Re: [infoguys-list] Re: Los Angeles, CA

  • Bob Hrodey
    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 2, 2007
      dts683 wrote:
      > Bob Hrodey wrote:
      >
      >> Then you're doing it wrong. Like Sue and Rick, when I see requests
      >> for "sub-contractors" at $25-$50/hour who are required to be
      >> licensed,insured, etc. I laugh. I also believe that in such a case,
      >> your argument about WC expense, employees, etc. have no place in the
      >> equation. If I conform to your needs with regard to licensing, etc.
      >> I am the one incurring the expense of WC, insurance, admin,
      >> mileage, etc. NOT you.
      >>

      > Bob,
      >
      > I agree with everything you said, with the exception of one minor
      > point. Having just gone through an insurance audit, I can tell you
      > that most PIs do not have workers' compensation insurance. If I
      > engage the services of either an individual PI or a PI agency and
      > they do not have workers' compensation coverage, I am on the hook for
      > paying that premium. Not one of the individual PIs that I engaged to
      > do work for me on a subcontract basis had workers' compensation
      > coverage; and only two of the PI agencies did. All of them had

      IIRC, my firm was one of the ones that did, no?

      You point is well taken, just as it is, as you say, a minor point when
      taken in the context of my statement above, i.e. I was referring to
      those contractors who are looking to have their subs fully licensed and
      insured. If that's the case, my argument stands.

      Your argument is also valid in some cases and with regard to those
      contractors who don't have WC themselves, well, they better hope that
      the guy they hire at $30 an hour is playing heads up ball since
      insurance or no, they will likely find that they are still on the hook
      for injuries incurred by their uninsured sub contractor.

      --

      Enjoy,

      Bob
      Hrodey & Associates Established 1977
      email: inquiry@... or rth@...
      Illinois License 115-000783 Wisconsin 8045-063

    • Jim Parker
      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 2, 2007

        Then said:

        "Your argument is also valid in some cases and with regard to those
        contractors who don't have WC themselves, well, they better hope that
        the guy they hire at $30 an hour is playing heads up ball since
        insurance or no, they will likely find that they are still on the hook
        for injuries incurred by their uninsured sub contractor."

        That Alzheimer's is a bitch, eh?

        :o)

        >> Then you're doing it wrong. Like Sue and Rick, when I see requests
        >> for "sub-contractors" at $25-$50/hour who are required to be
        >> licensed,insured, etc. I laugh. I also believe that in such a case,
        >> your argument about WC expense, employees, etc. have no place in the
        >> equation. If I conform to your needs with regard to licensing, etc.
        >> I am the one incurring the expense of WC, insurance, admin,
        >> mileage, etc. NOT you.
        >>

        > Bob,
        >
        > I agree with everything you said, with the exception of one minor
        > point. Having just gone through an insurance audit, I can tell you
        > that most PIs do not have workers' compensation insurance. If I
        > engage the services of either an individual PI or a PI agency and
        > they do not have workers' compensation coverage, I am on the hook for
        > paying that premium. Not one of the individual PIs that I engaged to
        > do work for me on a subcontract basis had workers' compensation
        > coverage; and only two of the PI agencies did. All of them had

        IIRC, my firm was one of the ones that did, no?

        You point is well taken, just as it is, as you say, a minor point when
        taken in the context of my statement above, i.e. I was referring to
        those contractors who are looking to have their subs fully licensed and
        insured. If that's the case, my argument stands.

        Your argument is also valid in some cases and with regard to those
        contractors who don't have WC themselves, well, they better hope that
        the guy they hire at $30 an hour is playing heads up ball since
        insurance or no, they will likely find that they are still on the hook
        for injuries incurred by their uninsured sub contractor.

