordinating, managing and overseeing the job should be at "no
              charge"? I've
              > never heard of such a thing. Whether in process, investigations,
              or other
              > support businesses, unless the contract specifically states that
              the "individual"
              > contracted with will be the sole person to do the job, I don't see
              that she
              > has a leg to stand on. Usually, those contracts would refer
              to "(firm name)
              > and/or it's agents or employees".

              I agree here.. Simply put, it is all about the contract... Our
              contracts should clearly reflect what we are billing for. Our
              contracts should show what we charge per hour, and that is pretty
              well what we are charging when we are working on the case specified
              in the contract. Even if part of this involves "managing" our sub-
              contractors. Just like Brian stated, your license is the license that
              is on the line, so it behooves you to know exactly what your sub-
              contractors are doing, and if you need to make adjustments to what
              your sub-contractors are doing, don't be afraid to make them. Even if
              your license is not an issue in this scenario, you will be the one
              getting sued by your client if your sub-contractor "screws up".

              I walked away with a pretty "bitter" taste in my mouth over hiring
              sub-contractors not too long ago. You have to be careful with sub-
              contractors, one solid piece of advice that I will freely give any
              P.I. here is that you make sure that your contract with your sub-
              contractors (your sub-contractor agreement) are just as "tight" as
              the one you have with your client.

              My personal method for dealing with sub-contractors now, is to first;
              before anything is done, make sure that I have my sub-contractor'be
              agreement signed and completed, then let them do the work with
              updates to me as frequently as our sub-contractor'updates to me as fre
              with any necessary adjustments being made as the work is being
              performed. in other words, STAY ON TOP OF YOUR SUB-CONTRACTORS!

              To the issue at hand. I do make money from my sub-contractor'To the i
              and everyone "in the loop" knows it (there should be a detailed
              clause in your contract with your client that clearly defines and
              deals with the use of sub-contractors)deals with the use of sub-contracto
              fully aware that the costs incurred from hiring sub-contractors will
              be passed off to them. Due to the problems I have had with sub-
              contractors on one job, I have formed my own personal policy for
              hiring a sub-contractor as advised by my attorney. I have a fairly
              straight-forward approach. I require a non-disclosure agreement to be
              signed before the case is discussed. After the non-disclosure
              agreement is signed and completed, I outline exactly what I need from
              the sub-contractor, all pertinent details that the sub-contractor
              needs to know, and then I request a written estimate (typed, from
              their accounting program). I pay all of my sub-contractors a minimum
              of $100.00/hr., no less, but in some cases more, depending on the
              particular "skill set" I need and their experience. After the non-
              disclosure agreement is signed, and the estimate is sent in, we work
              on completing the sub-contractor'on completing the sub-contractor'<WBR>
[...]

              If they won't sign my sub-contractor'If they won't sign my s

              _RMRI-Inc@..._ (mailto:RMRI-Inc@...)

              Webpage
              _http://www.rmriinc.htt_ (http://www.rmriinc.com/)

              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 12, 2008
                In a message dated 1/12/2008 5:36:44 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                Glad4JC@... writes:

[...]

                * * * * * * * * * *

                Gladys -

                I'm not sure which law school you attended. I know I took my courses at the
                University of West Los Angeles School of Law. There is no way a PI or their
                subs can place a mechanic's lien on any property, personal or real. As a
                matter of fact, off the top of my head I can only think of one licensee of CA's
                BSIS who would be so entitled and that would be "Alarm Companies".

                Mechanic's liens are an available option for anyone hired to create a
                physical work of improvement whether it be on your house, your car or just to
                repair some antique chairs. In the terms of a mechanic's lien the only type of
                subcontractor entitled to benefit would be akin to a painter, a roofer, any
                drayman, an auto mechanic,
                a reupholsterer, a machinist, surveyors, engineers, architects and the like
                who, as previously stated, have signed up for a work of improvement for
                construction, alteration, addition to, or repair upon, property, real or personal.

                ________________________

                818-242-9824 FAX

                "one Nation under God"

                a military veteran !

              • rgrc860@aol.com
                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 12, 2008
                  this is 5 times this email has been sent to me. cool it.

