Re: [infoguys-list] Re: Los Angeles, CA

  • Bob Hrodey
    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 2, 2007
      Jim Parker wrote:
      > Bob said:
      >
      > "Your argument is also valid in some cases and with regard to those
      > contractors who don't have WC themselves, well, they better hope that
      > the guy they hire at $30 an hour is playing heads up ball since
      > insurance or no, they will likely find that they are still on the hook
      > for injuries incurred by their uninsured sub contractor."
      >
      > Then said:
      >
      > "Your argument is also valid in some cases and with regard to those
      > contractors who don't have WC themselves, well, they better hope that
      > the guy they hire at $30 an hour is playing heads up ball since
      > insurance or no, they will likely find that they are still on the hook
      > for injuries incurred by their uninsured sub contractor."
      >

      > That Alzheimer's is a bitch, eh?

      Hmmm Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V is Copy & Paste, Ctrl-X/Ctrl-V is Cut & Paste.

      Think I got it now! IF only I can remember.

      OTOH, I can hide my own Easter Eggs and make new friends every day.

      --

      Enjoy,

      Bob
      Hrodey & Associates Established 1977
      email: inquiry@... or rth@...
      Illinois License 115-000783 Wisconsin 8045-063
    • dts683
      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 2, 2007
        Bob Hrodey wrote:

        > Your argument is also valid in some cases and with regard to those
        > contractors who don't have WC themselves, well, they better hope that
        > the guy they hire at $30 an hour is playing heads up ball since
        > insurance or no, they will likely find that they are still on the
        > hook for injuries incurred by their uninsured sub contractor.

        Exactly. Unfortunately, the scenario I believe will cause the biggest
        shockwave in the PI subcontracting world requires that a subcontracted
        PI get killed or sustain great bodily harm when the contractor is on
        the hook for the uninsured subcontractor's workers' compensation
        claim. If I as a contractor am on the hook for paying the premium on
        an uninsured subcontractor, it would follow that I would be on the hook
        for any claims too.

        > IIRC, my firm was one of the ones that did, no?

        Yes, you were one of the two; and you probably know who the other is
        too. During my audit I found at least three Illinois PI agencies with
        actual employees who have no workers' compensation coverage. I can
        understand a sole practitioner not having workers' compensation
        coverage, but not an agency with actual employees. If you have an
        agency with actual employees and you don't have workers' compensation
        coverage, you are gambling with not only your business, but your
        personal financial well-being. A seriously injured or dead employee
        could easily bankrupt not only your business, but you personally.

        Daniel Schroeder, Licensed Private Detective
        Metro Detective Agency, LLC
        P.O. Box 1050, DeKalb, IL 60115
        Office: (815) 787-1111
        Cellular: (815) 757-8940
        Fax: (866) 727-2051
        info@...
        http://www.metrodetectiveagency.com
      • Vicki Siedow
        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 2, 2007
          I agree with Sue and Rick, although I'm not quite as pricey as Rick. Still,
          I pay my subs well. I have raised my prices a couple of times in the last
          couple of years, and each time business has increased. I can now live more
          comfortably, and with a lot less stress, in part because I can now afford a
          better quality of subs. My clients are happier with the work, and in many
          cases their overall cost is the same or less, because I now have the
          resources to complete assignments more quickly and with greater accuracy. I
          have more successful outcomes, as well.

          I just wanted to add to Rick's comment about charitable institutions that
          many who run those institutions make very substantial salaries. Even
          charities can be profitable.

          I see in a later post that Mike says this is insurance work. He is correct
          in that insurance work generally pays less. They are always price shopping.

          Vicki Siedow
          Siedow & Associates Investigations
          & Legal Support Services
          2629 Foothill Blvd. #262
          La Crescenta, CA 91214
          Los Angeles County
          CA PI License # 22852
          800.448.6431 toll free
          818.242.0130 local
          818.688.3295 fax
          <mailto:Siedow@...> Siedow@...
          Member NCISS, IWWA

          Need economical legal help?
          Concerned about Identity Theft?

          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 2, 2007
            Vicki Siedow wrote:
            > I have raised my prices a couple of times in the last
            > couple of years, and each time business has increased.

            That is one of the true mysteries of this business that I learned quite
            early on. Like anyone else I was hesitant to bump my prices up when I
            was first getting started. I did so reluctantly, fully expecting an
            exodus - mass or otherwise - to occur. Business actually increased.
            Figured it was a fluke and bumped the rate by 20% the next time
            literally hoping to drive away some of the marginal clients who were
            penny pinchers and always seemed to expect 8 hours of work for 5 hours
            of pay. Didn't happen then either and so far as I can tell has never
            happened in my experience. Higher hourly rate (within reason, of
            course) brings in more business.

            Truly strange.

            Another brief story in re: low pay to subs that might strike a nerve
            with some others here but, nonetheless, it's something to think about.