        > The bottom line is that the contractor is more than likely
        > left "holding the bag" to pay workers' compensation coverage on the
        > subcontractor. On the other hand, it is likely that the contractor
        > doesn't have workers' compensation coverage anyway. If the
        > contractor does happen to have workers' compensation coverage, the

        Your argument is also valid in some cases and with regard to those
        contractors who don't have WC themselves, well, they better hope that
        the guy they hire at $30 an hour is playing heads up ball since
        insurance or no, they will likely find that they are still on the hook
        for injuries incurred by their uninsured sub contractor.

        --

        Enjoy,

        Bob
        Hrodey & Associates Established 1977
        email: inquiry@... <mailto:inquiry%40hrodey.com> or rth@...
        <mailto:rth%40hrodey.com>

        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 2, 2007
          Jim Parker wrote:
          > Bob said:
          >
          > "Your argument is also valid in some cases and with regard to those
          > contractors who don't have WC themselves, well, they better hope that
          > the guy they hire at $30 an hour is playing heads up ball since
          > insurance or no, they will likely find that they are still on the hook
          > for injuries incurred by their uninsured sub contractor."
          >
          > Then said:
          >
          > "Your argument is also valid in some cases and with regard to those
          > contractors who don't have WC themselves, well, they better hope that
          > the guy they hire at $30 an hour is playing heads up ball since
          > insurance or no, they will likely find that they are still on the hook
          > for injuries incurred by their uninsured sub contractor."
          >

          > That Alzheimer's is a bitch, eh?

          Hmmm Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V is Copy & Paste, Ctrl-X/Ctrl-V is Cut & Paste.

          Think I got it now! IF only I can remember.

          OTOH, I can hide my own Easter Eggs and make new friends every day.

          --

          Enjoy,

          Bob
          Hrodey & Associates Established 1977
          email: inquiry@... or rth@...
          Illinois License 115-000783 Wisconsin 8045-063
        • dts683
          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 2, 2007
            Bob Hrodey wrote:

            > Your argument is also valid in some cases and with regard to those
            > contractors who don't have WC themselves, well, they better hope that
            > the guy they hire at $30 an hour is playing heads up ball since
            > insurance or no, they will likely find that they are still on the
            > hook for injuries incurred by their uninsured sub contractor.

            Exactly. Unfortunately, the scenario I believe will cause the biggest
            shockwave in the PI subcontracting world requires that a subcontracted
            PI get killed or sustain great bodily harm when the contractor is on
            the hook for the uninsured subcontractor's workers' compensation
            claim. If I as a contractor am on the hook for paying the premium on
            an uninsured subcontractor, it would follow that I would be on the hook
            for any claims too.

            > IIRC, my firm was one of the ones that did, no?

            Yes, you were one of the two; and you probably know who the other is
            too. During my audit I found at least three Illinois PI agencies with
            actual employees who have no workers' compensation coverage. I can
            understand a sole practitioner not having workers' compensation
            coverage, but not an agency with actual employees. If you have an
            agency with actual employees and you don't have workers' compensation
            coverage, you are gambling with not only your business, but your
            personal financial well-being. A seriously injured or dead employee
            could easily bankrupt not only your business, but you personally.

            Daniel Schroeder, Licensed Private Detective
            Metro Detective Agency, LLC
            P.O. Box 1050, DeKalb, IL 60115
            Office: (815) 787-1111
            Cellular: (815) 757-8940
            Fax: (866) 727-2051
            info@...
            http://www.metrodetectiveagency.com
          • Vicki Siedow
            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 2, 2007
              I agree with Sue and Rick, although I'm not quite as pricey as Rick. Still,
              I pay my subs well. I have raised my prices a couple of times in the last
              couple of years, and each time business has increased. I can now live more
              comfortably, and with a lot less stress, in part because I can now afford a
              better quality of subs. My clients are happier with the work, and in many
              cases their overall cost is the same or less, because I now have the
              resources to complete assignments more quickly and with greater accuracy. I
              have more successful outcomes, as well.

              I just wanted to add to Rick's comment about charitable institutions that
              many who run those institutions make very substantial salaries. Even
              charities can be profitable.

