Rates, etc...

  • kekeholm
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2007
      I also get disturbed when I read about sub-contractor rates, but for a
      different reason!!

      If a company is seeking assistance for sub-work, it is entirely up to
      the company and contract investigator to negotiate their fees. I don't
      feel that any of us have any business passing judgment on what rates a
      fellow colleague charges or sub-contractor accepts - completely out of
      line!

      Whatever rate someone wants to work for, or offer work for, is
      entirely up to them, considering their financial circumstances, work
      experience, and any number of factors that are completely irrelevant
      to any us.

      Entirely Inappropriate to be discussing!

      My .02

      K. Ekeholm, LPI
      Ekeholm and Associates, LLC
      P.O. Box 4561, Breckenridge, CO 80424
      Phone: (877) 219-0732
      www.ScreenSafeCheck.com
      www.ekeholm.com
      Georgia Private Detective Agency Lic # PDC001919
    • Ricky Gurley
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2007
        --- In infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com, "kekeholm" <Kekeholm@...> wrote:

        > I also get disturbed when I read about sub-contractor rates, but for a
        > different reason!!
        >
        > If a company is seeking assistance for sub-work, it is entirely up to
        > the company and contract investigator to negotiate their fees. I don't
        > feel that any of us have any business passing judgment on what rates a
        > fellow colleague charges or sub-contractor accepts - completely out of
        > line!

        I have looked and looked at this thread.. And for the life of me I can
        not see anyone's name mentioned in regards to what they charge for
        accepting subcontracted work and how this indicates the quality of
        their work.

        What I DO see here are ideas, concepts, opinions, and/or thoughts as to
        what fees might attract a larger amount of GOOD QUALITY Investigators
        for subcontract work; for which I think ARE in fact not only
        appropriate, but also useful....

        Kirsti, are you saying that posts in regards to business practices as
        they would relate to the P.I. Industry should be prohibited here? What
        about posts that make judgment as to what business practices in the
        P.I. Industry should be discussed and should not be discussed on this
        list, should they be prohibited also?

        Rick.

        "You'll Find No White Flags Here"

        Phone: (888) 571-0958
        Fax: (877) 795-9800
        Cell: (573) 529-0808

        Email
        RMRI-Inc@...

        Webpage
        http://www.rmriinc.com
      • kekeholm
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 1, 2007
          > Kirsti, are you saying that posts in regards to business practices
          as they would relate to the P.I. Industry should be prohibited here?
          What about posts that make judgment as to what business practices in
          the P.I. Industry should be discussed and should not be discussed on
          this list, should they be prohibited also?

          Rick, what I said is just that - I do not feel judgment, much less any
          discussion, should be passed on our fellow colleagues who are offering
          work at a rate(s) you or others may deem to be sub-par to finding a
          good investigator. There are plenty of good investigators who are
          willing to work for rates that may seem undermining to you and others.
          However, many of us have work together over the years and have
          performed work for FREE and/or at "low-ball" rates to help each other
          out, myself included. I feel that any condemnation, comments, etc..
          regarding a colleague's fee structure as it pertains to seeking a
          "good" investigator is highly unprofessional, esp on an open list!

          To me, it's real simple. If a colleague offers work and if interested,
          contact them! Otherwise, it is none of our business and shouldn't
          warrant any reply or discussion!!

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 1, 2007
            --- In infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com, "kekeholm" <Kekeholm@...> wrote:

            > > Kirsti, are you saying that posts in regards to business practices
            > as they would relate to the P.I. Industry should be prohibited here?
            > What about posts that make judgment as to what business practices in
            > the P.I. Industry should be discussed and should not be discussed on
            > this list, should they be prohibited also?
            >
            > Rick, what I said is just that - I do not feel judgment, much less
            any
            > discussion, should be passed on our fellow colleagues who are
            offering
            > work at a rate(s) you or others may deem to be sub-par to finding a
            > good investigator. There are plenty of good investigators who are
            > willing to work for rates that may seem undermining to you and
            others.
            > However, many of us have work together over the years and have
            > performed work for FREE and/or at "low-ball" rates to help each
            other
            > out, myself included. I feel that any condemnation, comments, etc..
            > regarding a colleague's fee structure as it pertains to seeking a
            > "good" investigator is highly unprofessional, esp on an open list!
            >
            > To me, it's real simple. If a colleague offers work and if
            interested,
            > contact them! Otherwise, it is none of our business and shouldn't
            > warrant any reply or discussion!!

            I'll imagine many things are pretty simple to you, Kirsti...

            However, for the topic at hand, I think you miss the point entirely,
            although the point is in itself; pretty simple....

            The point here is NOT that those that want to volunteer their time,
            or reduce their rates as a courtesy to other P.I.s are not good
            P.I.s. The point here is that offering more money to subcontractors
            makes the subcontract work more appealing to a larger group of
            people...

            The point here is also the concept of narrowing your options by
            reducing your pay rate to your subcontractors. It is a fact that the
            lower the pay rate that is offered in ANY industry, the less
            appealing that industry becomes. Don't believe it? Well how do you
            feel about washing dishes for minimum wage? And, TYPICALLY SPEAKING
            what kind of person do you think washes dishes at minimum wage when
            they are over the age of 30? Now ask yourself how appealing that same
            dish washing job would be at $50.00/Hr., and if that would wage
            increase the applicant pool, and even the quality of the applicants?
            TYPICALLY SPEAKING, what kind of P.I. would accept work for the same
            pay that an unskilled, union laborer would get paid? Lets not kid
            ourselves here, Kirsti (in other words come out into the REAL world),
            we are not talking about P.I.s that are being kind and reducing their
            rates or even working for free to help out a fellow P.I., we are
            talking about P.I.s that are desperate enough that they HAVE to
            settle for $30.00/Hr., whch begs the question, if they are in fact
            that dseperate, are they in fact GOOD QUALITY Investigators? You can
            throw a ton of symantics into this post if you want Kirsti, but you
            and everyone else here knows EXACTLY what I am referring to when I
            use the term "a P.I. desperate enough to HAVE to work for $30.00/Hr.".

            What's more, Mr. Hakimi is apparently discovering this himself, based
            on an earlier post by him in which he states that he is having a hard
            time getting GOOD QUALITY P.I.s in Southern California to work for
            him for $30.00/Hr. So, the proof is in the pudding, Kirsti.

            Let me make a suggestion to you, why don't you try to contribute
            something useful to the thread? If all you want to do, and have the
            time to do is just argue, perhaps you should LOWER your rates......

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 2, 2007
              In a message dated 12/1/2007 2:58:22 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
              Kekeholm@... writes:

              Entirely Inappropriate to be discussing!

              Kirsti -

              I fully agree. Your post was inappropriate. No one should ever go too far
              below the prevailing rates in their community. I can assure you that
              contrary to what Mr. Hakimi said, I personally know NO investigators that have been
              in the business for more than 10 years in this area who charge less than $100
              per hour routinely. That does not mean they don't do pro-bono and that does
              not mean that do not give courtesy discounts when appropriate.

              The key word is "prevailing" and, after all, this is Los Angeles. There is
              a very, very good reason why Mr. Hakimi cannot find quality, reliable
              investigators. You cannot make a million off of the backs of others. You have to
              roll up your own sleeves and get in the mix.

              818-242-9824 FAX

              "one Nation under God"

              a military veteran !