            A long while back and for quite some time there were two investigative
            firms in my area. Me and the other guy. The other guy had been doing
            it for about 5-7 years before I started out. Like me, he also worked
            for the sheriff's police and was doing it (back then) part-time. He had
            a good load of clients as did I. He was getting time starved (I'm sure
            many of you have that problem from time to time, if not more
            frequently. It's where you have enough work to keep you busy 20 hours a
            day but you don't want to work that much... or have to.)

            At this point he asked me if I could give him a hand with some cases as
            he was severely overloaded. I didn't have a lot of time but he was a
            friend and I said I'd help him out if I could. He asked me how much I
            was charging. At that time, about 22 years ago, I think I was getting
            about $35-$40 hour. He said that he couldn't possibly pay that much as
            he was only billing $22/hr. I told him that there was no way that I'd
            sub for him for anything less than $32. He bitched and moaned and then
            said he'd pay me $30 and no more. I told him that I wouldn't do it even
            if he paid me $40/hr. He asked why not. My response was that if he's
            billing $22 and paying me $30, $32 or, even $40 an hour, he'd have to
            pad the bill to make any money since he refused to raise his rates for
            fear of losing clients. That meant that no matter how great my work
            product was, HIS clients would be looking at the reports and thinking
            "Nice work but why the hell did it take Hrodey 4 hours to do a 1½hr job.

            He simply could not believe (perhaps, RECOGNIZE is the better word) that
            if he doubled his price from $22. to, say, $40 or $45 an hour, that even
            if he lost 50% of his clients, he'd still make the same money in half
            the time. Knowing what I was charging should have also told him that
            his erstwhile clients (if any) weren't going to rush to my door in an
            effort to get a better rate.

            Realize your worth and work to live - don't live to work!

            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 2, 2007
              Folks -

              Let me give you my understanding of insurance the way I believe it to be.
              Having just gotten off the telephone with an attorney to make certain I wasn't
              losing my mind, I feel confident.

              The majority of subbed cases go to sole-proprietors. Sole proprietors
              cannot get W/C insurance. Even if they have E&O as well as liability coverage,
              none of those policies will cover him/her if injured on the job. Now, whether
              or not you the CONTRACTOR will be responsible versus the CONTRACTEE has many
              issues to consider including direct/indirect control, who demands what hours
              are worked, who supplies the equipment, etc., etc., etc. Bottom line, if I
              am a contractee working for you the contractor and I get injured in a
              vehicular accident while conducting a surveillance, I better just keep my mouth shut
              and contact my motor vehicle ins. carrier just as I would in any other
              accident. Same holds true for all other issues.

              If, on the other hand, you subcontract to a company whereby the contractee
              has employees, just by the definition of the beast, he/she has W/C coverage for
              the employees. If not, they are not employees and they are all violating
              the law in any of the states that require licensure.

              Upon the advice of numerous counsel, I have been bare since the mid to late
              '80's. Long story about a 10 mil lawsuit but when all was said and done and
              the jury awarded me a "special verdict" my attorney advised I drop all
              insurance. If you don't want to use my services because of same, be my guest.
              That leaves that much more of me for my other clients. However, don't think
              for one second that you cannot get insurance work without coverage as I am
              handling 2 different insurance cases right now and both carriers know full well I
              am not covered.

              Unless one of the insurance agents come and push me in front of a moving
              vehicle, anything that happens to me is brought about by my own actions and why
              would I sue anyone?

              One other issue to cover is the fact that NO insurance policy will cover
              intentional illegal acts. So, if you think that just because I, the CONTRACTEE,
              have E&O or Liability coverage that you, the CONTRACTOR, are protected
              should I unlawfully obtain bank account information or commit some other invasion
              violation or any other unscrupulous act, I still have that bridge for sale.
              Sorry, it will fall right back in your lap since you hired me.

              Insurance coverage is NOT what it is cracked up to be. Keep your nose clean
              and perform your assignment to the very best of your ability and you will
              walk away a winner. Trust me, when that frivolous lawsuit is filed and your
              insurance company wants to make a "nuisance settlement offer" if you have any
              pride whatsoever as well as concern for your license, you will "hold them
              harmless" and tell them to take a hike. You will wind up handling the case
              yourself anyway.

              ________________________

              818-242-9824 FAX

              "one Nation under God"

              a military veteran !

              Message 6 of 24 , Dec 2, 2007
                Sue,

                I am reading backwards so I am playing catch up. But that sounds right to
                me, so if you can tip me off who will hire an uninsured person. I am probably
                going to get E & O with liability by year end, but in the mean time, I would
                gladly take work from insurance cos who would hire me, I didn't think any
                would so I never inquired. Obviously I would rather have it, and I agree, if I
                am in my car and some accident occurs it is business as usual, I pay for car
                insurance for that.

                I will read back and see what is going on in the conversation.