              I see in a later post that Mike says this is insurance work. He is correct
              in that insurance work generally pays less. They are always price shopping.

              Vicki Siedow
              Siedow & Associates Investigations
              & Legal Support Services
              2629 Foothill Blvd. #262
              La Crescenta, CA 91214
              Los Angeles County
              CA PI License # 22852
              800.448.6431 toll free
              818.242.0130 local
              818.688.3295 fax
              <mailto:Siedow@...> Siedow@...
              Member NCISS, IWWA

              Need economical legal help?
              Concerned about Identity Theft?

              Message 6 of 24 , Dec 2, 2007
                Vicki Siedow wrote:
                > I have raised my prices a couple of times in the last
                > couple of years, and each time business has increased.

                That is one of the true mysteries of this business that I learned quite
                early on. Like anyone else I was hesitant to bump my prices up when I
                was first getting started. I did so reluctantly, fully expecting an
                exodus - mass or otherwise - to occur. Business actually increased.
                Figured it was a fluke and bumped the rate by 20% the next time
                literally hoping to drive away some of the marginal clients who were
                penny pinchers and always seemed to expect 8 hours of work for 5 hours
                of pay. Didn't happen then either and so far as I can tell has never
                happened in my experience. Higher hourly rate (within reason, of
                course) brings in more business.

                Truly strange.

                Another brief story in re: low pay to subs that might strike a nerve
                with some others here but, nonetheless, it's something to think about.

                A long while back and for quite some time there were two investigative
                firms in my area. Me and the other guy. The other guy had been doing
                it for about 5-7 years before I started out. Like me, he also worked
                for the sheriff's police and was doing it (back then) part-time. He had
                a good load of clients as did I. He was getting time starved (I'm sure
                many of you have that problem from time to time, if not more
                frequently. It's where you have enough work to keep you busy 20 hours a
                day but you don't want to work that much... or have to.)

                At this point he asked me if I could give him a hand with some cases as
                he was severely overloaded. I didn't have a lot of time but he was a
                friend and I said I'd help him out if I could. He asked me how much I
                was charging. At that time, about 22 years ago, I think I was getting
                about $35-$40 hour. He said that he couldn't possibly pay that much as
                he was only billing $22/hr. I told him that there was no way that I'd
                sub for him for anything less than $32. He bitched and moaned and then
                said he'd pay me $30 and no more. I told him that I wouldn't do it even
                if he paid me $40/hr. He asked why not. My response was that if he's
                billing $22 and paying me $30, $32 or, even $40 an hour, he'd have to
                pad the bill to make any money since he refused to raise his rates for
                fear of losing clients. That meant that no matter how great my work
                product was, HIS clients would be looking at the reports and thinking
                "Nice work but why the hell did it take Hrodey 4 hours to do a 1½hr job.

                He simply could not believe (perhaps, RECOGNIZE is the better word) that
                if he doubled his price from $22. to, say, $40 or $45 an hour, that even
                if he lost 50% of his clients, he'd still make the same money in half
                the time. Knowing what I was charging should have also told him that
                his erstwhile clients (if any) weren't going to rush to my door in an
                effort to get a better rate.

                Realize your worth and work to live - don't live to work!

                Message 7 of 24 , Dec 2, 2007
                  Folks -

                  Let me give you my understanding of insurance the way I believe it to be.
                  Having just gotten off the telephone with an attorney to make certain I wasn't
                  losing my mind, I feel confident.

                  The majority of subbed cases go to sole-proprietors. Sole proprietors
                  cannot get W/C insurance. Even if they have E&O as well as liability coverage,
                  none of those policies will cover him/her if injured on the job. Now, whether
                  or not you the CONTRACTOR will be responsible versus the CONTRACTEE has many
                  issues to consider including direct/indirect control, who demands what hours
                  are worked, who supplies the equipment, etc., etc., etc. Bottom line, if I
                  am a contractee working for you the contractor and I get injured in a
                  vehicular accident while conducting a surveillance, I better just keep my mouth shut
                  and contact my motor vehicle ins. carrier just as I would in any other
                  accident. Same holds true for all other issues.

