Re: Rates, etc...

  • Ricky Gurley
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2007
      --- In infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com, "kekeholm" <Kekeholm@...> wrote:

      > I also get disturbed when I read about sub-contractor rates, but for a
      > different reason!!
      >
      > If a company is seeking assistance for sub-work, it is entirely up to
      > the company and contract investigator to negotiate their fees. I don't
      > feel that any of us have any business passing judgment on what rates a
      > fellow colleague charges or sub-contractor accepts - completely out of
      > line!

      I have looked and looked at this thread.. And for the life of me I can
      not see anyone's name mentioned in regards to what they charge for
      accepting subcontracted work and how this indicates the quality of
      their work.

      What I DO see here are ideas, concepts, opinions, and/or thoughts as to
      what fees might attract a larger amount of GOOD QUALITY Investigators
      for subcontract work; for which I think ARE in fact not only
      appropriate, but also useful....

      Kirsti, are you saying that posts in regards to business practices as
      they would relate to the P.I. Industry should be prohibited here? What
      about posts that make judgment as to what business practices in the
      P.I. Industry should be discussed and should not be discussed on this
      list, should they be prohibited also?

      Rick.

      "You'll Find No White Flags Here"

      Phone: (888) 571-0958
      Fax: (877) 795-9800
      Cell: (573) 529-0808

      Email
      RMRI-Inc@...

      Webpage
      http://www.rmriinc.com
    • kekeholm
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2007
        > Kirsti, are you saying that posts in regards to business practices
        as they would relate to the P.I. Industry should be prohibited here?
        What about posts that make judgment as to what business practices in
        the P.I. Industry should be discussed and should not be discussed on
        this list, should they be prohibited also?

        Rick, what I said is just that - I do not feel judgment, much less any
        discussion, should be passed on our fellow colleagues who are offering
        work at a rate(s) you or others may deem to be sub-par to finding a
        good investigator. There are plenty of good investigators who are
        willing to work for rates that may seem undermining to you and others.
        However, many of us have work together over the years and have
        performed work for FREE and/or at "low-ball" rates to help each other
        out, myself included. I feel that any condemnation, comments, etc..
        regarding a colleague's fee structure as it pertains to seeking a
        "good" investigator is highly unprofessional, esp on an open list!

        To me, it's real simple. If a colleague offers work and if interested,
        contact them! Otherwise, it is none of our business and shouldn't
        warrant any reply or discussion!!

        My .02
        K. Ekeholm, LPI
        Ekeholm and Associates, LLC
        P.O. Box 4561, Breckenridge, CO 80424
        Phone: (877) 219-0732
        www.ScreenSafeCheck.com
        www.ekeholm.com
        Georgia Private Detective Agency Lic # PDC001919
      • Ricky Gurley
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 1, 2007
          --- In infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com, "kekeholm" <Kekeholm@...> wrote:

          > > Kirsti, are you saying that posts in regards to business practices
          > as they would relate to the P.I. Industry should be prohibited here?
          > What about posts that make judgment as to what business practices in
          > the P.I. Industry should be discussed and should not be discussed on
          > this list, should they be prohibited also?
          >
          > Rick, what I said is just that - I do not feel judgment, much less
          any
          > discussion, should be passed on our fellow colleagues who are
          offering
          > work at a rate(s) you or others may deem to be sub-par to finding a
          > good investigator. There are plenty of good investigators who are
          > willing to work for rates that may seem undermining to you and
          others.
          > However, many of us have work together over the years and have
          > performed work for FREE and/or at "low-ball" rates to help each
          other
          > out, myself included. I feel that any condemnation, comments, etc..
          > regarding a colleague's fee structure as it pertains to seeking a
          > "good" investigator is highly unprofessional, esp on an open list!
          >
          > To me, it's real simple. If a colleague offers work and if
          interested,
          > contact them! Otherwise, it is none of our business and shouldn't
          > warrant any reply or discussion!!

          I'll imagine many things are pretty simple to you, Kirsti...

          However, for the topic at hand, I think you miss the point entirely,
          although the point is in itself; pretty simple....

          The point here is NOT that those that want to volunteer their time,
          or reduce their rates as a courtesy to other P.I.s are not good
          P.I.s. The point here is that offering more money to subcontractors
          makes the subcontract work more appealing to a larger group of
          people...

          The point here is also the concept of narrowing your options by
          reducing your pay rate to your subcontractors. It is a fact that the
          lower the pay rate that is offered in ANY industry, the less
          appealing that industry becomes. Don't believe it? Well how do you
          feel about washing dishes for minimum wage? And, TYPICALLY SPEAKING
          what kind of person do you think washes dishes at minimum wage when
          they are over the age of 30? Now ask yourself how appealing that same
          dish washing job would be at $50.00/Hr., and if that would wage
          increase the applicant pool, and even the quality of the applicants?
          TYPICALLY SPEAKING, what kind of P.I. would accept work for the same
          pay that an unskilled, union laborer would get paid? Lets not kid
          ourselves here, Kirsti (in other words come out into the REAL world),
          we are not talking about P.I.s that are being kind and reducing their
          rates or even working for free to help out a fellow P.I., we are
          talking about P.I.s that are desperate enough that they HAVE to
          settle for $30.00/Hr., whch begs the question, if they are in fact
          that dseperate, are they in fact GOOD QUALITY Investigators? You can
          throw a ton of symantics into this post if you want Kirsti, but you
          and everyone else here knows EXACTLY what I am referring to when I
          use the term "a P.I. desperate enough to HAVE to work for $30.00/Hr.".

          What's more, Mr. Hakimi is apparently discovering this himself, based
          on an earlier post by him in which he states that he is having a hard
          time getting GOOD QUALITY P.I.s in Southern California to work for
          him for $30.00/Hr. So, the proof is in the pudding, Kirsti.

          Let me make a suggestion to you, why don't you try to contribute
          something useful to the thread? If all you want to do, and have the
          time to do is just argue, perhaps you should LOWER your rates......

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 2, 2007
            In a message dated 12/1/2007 2:58:22 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
            Kekeholm@... writes:

            Entirely Inappropriate to be discussing!

            Kirsti -

            I fully agree. Your post was inappropriate. No one should ever go too far
            below the prevailing rates in their community. I can assure you that
            contrary to what Mr. Hakimi said, I personally know NO investigators that have been
            in the business for more than 10 years in this area who charge less than $100
            per hour routinely. That does not mean they don't do pro-bono and that does
            not mean that do not give courtesy discounts when appropriate.

            The key word is "prevailing" and, after all, this is Los Angeles. There is
            a very, very good reason why Mr. Hakimi cannot find quality, reliable
            investigators. You cannot make a million off of the backs of others. You have to
            roll up your own sleeves and get in the mix.

            818-242-9824 FAX

            "one Nation under God"

            a military veteran !