Re: Rates, etc...

  • Ricky Gurley
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2007
      --- In infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com, "kekeholm" <Kekeholm@...> wrote:

      > > Kirsti, are you saying that posts in regards to business practices
      > as they would relate to the P.I. Industry should be prohibited here?
      > What about posts that make judgment as to what business practices in
      > the P.I. Industry should be discussed and should not be discussed on
      > this list, should they be prohibited also?
      >
      > Rick, what I said is just that - I do not feel judgment, much less
      any
      > discussion, should be passed on our fellow colleagues who are
      offering
      > work at a rate(s) you or others may deem to be sub-par to finding a
      > good investigator. There are plenty of good investigators who are
      > willing to work for rates that may seem undermining to you and
      others.
      > However, many of us have work together over the years and have
      > performed work for FREE and/or at "low-ball" rates to help each
      other
      > out, myself included. I feel that any condemnation, comments, etc..
      > regarding a colleague's fee structure as it pertains to seeking a
      > "good" investigator is highly unprofessional, esp on an open list!
      >
      > To me, it's real simple. If a colleague offers work and if
      interested,
      > contact them! Otherwise, it is none of our business and shouldn't
      > warrant any reply or discussion!!

      I'll imagine many things are pretty simple to you, Kirsti...

      However, for the topic at hand, I think you miss the point entirely,
      although the point is in itself; pretty simple....

      The point here is NOT that those that want to volunteer their time,
      or reduce their rates as a courtesy to other P.I.s are not good
      P.I.s. The point here is that offering more money to subcontractors
      makes the subcontract work more appealing to a larger group of
      people...

      The point here is also the concept of narrowing your options by
      reducing your pay rate to your subcontractors. It is a fact that the
      lower the pay rate that is offered in ANY industry, the less
      appealing that industry becomes. Don't believe it? Well how do you
      feel about washing dishes for minimum wage? And, TYPICALLY SPEAKING
      what kind of person do you think washes dishes at minimum wage when
      they are over the age of 30? Now ask yourself how appealing that same
      dish washing job would be at $50.00/Hr., and if that would wage
      increase the applicant pool, and even the quality of the applicants?
      TYPICALLY SPEAKING, what kind of P.I. would accept work for the same
      pay that an unskilled, union laborer would get paid? Lets not kid
      ourselves here, Kirsti (in other words come out into the REAL world),
      we are not talking about P.I.s that are being kind and reducing their
      rates or even working for free to help out a fellow P.I., we are
      talking about P.I.s that are desperate enough that they HAVE to
      settle for $30.00/Hr., whch begs the question, if they are in fact
      that dseperate, are they in fact GOOD QUALITY Investigators? You can
      throw a ton of symantics into this post if you want Kirsti, but you
      and everyone else here knows EXACTLY what I am referring to when I
      use the term "a P.I. desperate enough to HAVE to work for $30.00/Hr.".

      What's more, Mr. Hakimi is apparently discovering this himself, based
      on an earlier post by him in which he states that he is having a hard
      time getting GOOD QUALITY P.I.s in Southern California to work for
      him for $30.00/Hr. So, the proof is in the pudding, Kirsti.

      Let me make a suggestion to you, why don't you try to contribute
      something useful to the thread? If all you want to do, and have the
      time to do is just argue, perhaps you should LOWER your rates......

      Rick.

      "You'll Find No White Flags Here"

      Phone: (888) 571-0958
      Fax: (877) 795-9800
      Cell: (573) 529-0808

      Email
      RMRI-Inc@...

      Webpage
      http://www.rmriinc.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 2, 2007
        In a message dated 12/1/2007 2:58:22 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
        Kekeholm@... writes:

        Entirely Inappropriate to be discussing!

        Kirsti -

        I fully agree. Your post was inappropriate. No one should ever go too far
        below the prevailing rates in their community. I can assure you that
        contrary to what Mr. Hakimi said, I personally know NO investigators that have been
        in the business for more than 10 years in this area who charge less than $100
        per hour routinely. That does not mean they don't do pro-bono and that does
        not mean that do not give courtesy discounts when appropriate.

        The key word is "prevailing" and, after all, this is Los Angeles. There is
        a very, very good reason why Mr. Hakimi cannot find quality, reliable
        investigators. You cannot make a million off of the backs of others. You have to
        roll up your own sleeves and get in the mix.

        818-242-9824 FAX

        "one Nation under God"

        a military veteran !