                  If, on the other hand, you subcontract to a company whereby the contractee
                  has employees, just by the definition of the beast, he/she has W/C coverage for
                  the employees. If not, they are not employees and they are all violating
                  the law in any of the states that require licensure.

                  Upon the advice of numerous counsel, I have been bare since the mid to late
                  '80's. Long story about a 10 mil lawsuit but when all was said and done and
                  the jury awarded me a "special verdict" my attorney advised I drop all
                  insurance. If you don't want to use my services because of same, be my guest.
                  That leaves that much more of me for my other clients. However, don't think
                  for one second that you cannot get insurance work without coverage as I am
                  handling 2 different insurance cases right now and both carriers know full well I
                  am not covered.

                  Unless one of the insurance agents come and push me in front of a moving
                  vehicle, anything that happens to me is brought about by my own actions and why
                  would I sue anyone?

                  One other issue to cover is the fact that NO insurance policy will cover
                  intentional illegal acts. So, if you think that just because I, the CONTRACTEE,
                  have E&O or Liability coverage that you, the CONTRACTOR, are protected
                  should I unlawfully obtain bank account information or commit some other invasion
                  violation or any other unscrupulous act, I still have that bridge for sale.
                  Sorry, it will fall right back in your lap since you hired me.

                  Insurance coverage is NOT what it is cracked up to be. Keep your nose clean
                  and perform your assignment to the very best of your ability and you will
                  walk away a winner. Trust me, when that frivolous lawsuit is filed and your
                  insurance company wants to make a "nuisance settlement offer" if you have any
                  pride whatsoever as well as concern for your license, you will "hold them
                  harmless" and tell them to take a hike. You will wind up handling the case
                  yourself anyway.

                  ________________________

                  818-242-9824 FAX

                  "one Nation under God"

                  a military veteran !

                  Message 8 of 24 , Dec 2, 2007
                    Sue,

                    I am reading backwards so I am playing catch up. But that sounds right to
                    me, so if you can tip me off who will hire an uninsured person. I am probably
                    going to get E & O with liability by year end, but in the mean time, I would
                    gladly take work from insurance cos who would hire me, I didn't think any
                    would so I never inquired. Obviously I would rather have it, and I agree, if I
                    am in my car and some accident occurs it is business as usual, I pay for car
                    insurance for that.

                    I will read back and see what is going on in the conversation.

                    Gladys Brierley
                    Accurate Investigations
                    PO BOX 872
                    Newton County, Mississippi
                    601-480-3181 bus
                    601-683-2094 fax
                    Bus License # 1499
                    Glad4JC@...
                    Member NAIS, ACI, IA
                    _www.freewebs.com/glad4jc_ (http://www.freewebs.com/glad4jc)
                    _www.myspace.com/mississippiinvestigator_
                    (http://www.myspace.com/mississippiinvestigator)

                    Services include but not limited to, online record searches, courier
                    services, domestic-fidelity checks, employee theft, process service, witness
                    interview, surveillance, specialized referrals for computer forensics, recovery &
                    extractions, missing children cases. Also willing to work with teams on cold
                    cases. Professional courtesy to other PI's & Attorneys . I promise to give you
                    my very best efforts and safeguard client confidentiality.

                    _PARENTS-AGAINST-PREDATORS : PARENTS AGAINST PREDATORS_
                    (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PARENTS-AGAINST-PREDATORS/?yguid=206815254)
                    _MississippiPrivateInvestigators : MISSISSIPPI PRIVATE INVESTIGATORS_
                    (http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/MississippiPrivateInvestigators/?yguid=8099974
                    )

                    _Find me on MySpace and be my friend!_
                    (http://www.myspace.com/mississippiinvestigator)

                    This e-mail message is protected by the Electronic Communications Privacy
                    Act, 18 U.S.C. §2510-2521 and is legally privileged. Unauthorized review, use
                    or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you have received this in error,
                    please reply and notify the sender (only) and delete the message. Unauthorized
                    interception of this e-mail is a violation of federal criminal law.

