PGP Pass Phrase..

  • Ricky Gurley
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 22, 2007
      Sue,

      Also in the interest of informing you, so you don't look too
      foolish here..

      Do you even know how a PGP Pass Phrase is set up? Do you even
      know where the Pass Phrase originates?

      When you set up PGP you are prompted to develop a pass phrase
      (think up a pass phrase). In some of the older version of PGP you
      would move your mouse around the screen to prompt the program to set
      up the pass phrase after you typed it in the prompt box.

      The PGP pass phrase is thought up by, and originates in the mind
      of the person that is setting up PGP. It is not assigned, it is
      developed by the user (thought up by the user). It can be almost
      anything. As a matter of fact, if you and I were talking face to
      face, and you were to ask for mine, I could tell you what it is, and
      you still would not get it right if you tried to decrypt some of my
      encrypted email with it. It is a pass phrase, not a password,
      although a password can be used, but the new PGP programs will rate a
      single password as weak. It IS the ORIGINAL thought of the user. It
      has it origins in the user's mind.... THAT is why it is considered by
      most as the user's PRIVATE THOUGHTS. Unless it is written down, then
      it can become a discoverable document.

      Rick.

      "You'll Find No White Flags Here"

      Phone: (888) 571-0958