                • Glad4JC@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 12, 2008
                    Sue,

                    That is really interesting, glad you pointed it out, I never went to law
                    school, only took law classes in my undergrad studies, lol. I had knowledge of
                    a situation where a "mechanics" lein was placed upon real estate that was
                    purchased after a debtor went into default on some loan many years before. This
                    was in Orange County CA, the lein was paid by the buyer and the sale of the
                    home went through. As far as I recall the debt was not related to any
                    improvements of property of any kind it was simply an unpaid debt that ended up in
                    a court judgement and it showed up when the seller tried to sell the house.

                    I had always thought that a "mechanics" lein was just what it said as you
                    explained it. I also heard of another situation where a very close friend of
                    mine now divorced and in full possession of he marital property went to sell
                    her house and found a $20,000 lein against her home on a debt that her
                    exhusband co signed for his brother to buy a truck. The brother defaulted and no
                    one knew it would be on the house since they were divorced before the brother
                    defaulted and she won the marital home in the divorce. No matter how hard she
                    tried she could not get that judgement removed and it shows up as a
                    "mechanics lein". She worked it out so that he ex did some remodelling in exchange
                    for her paying off the lein when she sells, another situation that had nothing
                    to do with true mechanical improvements.

                    I have only had a few law classes that is why I suggested someone with a
                    greater legal mind than mine may know more about this.

[...]

                    _Glad4JC@..._ (mailto:Glad4JC@...) writes:

[...]

                    _www.sarkispi._www.s_http://www.sarkispihttp:_ (http://www.sarkispi.com/) )

                    818-242-9824 FAX

                    "one Nation under God"

                    a military veteran !

                    ************************<WBR>**Start the year off right. Easy ways t
                    _http://body.http://body.<WBRhttp://body.<WBRhttp://body.<WBRhttp://bo_
                    (http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489)

                  • Ricky Gurley
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 12, 2008
                      > I'm not sure which law school you attended. I know I took my
                      courses at the
                      > University of West Los Angeles School of Law. There is no way a
                      PI or their
                      > subs can place a mechanic's lien on any property, personal or
                      real. As a
                      > matter of fact, off the top of my head I can only think of one
                      licensee of CA's
                      > BSIS who would be so entitled and that would be "Alarm Companies".
                      >
                      > Mechanic's liens are an available option for anyone hired to create
                      > physical work of improvement whether it be on your house, your car
                      or just to
                      > repair some antique chairs. In the terms of a mechanic's lien the
                      only type of
                      > subcontractor entitled to benefit would be akin to a painter, a
                      roofer, any
                      > drayman, an auto mechanic,
                      > a reupholsterer, a machinist, surveyors, engineers, architects and
                      the like
                      > who, as previously stated, have signed up for a work of improvement
                      for
                      > construction, alteration, addition to, or repair upon, property,
                      real or personal.

                      In furtherance, and this is the statute as it applies to a mechanic's
                      lien or "materialman's lien" in Missouri (other states may vary)...

                      Chapter 429
                      Statutory Liens Against Real Estate
                      Section 429.010

