Criminal Records Data Source Question

  • Patrick Baird
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 5, 2007
      Criminal Records Data Source

      What database is the best to run for Criminal Records?

      Example, I have ran a report thru an online data source (comprehensive report) and they report the person does not have any criminal records. Upon further review I have found a very extensive rap sheet and the subject is currently in prison. When I asked this data source about this error, their excuse was that it depended on the permissible purpose I used prior to requesting the report.

      I have been using their comprehensive report for years and thought it was more accurate - please advise.

      Thank you,

      Patrick Baird, TPLI
      Private Investigator - Process Server - Notary
      817-579-0083 Phone
      817-579-5301 Fax
      1-866-440-6110 Cellular
      U.S. & International Telephone Investigations
      http://www.FindByPhone.com/
      http://blog.a1peoplesearch.com/

      Proud Member of the following Professional Associations;
      NCISS, NAIS, NTPIA, TALI, CALI, FALI, PICA, ACA, NAPPS, TPSA

      CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE:
      This e-mail contains confidential information and is intended solely for the use of the individual named on this transmission. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail please destroy this message immediately.

    • Lists
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 5, 2007
        Now you've touched a subject near and dear to my heart.
        Every state is different in how they release what records..let's take my
        state for example for the purpose of this discussion.
        Texas has 254 counties. Some counties in deep east Texas and far west Texas
        don't even have computers in the courthouse, anywhere. You have to travel
        there and open up those 200 lbs books that are 4 feet long and manually look
        through those records....still. Texas doesn't consider any form of
        probation as a conviction unless the person got violated. So, those arrests
        don't show up generally.
        Misdemeanors sometimes don't show up because the conviction fingerprint card
        that is supposed to be sent to the state verifying conviction is done so
        poorly, the state can't classify the prints and therefore they don't enter
        the conviction.
        There are a myriad of reasons why a national database wouldn't have an
        arrest or even a conviction. That is why I always tell me clients, "look,
        these indices are good pointers, they can be accurate and they can be
        completely inaccurate. If you really want to be sure, we have to check
        those records by hand.

        Shoe leather...still the best method for some things.
        Some of the counties, the more populated ones, usually have a good process
        to handle the data needed to make sure that a conviction goes into the
        records in Austin and gets included on any computerized check. That only
        covers about ten counties though.....you can see the issues.
        Just one explanation.
        Brian K. Ingram, Owner
        Consulting Investigation Services
        Tx. P.I. License: A-08429
        Forensic Data Recovery, Email Tracing ,Internet Investigations, Catastrophic
        Event Investigations
        www.cispi.net <http://www.cispi.net/>
        (972) 937-3938

        _____

        http://www.FindByPh <http://www.FindByPhone.com/> one.com/
        http://blog. <http://blog.a1peoplesearch.com/> a1peoplesearch.com/

        Proud Member of the following Professional Associations;
        NCISS, NAIS, NTPIA, TALI, CALI, FALI, PICA, ACA, NAPPS, TPSA

        CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE:
        This e-mail contains confidential information and is intended solely for the
        use of the individual named on this transmission. If you are not the
        intended recipient, you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing
        strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail
        please destroy this message immediately.

      • George Rodriguez
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 5, 2007
          As most of you know and have experienced, database information is NEVER 100% accurate. I, as a former LEO and owner/operator of two pre employment/tenant screening companies, can attest to that fact. Database info should never be taken as the de facto answer for our criminal record locates. I have first hand seen the inaccuracies of database criminal records. In order to be completely accurate in a criminal records locate, one would have to do a manual or hand search of each and every county criminal records division. Unfortunately, this is an economically unfeasible process. I would caution anyone utilizing a criminal records database to verify any information received from a criminal record database. Granted, there are some fairly decent ones out there, I just want to share my rambling thoughts on the subject.

          I would gladly discuss this with anyone off list, as I don't want to waste everyone's work time by reading a constant barrage of emails.

          Everyone have a great weekend!

          George Rodriguez
          Clear Source Research, LLC
          Webb City, MO 64870
          866-596-5627 Phone
          866-553-2888 Phone
          213-232-3711 Fax

        • Vicki Siedow
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 5, 2007
            I always go right to the source. Even when accessing the court sites you
            don't get it all, no matter what they tell you. Do a hand search if at all
            possible, and always for employment purposes. If you want the court
            websites try this:

            http://www.ncsconline.org/D_KIS/info_court_web_sites.html

            Vicki Siedow
            Siedow & Associates Investigations