                    _www.sarkispi._www.s_http://www.sarkispihttp:_ (http://www.sarkispi.com/) )

                    818-242-9824 FAX

                    "one Nation under God"

                    a military veteran !

                    Message 9 of 24 , Dec 2, 2007
                      I don't see many of those being offered in Mississippi, but when I do I
                      often wonder how they think anyone can afford to work so cheap and wait so long
                      to get paid and still have a long resume and insurance, lol.

                      I am not sure I like the idea of people from all over the country
                      advertising here in my state and then trying to get me to do the work cheaply. I don't
                      mind if its a good working relationship with a person who is trying to build
                      a legitimate nation wide or several states business, I have someone I work
                      with like that and it is ok. But it does seem to be a little misleading to
                      overreach into states with big $ advertising and then offer the situation at
                      rock bottom prices to eager newbies, like me. I guess I am doing the right
                      thing by saying NO to any company that wants me to do work for so little and
                      have all their requirements and get paid in 30 days. I feel better already, lol.

[...]

                      In a message dated 12/2/2007 11:33:07 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                      administrator@... writes:

                      Bob Hrodey wrote:

                      > Then you're doing it wrong. Like Sue and Rick, when I see requests
                      > for "sub-contractors" at $25-$50/hour who are required to be
                      > licensed,insured, etc. I laugh. I also believe that in such a case,
                      > your argument about WC expense, employees, etc. have no place in the
                      > equation. If I conform to your needs with regard to licensing, etc.
                      > I am the one incurring the expense of WC, insurance, admin,
                      > mileage, etc. NOT you.

                      Bob,

                      I agree with everything you said, with the exception of one minor
                      point. Having just gone through an insurance audit, I can tell you
                      that most PIs do not have workers' compensation insurance. If I
                      engage the services of either an individual PI or a PI agency and
                      they do not have workers' compensation coverage, I am on the hook for
                      paying that premium. Not one of the individual PIs that I engaged to
                      do work for me on a subcontract basis had workers' compensation
                      coverage; and only two of the PI agencies did. All of them had
                      general liability coverage, but that is probably only because the
                      state requires it. It doesn't shock me that the individual PIs
                      lacked workers' compensation coverage, but you would be surprised how
                      many PI agencies, even PI agencies with actual employees, lack that
                      coverage.

                      The bottom line is that the contractor is more than likely
                      left "holding the bag" to pay workers' compensation coverage on the
                      subcontractor. On the other hand, it is likely that the contractor
                      doesn't have workers' compensation coverage anyway. If the
                      contractor does happen to have workers' compensation coverage, the
                      rate is probably around 4% at the most. The contractor is still
                      going to get away without having to pay matching social security and
                      medicare (6.2% and 1.45% respectively) along with federal and state
                      unemployment taxes (varies) and general liability insurance (around
                      4%).

                      I don't necessarily take issue with people offering assignments at
                      ridiculously low rates to other PIs. We all have the capacity to
                      say "NO" and some of us should exercise it more. It feels good to
                      say "NO" to a case or client; and all of us should "just say no" to
                      these companies wanting to pay ridiculously low rates. If we all
                      just say no, these companies will be forced to change their practices.

                      I do take issue with companies that advertise and accept cases in
                      states in which they are not licensed. These are the companies we
                      all see everyday posting that they "need assistance" with a case in
                      ABC City. They should say the following if they want to be close to
                      accurate: "We advertise our company on the internet as being a large
                      national expert PI agency, so now we have a client in some far away
                      state who was dumb enough to believe our bullshit facade. We need a
                      local PI willing to do the actual field work for less than half their
                      normal rate. By the way, you will have to wait 30 days or more to
                      get paid."