                      August 28, 2007

                      Mechanics' and materialmen's lien, who may assert--extent of lien.
                      429.010. 1. Any person who shall do or perform any work or labor upon
                      land, rent any machinery or equipment, or use any rental machinery or
                      equipment, or furnish any material, fixtures, engine, boiler or
                      machinery for any building, erection or improvements upon land, or
                      for repairing, grading, excavating, or filling of the same, or
                      furnish and plant trees, shrubs, bushes or other plants or provides
                      any type of landscaping goods or services or who installs outdoor
                      irrigation systems under or by virtue of any contract with the owner
                      or proprietor thereof, or his or her agent, trustee, contractor or
                      subcontractor, or without a contract if ordered by a city, town,
                      village or county having a charter form of government to abate the
                      conditions that caused a structure on that property to be deemed a
                      dangerous building under local ordinances pursuant to section 67.410,
                      RSMo, upon complying with the provisions of sections 429.010 to
                      429.340, shall have for his or her work or labor done, machinery or
                      equipment rented or materials, fixtures, engine, boiler, machinery,
                      trees, shrubs, bushes or other plants furnished, or any type of
                      landscaping goods or services provided, a lien upon such building,
                      erection or improvements, and upon the land belonging to such owner
                      or proprietor on which the same are situated, to the extent of three
                      acres; or if such building, erection or improvements be upon any lot
                      of land in any town, city or village, or if such building, erection
                      or improvements be for manufacturing, industrial or commercial
                      purposes and not within any city, town or village, then such lien
                      shall be upon such building, erection or improvements, and the lot,
                      tract or parcel of land upon which the same are situated, and not
                      limited to the extent of three acres, to secure the payment of such
                      work or labor done, machinery or equipment rented, or materials,
                      fixtures, engine, boiler, machinery, trees, shrubs, bushes or other
                      plants or any type of landscaping goods or services furnished, or
                      outdoor irrigation systems installed; except that if such building,
                      erection or improvements be not within the limits of any city, town
                      or village, then such lien shall be also upon the land to the extent
                      necessary to provide a roadway for ingress to and egress from the
                      lot, tract or parcel of land upon which such building, erection or
                      improvements are situated, not to exceed forty feet in width, to the
                      nearest public road or highway. Such lien shall be enforceable only
                      against the property of the original purchaser of such plants unless
                      the lien is filed against the property prior to the conveyance of
                      such property to a third person. For claims involving the rental of
                      machinery or equipment to others who use the rental machinery or
                      equipment, the lien shall be for the reasonable rental value of the
                      machinery or equipment during the period of actual use and any
                      periods of nonuse taken into account in the rental contract, while
                      the machinery or equipment is on the property in question.

                      2. There shall be no lien involving the rental of machinery or
                      equipment unless:

                      (1) The improvements are made on commercial property;

                      (2) The amount of the claim exceeds five thousand dollars; and

                      (3) The party claiming the lien provides written notice within five
                      business days of the commencement of the use of the rental machinery
                      or equipment to the property owner that rental machinery or equipment
                      is being used upon their property. Such notice shall identify the
                      name of the entity that rented the machinery or equipment, the
                      machinery or equipment being rented, and the rental rate.

                      Nothing contained in this subsection shall apply to persons who use
                      rented machinery or equipment in performing the work or labor
                      described in subsection 1 of this section.

                      (RSMo 1939 § 3546, A.L. 1959 S.B. 257 & 295, A.L. 1974 H.B. 1251 §
                      429.010 subsec. 2, A.L. 1986 H.B. 942, et al., A.L. 1990 S.B. 808 &
                      672, A.L. 1992 H.B. 1434 & 1490, A.L. 2005 S.B. 320, A.L. 2007 S.B.
                      302)
                      Prior revisions: 1929 § 3156; 1919 § 7216; 1909 § 8212

                      (1972) A mechanic's lien does not attach to buildings and property
                      owned by a municipality and used for the benefit of the public. Union
                      Reddi-Mix Co. v. Specialty Concrete Contr. (A.), 476 S.W.2d 160

                      Rick.

                      "You'll Find No White Flags Here"

                      Phone: (888) 571-0958
                      Fax: (877) 795-9800
                      Cell: (573) 529-0808

                      Email
                      RMRI-Inc@...

                      Webpage
                      http://www.rmriinc.com
                    • dts683
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jan 12, 2008
                        John Leonard wrote:

                        "Hiring subcontractors is also a form of liability mitigation. I believe
                        if you fail to collect on this debt you do not have to pay your
                        subcontractor if they knew they were a subcontractor. The subcontractor
                        can go directly after your client."

                        I am going to take serious issue with these statements as I believe that
                        what Mr. Leonard wrote is an "attitude" that hurts our industry from the
                        inside. Mr. Leonard appears to take the position that subcontractors
                        are some form of insurance against loss by means of deadbeat clients.
                        This attitude towards subcontractors is not only wrong, but also
                        predatory and unethical.

                        If you hire me to do work for your PI firm, as far as I am concerned,
                        YOU are my client. I work for YOU, not your client. You getting paid
                        by YOUR CLIENT is not my problem, and you have absolutely no right to
                        make it my problem. As the general contractor, you pay me as agreed or
                        I come after YOU, not your client. If you cannot see how your attitude
                        towards subcontractors is hurtful to the industry as a whole, you have
                        some serious ethical issues.

