Re: [infoguys-list] Quick Question - Part 2

    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 6, 2007
      In a message dated 10/6/2007 9:55:59 PM Pacific Standard Time,
      rmriinc@... writes:

      I guess the more specific question here would be, what would
      you find acceptable to be billed for and what would you not find acceptable
      to be billed for from your sub-contractors?

      Rick.

      Rick -

      The answer is simple - I expect to pay the subcontractor what his hourly
      rates are. You don't ask a professional for a discount although many will
      gladly tell you that they are giving you one if they offer courtesy discounts. If
      the sub's hourly is higher than mine, I explain to the client, "That's life
      in the big city". If the client won't pay the extra, the work doesn't get
      done !!

      Sincerely,

      Glendale, CA 91207

      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 6, 2007
        In a message dated 10/6/2007 10:06:29 PM Pacific Standard Time,
        detect@... writes:

        Simply put, if a subby only wants to bill us for his time on the job and the
        airfare, then that is his business. We may still want to bill the client as
        if we were doing the job.

        I've had both criminal and civil defense clients who did the same thing.
        That's a very slippery slope.

        You might find someday that "sub fees" are considered "outside services"
        which are "out of pocket expenses" and cannot be padded. Do not confuse that
        though with your local operatives. That's a different issue.

        Trust me when I say that I have had quite a few clients who have learned the
        hard way. You might want to consult with an attorney who specializes in
        "contract law".

        Sincerely,

        Glendale, CA 91207

      • INVESTIGATORS AUSTRALIA
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 7, 2007
          Sue,

          In essence, I agree with you.

          To clarify, if I have an agent who would use the same resources as ours
          (i.e. same travelling times, same expenses) but charges us a lesser rate
          than our own or not at all for say, waiting at the airport or travelling)
          then we would still charge the client our usual rate. This is our fee to the
          client for completing "X" amount of hours worked as per the client contract.

          We would NOT manufacture extra hours if the agent clearly did NOT work the
          hours- that is a slippery slope.

          Kind Regards,

          David Chambers

          MD

          Investigators (Australia) Pty Ltd.
          387, King William Street,
          Adelaide, SA 5000

          Australia
          Phone: +61 (0)8 8212 4629 or Direct: +61 (0)8 8212 4231
          Mobile: +61 (0) 415 807 484 Fax: +61 (0)8 8211 7861
          Email: detect@...

          www.investigatorsoz.com.au
          Established 1969
          Investigations, Defence, Tracing, Statements, Process serving, Locus
          reports, Surveillance and Electronic counter-surveillance.

          Members of W.A.P.I. World Association of Professional Investigators.
          Licenced in South Australia.

          We cover Australia and New Zealand and have agents in most other countries
          including Asia and Europe.

          This electronic message may contain information which may be privileged or
          confidential in nature.

          Any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly
          prohibited. If you have received this message in error or are not the
          intended recipient, please notify the sender and delete the file from your
          system.

          detect@... writes:

          Simply put, if a subby only wants to bill us for his time on the job and
          the
          airfare, then that is his business. We may still want to bill the client as
          if we were doing the job.

          I've had both criminal and civil defense clients who did the same thing.
          That's a very slippery slope.

          You might find someday that "sub fees" are considered "outside services"
          which are "out of pocket expenses" and cannot be padded. Do not confuse
          that
          though with your local operatives. That's a different issue.

          Trust me when I say that I have had quite a few clients who have learned
          the
          hard way. You might want to consult with an attorney who specializes in
          "contract law".

          Sincerely,

          Glendale, CA 91207

          To unsubscribe, send a message to <a
          cribe@yahoogroups.com</a><br/>
          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Bob Hrodey
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 7, 2007
            Jim Parker wrote:
            > And the sub-contractor, as Bob noted, may have no hesitation in telling you
            > "good luck" and hanging up the phone. If you have to go out of your area or
            > perhaps out of state to find someone who can do the work you need done, it
            > tends to indicate there isn't one on every street corner, so your options
            > are limited. Someone who commands a reasonable fee and keeps busy isn't
            > likely to bend to the whims of someone who wants to hire him.
            There's the "Two outta three Rule" to consider as well. I alluded to it in my earlier post but in most cases the subcontractor does have the upper hand, just as we all do when we're negotiating with clients.

            Maybe it's more a principle than a rule but... The rule, simply, is this:

            Price, Quality, Speed. Pick two, because that's all you get!

            If somebody tells you they'll give you all three you're in that "Sounds too good to be true" zone. Run!

            The primary consideration I have when looking for assistance is competency. That said, I then look for someone who can perform in the time frame required. Then comes price.

            I don't expect, nor will I provide service TO, someone who demands competency, drop it right now urgency, AND a low price. Giving up MY "free time" or shuffling client needs to accommodate IS going to cost you. And I expect that when dealing with others.

            Enjoy,

            Bob

            Hrodey & Associates Established 1977
            email: inquiry@... or rth@...
            Illinois License 115-000783 Wisconsin 8045-063