RE: [infoguys-list] Legal Question: Landlord tenant dispute, specifically lease details.

  • Jim Parker
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 5, 2007

      Verbal agreements can't generally be used to override written agreements.
      When two conflicting agreements exist, one oral and one written, the written
      one almost always prevails.

      Your security deposit is a different matter though, and your state may have
      statutory rules as to how and when her deposit should be returned, depending
      on reasonable deductions for damages (excluding normal wear and tear) or

      Did she do a "walk-through" before she initially took possession of the
      property? Did she take pictures then and list any defects that existed at
      the time?

      she obviously has pictures now, and although she might not have anything to
      compare them to (if she didn't do the initial walk-through) she should be
      able to easily demonstrate that the property was not significantly damaged
      during her tenancy and that the property was left in "rentable" condition.

      By the sounds of it, she probably has a better-than-average case, as it
      would be difficult for the landlord to demonstrate any financial loss that
      her security deposit would be required to cover.

      Then again, if her lease explicitly states that early termination will
      result in loss of her security deposit, then she's probably out of luck,
      regardless of what verbal agreement she reached with the landlord

      Axis Investigative Services, Inc.
      Florida License #: A-2000163