                Gladys Brierley
                Accurate Investigations
                PO BOX 872
                Newton County, Mississippi
                601-480-3181 bus
                601-683-2094 fax
                Bus License # 1499
                Glad4JC@...
                Member NAIS, ACI, IA
                _www.freewebs.com/glad4jc_ (http://www.freewebs.com/glad4jc)
                _www.myspace.com/mississippiinvestigator_
                (http://www.myspace.com/mississippiinvestigator)

                Services include but not limited to, online record searches, courier
                services, domestic-fidelity checks, employee theft, process service, witness
                interview, surveillance, specialized referrals for computer forensics, recovery &
                extractions, missing children cases. Also willing to work with teams on cold
                cases. Professional courtesy to other PI's & Attorneys . I promise to give you
                my very best efforts and safeguard client confidentiality.

                _PARENTS-AGAINST-PREDATORS : PARENTS AGAINST PREDATORS_
                (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PARENTS-AGAINST-PREDATORS/?yguid=206815254)
                _MississippiPrivateInvestigators : MISSISSIPPI PRIVATE INVESTIGATORS_
                (http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/MississippiPrivateInvestigators/?yguid=8099974
                )

                _Find me on MySpace and be my friend!_
                (http://www.myspace.com/mississippiinvestigator)

                This e-mail message is protected by the Electronic Communications Privacy
                Act, 18 U.S.C. §2510-2521 and is legally privileged. Unauthorized review, use
                or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you have received this in error,
                please reply and notify the sender (only) and delete the message. Unauthorized
                interception of this e-mail is a violation of federal criminal law.

                _www.sarkispi._www.s_http://www.sarkispihttp:_ (http://www.sarkispi.com/) )

                818-242-9824 FAX

                "one Nation under God"

                a military veteran !

                Message 7 of 24 , Dec 2, 2007
                  I don't see many of those being offered in Mississippi, but when I do I
                  often wonder how they think anyone can afford to work so cheap and wait so long
                  to get paid and still have a long resume and insurance, lol.

                  I am not sure I like the idea of people from all over the country
                  advertising here in my state and then trying to get me to do the work cheaply. I don't
                  mind if its a good working relationship with a person who is trying to build
                  a legitimate nation wide or several states business, I have someone I work
                  with like that and it is ok. But it does seem to be a little misleading to
                  overreach into states with big $ advertising and then offer the situation at
                  rock bottom prices to eager newbies, like me. I guess I am doing the right
                  thing by saying NO to any company that wants me to do work for so little and
                  have all their requirements and get paid in 30 days. I feel better already, lol.

[...]

                  In a message dated 12/2/2007 11:33:07 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                  administrator@... writes:

                  Bob Hrodey wrote:

                  > Then you're doing it wrong. Like Sue and Rick, when I see requests
                  > for "sub-contractors" at $25-$50/hour who are required to be
                  > licensed,insured, etc. I laugh. I also believe that in such a case,
                  > your argument about WC expense, employees, etc. have no place in the
                  > equation. If I conform to your needs with regard to licensing, etc.
                  > I am the one incurring the expense of WC, insurance, admin,
                  > mileage, etc. NOT you.

                  Bob,

                  I agree with everything you said, with the exception of one minor
                  point. Having just gone through an insurance audit, I can tell you
                  that most PIs do not have workers' compensation insurance. If I
                  engage the services of either an individual PI or a PI agency and
                  they do not have workers' compensation coverage, I am on the hook for
                  paying that premium. Not one of the individual PIs that I engaged to
                  do work for me on a subcontract basis had workers' compensation
                  coverage; and only two of the PI agencies did. All of them had
                  general liability coverage, but that is probably only because the
                  state requires it. It doesn't shock me that the individual PIs
                  lacked workers' compensation coverage, but you would be surprised how
                  many PI agencies, even PI agencies with actual employees, lack that
                  coverage.

                  The bottom line is that the contractor is more than likely
                  left "holding the bag" to pay workers' compensation coverage on the
                  subcontractor. On the other hand, it is likely that the contractor
                  doesn't have workers' compensation coverage anyway. If the
                  contractor does happen to have workers' compensation coverage, the
                  rate is probably around 4% at the most. The contractor is still
                  going to get away without having to pay matching social security and
                  medicare (6.2% and 1.45% respectively) along with federal and state
                  unemployment taxes (varies) and general liability insurance (around
                  4%).

                  I don't necessarily take issue with people offering assignments at
                  ridiculously low rates to other PIs. We all have the capacity to
                  say "NO" and some of us should exercise it more. It feels good to
                  say "NO" to a case or client; and all of us should "just say no" to
                  these companies wanting to pay ridiculously low rates. If we all
                  just say no, these companies will be forced to change their practices.

                  I do take issue with companies that advertise and accept cases in
                  states in which they are not licensed. These are the companies we
                  all see everyday posting that they "need assistance" with a case in
                  ABC City. They should say the following if they want to be close to
                  accurate: "We advertise our company on the internet as being a large
                  national expert PI agency, so now we have a client in some far away
                  state who was dumb enough to believe our bullshit facade. We need a
                  local PI willing to do the actual field work for less than half their
                  normal rate. By the way, you will have to wait 30 days or more to
                  get paid."