                        I will tell you a little story about subcontracting. In January,
                        February, March, and April 2007, I worked a case for a new lawyer client
                        that ended up taking place on the Illinois/Indiana border. At that
                        time, I was not licensed in Indiana and the subject we were following
                        was constantly crossing the border into Indiana. To make a long story
                        short, I contracted the services of an Indiana PI and we worked the case
                        together. At a certain point, the retainer ran out and more was added
                        by a law firm check. The check bounced BEFORE I paid my Indiana
                        subcontractor, but I paid him ON TIME anyway because I do not make
                        payment issues with my client my subcontractor's problem. After months
                        of back and forth and declined credit card payments, I sued and got a
                        judgment against that law firm in October. On Wednesday, that law firm
                        entered into an agreed payment plan that was put into a court order.
                        Part of that payment plan included a payment of about 20% to be made by
                        Friday at 5:00 p.m. Care to guess how much I received from that law
                        firm on Friday? So a year later, my subcontractor has been paid on time
                        and in full; however, I am still out his fees and mine, plus court costs
                        and attorney's fees.

                        Under your logic, I should not have paid my subcontractor and told him
                        to collect his fees from my law firm client. I will tell you this: it
                        was my fault that I did not verify the additional retainer funds before
                        continuing the work. It was my fault that I took the lawyer's word that
                        the check bounced due to an accounting error and that I continued
                        working under the belief that a replacement check was sent. These are
                        mistakes that I will not likely make again, but they were my mistakes
                        and I own them. My subcontractor had nothing to do with the business
                        between me and my client, so not paying my subcontractor as agreed would
                        have been tantamount to punishing him for my mistakes. Is it ethical to
                        engage the services of a colleague and then fail to pay them because you
                        were not paid? I would say most certainly that it is not. I will go
                        one step further and say that any PI who uses subcontractors as
                        insurance against deadbeat clients deserves to have his/her license
                        revoked, shredded, and then incinerated.

                        One of the most wonderful aspects of this business is the fact that we
                        get to chose who we do business with. You can be stiffed by any client
                        (private individuals, lawyers, insurance companies, and even other PIs);
                        however, you should always remember that at some point you chose to do
                        business with that client. You should also remember that your
                        subcontractor chose to do business with you, not your client. Don't
                        make your problems with your client your subcontractor's problem. Treat
                        your subcontractors how you would want to be treated.

                        Daniel Schroeder, Licensed Private Detective

                        Metro Detective Agency, LLC

                        P.O. Box 1050, DeKalb, IL 60115

                        Office: (815) 787-1111

                        Cellular: (815) 757-8940

                        Fax: (866) 727-2051

                        info@...

                        http://www.metrodetectiveagency.com

                      • rgrc860@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jan 13, 2008
                          why are you flooding all the infoguys group with all this personal stuff
                          about your disputed contract? you are wasting everyones times with this personal
                          crap. don't you feel there are more urgent email info that need to be put
                          out? keep it between yourself and the other peope directly involved!!!

                        • dts683
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jan 13, 2008
                            --- In infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com, rgrc860@... wrote:

                            > why are you flooding all the infoguys group with all this personal
                            > stuff about your disputed contract? you are wasting everyones times
                            > with this personal crap. don't you feel there are more urgent email
                            > info that need to be put out? keep it between yourself and the
                            > other peope directly involved!!!

                            I think this thread started with a legitimate request for assistance
                            in that one investigator was asking other investigators for their
                            advice on a contract dispute. Specifically, the original poster
                            wanted to know how the rest of us bill for a subcontractor's work in
                            an effort to establish an industry standard to be used in court.

                            Personally, I think the original poster will soon find that there are
                            probably at least a dozen different ways that this is handled. In
                            this industry, there are very few standard practices when it comes to
                            billing. If you ask ten investigators how they bill their clients
                            for subcontractors, you will likely get ten different answers.

