Re: [infoguys-list] Legal Question: Landlord tenant dispute, specifically lea...

  • Slipinn@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 5 8:02 AM
      Anyone can bring a case at law, but whether you can win or not is a
      different question Jim. The bad aspect of your case, is nothing is in writing. It may
      be a he said-she said case unless you have independent witness''s to your

      I am not sure what State you are in but you may want to look up the
      Landlord- Tenant act in your State to see if it address's this issue.

      I know in Florida, that if a Landlord intends on keeping your security
      deposit they must send a registered letter within ten days. If they fail to do
      that, they often loose the case.

      None of this is considered to be legal advise and always consult a Lawrer
      for questions of law.

      Best regards,

      Chuck Chambers
      Author of "The Private Investigators Handbook"
      Florida Association of Private Investigators
      Charter member-FAPI
      West Area Director-FAPI
      2007 outstanding service award-FAPI
      Past member of- WAD, NALI,FALI,NAIS,ASIS,CII,NCISS
      Florida Lic. A-0001959

      Chambers Investigations
      606 49th st w
      Bradenton Florida 34209
      _www.Chambersagency.com_ (http://www.chambersagency.com/)

      In a message dated 11/5/2007 10:28:57 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      xrochester@... writes:

      First of all, I apologize if this is not the appropriate forum in which to
      post this question. If
      so, then please just disregard and/or please point me in the right

      Here's my question:

      My girlfriend recently had to relocate to another city and break her lease
      in the process.
      Her landlord gave her a verbal OK to do this, with the caveat that she may
      be liable to pay
      the rent until such time as the unit was re-rented, as specified in the

      However, the landlord also agreed to allow us to essentially re-rent the
      unit. He indicated
      that he was happy to do this since it would save the cost of a real estate
      agent to re-rent
      the unit, as the cost for this service is typically one month's rent. The
      landlord would of
      course have to approve any new renter we found based on their employment
      references, etc.

      As a result, and at some time and expense to us, we took gorgeous
      professional pictures
      of the unit, built a Web page to advertise it, and placed ads in the local
      newspaper (as well
      as Craigslist and other places), and showed it to prospective tenants.

      To make a long story short, we found numerous qualified tenants based on the
      strength of
      our advertising efforts and he signed a lease with a new tenant with no
      lapse in rent.

      But here's my problem: he kept her $1,500 security deposit. We were led down
      the path of
      believing that we would avoid any costs by renting it ourselves. He agreed
      to allow us to
      do that although we didn't get it in writing. By not telling us that he was
      going to keep the
      security, and willingly accepting all the work we did to re-rent the unit, I
      feel this
      amounted to being unjustly enriched. In addition, since he agreed to let us
      out of the lease
      if we re-rented it, he shouldn't have kept our security.

      Do you agree? Do we have a case in attempting to recover the security