blinded by anesthesia?

  • Jurydoctor@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 20, 2007
      First of all, I would NEVER go to a "teaching hospital" for something as what
      I consider a dangerous type of surgery, that being anything to do with the
      spinal chord.

      Second of all, I don't believe it is very untypical that a surgery lasts more
      than what a doctor estimates because until they get in there, who knows what
      they will find or have to do.

      If the doctor is in charge of monitoring the anesthesiologists and their
      protocol, then I would have to blame him in part. If not, I would most of the
      blame on the anesthesiologists and part blame on the patient for having it done
      there in the first place.

      I would like to know what the protocol is for a surgery of this length of
      time in that generally, is there only one anesthesiologist that handles the
      entire procedure as I am assuming that it was the same physican and they did not
      change doctors in mid-stream to share in the time span.

      It is very scary to think that you can have different, unexperienced
      anesthesiologists working on you while you are out during a procedure and now know
      what they are doing. Typically, unless you have a doctor that really screws up,
      your life while under anesthesia, rests in the hands of the anesthologist-they
      are the ones that are really in control of your life.

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 20, 2007
        Amy -

        I cannot find in favor of anyone without more details.

        How many levels did they operate on? My back surgery lasted over 20 hours
        although it was estimated to be 4 to 6. Things happen.

        What was her mean BP? The anesthesiologist, by rule of thumb, should try to
        keep the BP around 70. What do the records show it was at?

        How was her head positioned? Did they use the foam pillow with the eye
        cutouts?

        Since I haven't been in an OR on the other end of the scalpel in a dog's
        age, I just spoke to 3 different O.R. nurse friends. Each of them said the same
        thing covering policy for Glendale Adventist Medical Center, Glendale
        Memorial Hospital and Verdugo Hills Medical Center and none of them conduct routine
        blood gas analysis during elective back surgery regardless of how long it
        takes unless a special problem arises such as dysrhythmia. This is probably
        just for training purposes.

        This is an elective surgery in a training facility. I'm certain there would
        always have been an M.D. in the room along with ancillary staff and they
        would be informed enough to know if something was going wrong. At least one
        would hope so.

        The only thing that truly needs to be tracked during such a surgery is the
        blood loss.

        Do you happen to know the answers to the questions?

        Thanks,