                            Message 13 of 22 , Jan 13, 2008
                              for almost 2 hours we, on the infoguys list have been getting our mail boxes
                              filled with this contract dispute between a pi firm and a client. i don't
                              believe that is the purpose of the infoguys list! i believe it was to trade
                              relevant info about criminal justice, prisons, prisoners, etc. to provide advice
                              or assistants to those prisoners and those of us involved in trying to help
                              prisoners. not for pi firms, lawyers, wantabes, etc. to continue theories, the
                              law or general debates on contract law. stop it!

                            • Bob Hrodey
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jan 13, 2008
                                Glad4JC@... wrote:
                                > Sue,
                                >
                                > That is really interesting, glad you pointed it out, I never went to law
                                No, Gladys, it really isn't interesting. You've managed to steet this thread away from the topic and away from private investigation matters.

                                How about taking time out to learn how to trim your posts? I know you know how to cut and paste, even if you don't do so properly (by your own admission).

                                I don't think anyone on this list needs to see the same ENTIRE post over and over and over. Quote enough to let us know what you're posting about and be done with it.

                                Oh, one other thing, a 50+ signature line(s) is totally unacceptable as are political statements therein. I don't care if it's for Obama, Paul, Clinton, McCain or Romney. It has no place here.

                                Rant mode off

                                -----------

                                Enjoy,

                                Bob

                                Hrodey & Associates Established 1977
                                Woodstock, IL 60098-0366 NCISS, & P.A.W.L.I.
                                email: inquiry@... or rth@...
                                Illinois License 115-000783 Wisconsin 8045-063
                              • Bob Hrodey
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jan 13, 2008
                                  rgrc860@... wrote:
                                  > for almost 2 hours we, on the infoguys list have been getting our mail boxes
                                  > filled with this contract dispute between a pi firm and a client. i don't
                                  > believe that is the purpose of the infoguys list! i believe it was to trade
                                  > relevant info about criminal justice, prisons, prisoners, etc. to provide advice
                                  > or assistants to those prisoners and those of us involved in trying to help
                                  > prisoners. not for pi firms, lawyers, wantabes, etc. to continue theories, the
                                  > law or general debates on contract law. stop it!

                                  Well, everyone is entitled to their beliefs, but in this case your
                                  beliefs are a bit off base. The home page for info-guys list reads:

                                  "Welcome! Infoguys is a tool for the information professional, the
                                  attorney, the private investigator, and the general public. It's aim is
                                  the friendly, useful, and responsible exchange of legal investigative
                                  information among all its list members. Use the list to network, to
                                  contact a source out of your geographical area or out of your area of
                                  expertise. Use the list to find an investigator or to find a client."

                                  So you see, the original post and most of the follow-up posts were
                                  relevant to the stated purpose of this list. To say it's not for PI
                                  firms, lawyers, etc is a rather ignorant position.

                                  Looking back, I see that you have never bothered to post anything other
                                  than whines and complaints. Never bothered to introduce yourself or use
                                  a signature line so we knew who you were. In fact, the first post you
                                  made "have received NINE of these notices in last 15 minutes. take me
                                  off your email list." is probably the reason you're still here. Not
                                  smart enough to unsubscribe yourself. Perhaps the list owner/moderator
                                  can take care of that for you.

                                  Adios!

                                  -----------

                                  Enjoy,

                                  Bob

                                  Hrodey & Associates Established 1977
                                  Woodstock, IL 60098-0366 NCISS, & P.A.W.L.I.
                                  email: inquiry@... or rth@...
                                  Illinois License 115-000783 Wisconsin 8045-063
                                • david jones
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jan 13, 2008
                                    I would call Ja'nice west, with novastar media.... call her at 561-533-3695. She can advise you on effective methods and doesn't work for one company and works on performance not budget. Sounds like you would benefit from geotargeted advertising. Reciprocal links are extremely over rated. Call her, she knows what she is doing.

                                    Secondly make sure you sales model is set up properly. I know it sounds basic, but you want to get new business then remind old business you are there. Thats the purpose of building a client portfolio.

                                    Mention my name and get you a discount.

                                    Steve Chubbuck
                                    www.ctcintl.com

                                    John Leonard <jkleohart22193@...> wrote: Does anyone know of some new directories I can get listed on for free? This site dontbeavictim.org put me at the top of their directory just for posting a reciprical link. I started my own reciprical link site too theprivateinvestigatordirectory.com . It isn't doing really well though.