RE: [infoguys-list] Is recording conversation from a police scanner illegal ?

  • Vicki Siedow
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 26, 2007
      I believe she said that they were in two different apartments in the same
      complex or building. I sure wouldn't want to live that near my ex. She
      needs an attorney and a moving van.

      "My daughter and her husband and the kids live in the
      same apartment building as her ex husband and his wife."

      Was the scanner altered in any way? Did they overhear the conversation
      accidentally, or were they trying to tune them in? I think since they
      specifically recorded it they do have a problem, but I'd have done the same
      thing if it was my kid.

      Vicki Siedow
      Siedow & Associates Investigations
      & Legal Support Services
      2629 Foothill Blvd. #262
      La Crescenta, CA 91214
      Los Angeles County
      CA PI License # 22852
      800.448.6431 toll free
      818.242.0130 local
      818.688.3295 fax
      <mailto:Siedow@...> Siedow@...
      Member NCISS, IWWA

      Need economical legal help?
      Concerned about Identity Theft?

      From: infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com <mailto:infoguys-list%40yahoogroups.com>
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 26, 2007
        <<< I believe she said that they were in two different apartments in the
        same complex or building. >>>

        You're right, Vicki; I missed that part when I first glanced over it.

        Anyhooo... under Michigan law, your daughter's husband committed the felony
        crime of willful eavesdropping. He has also committed the further felony
        crime of divulging the illegally obtained conversations to your daughter.
        If the ex's wife is smart enough to pursue it, your daughter's husband AND
        your daughter could be facing serious criminal charges and extensive civil
        liabilities including injunctive relieve and monetary damages (including
        punitive).

        However, Michigan law does not prohibit the admissibility of evidence
        obtained in such a manner.

        That's why the police will not act on the taped conversations, but the judge
        has allowed them as evidence.

        It's also illegal to manufacture a scanner that allows the monitoring of
        cordless phone frequencies or is easily modified to do so, but the liability
        on that falls on the seller, not the buyer. If, however, your daughter's
        husband modified the scanner himself so he could monitor a cordless phone,
        then that's also a federal crime.

        I'd say at this stage, your daughter and her current husband have been
        lucky, so it might be an idea just to shut up and not make a legal issue of
        this.

        Jim

        <http://siedow.lawandorder.com/ <http://siedow.lawandorder.com/> >
        http://Siedow.LawAndOrder.com <http://Siedow.LawAndOrder.com>
        <mailto:Siedow@... <mailto:Siedow%40LawAndOrder.com> >
        Siedow@... <mailto:Siedow%40LawAndOrder.com>
        Member NCISS, IWWA

        Need economical legal help?
        Concerned about Identity Theft?

        <mailto:infoguys-list%40yahoogroups.com>

        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 26, 2007
          Jim -

          I'm curious. Does Michigan outlaw John Q. Public from owning scanners? If
          so then I would heartily agree with your comments.

          However, if possession is lawful and it is a public broadcast, why would
          taping it be considered an eavesdrop? Such conduct is not unlawful in
          California according to an attorney I just double checked with since the broadcast is
          neither protected nor copyrighted.

          ________________________

          818-242-9824 FAX

          "one Nation under God"

          a military veteran !

        • C.I.S. Lists
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 26, 2007
            Sue,
            The possession of the police scanner is irrelevant.
            The issue is, did they knowingly listen in to intercepted communications.
            Answer: Yes, as evidenced by the fact they had to run get a tape recorder to
            tape the conversation.
            If they would have turned on the scanner, heard some talking that was
            obviously not the police and said, oops and turned it off, then I'd argue
            against the culpable mental state...but that didn't happen. The listened,
            they realized they could hear the cordless telephone conversations and they
            recorded said conversations...oops, felonies.
            I would hazard the guess that the scanner was retrieved exactly because it
            was an older 900 MHz or 2.4 GHz scanner that would be able to monitor the
            spectrum of frequencies that the cordless phones work on..... but that's
            just my suspicious nature.
            This sounds eerily like the case in Dallas that resulted in criminal charges
            and a plea deal.
            Brian

            _____

            I'm curious. Does Michigan outlaw John Q. Public from owning scanners? If
            so then I would heartily agree with your comments.

            However, if possession is lawful and it is a public broadcast, why would
            taping it be considered an eavesdrop? Such conduct is not unlawful in
            California according to an attorney I just double checked with since the
            broadcast is
            neither protected nor copyrighted.

            ________________________

            _www.sarkispi.com_ (http://www.sarkispi <http://www.sarkispi.com/> .com/)

            818-242-9824 FAX

            "one Nation under God"

            a military veteran !

          • Jim Parker
            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 26, 2007
              Sue,

              It's not a "public broadcast" A public broadcast is like a radio station
              broadcasting a signal that is intended for the public.

              A private conversation, by very definition, is not intended for the public.
              It is a crime both in Michigan and federally to eavesdrop on a private
              communication that you are not a party to.

              Federal law used to provide an exception for signals transmitted from a
              cordless handset to the base unit, but that exemption was done away with
              years ago.

              It is not a crime in Michigan (or federally) to own a scanner capable of
              receiving these frequencies (it's illegal to manufacture, import or sell
              them), but it is a federal crime to modify one to receive those frequencies.

              Jim

              I'm curious. Does Michigan outlaw John Q. Public from owning scanners? If
              so then I would heartily agree with your comments.

              However, if possession is lawful and it is a public broadcast, why would
              taping it be considered an eavesdrop? Such conduct is not unlawful in
              California according to an attorney I just double checked with since the
              broadcast is
              neither protected nor copyrighted.

              ________________________

              _www.sarkispi.com_ (http://www.sarkispi.com/ <http://www.sarkispi.com/> )

              818-242-9824 FAX

              "one Nation under God"

              a military veteran !

            • alvinsbabycakes
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 26, 2007
                Hi Jim,
                My daughter and her ex husband both live in the same apartment building. My daughter lives on the ground floor and her ex husband and his wife live in the upstairs apartment. My daughter and her ex husband agreed to do this so their son would be able to see them both. My daughter wanted her ex husband to bond more with their son, and as far as she knew she and her ex's wife were getting along fine and my daughter thought everything was working out in the best intrest of their son.
                Thank you very much for responding I really appreciate it very much.
                AlvinsBabyCakes

                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 26, 2007
                  Jim,
                  Nothing was done deliberatly as I stated in the previous post as far as my daughter knew they were all getting along fine and doing what was in the best intrest of my grandson who is autistic. I understand deliberately taping or tapping a phone is against the law as it should be, however; planning to deliberatly drug a 4 year old autistic boy so he would sleep I would think one would consider this child endangerment, not to mention child abuse. I just didn't understand the judge allowing this as evidence and the police stating it was against the law and threatening to arrest not only my daughter but me, and I had nothing to do with any of this! So in conclusion I was confussed due to the judges decision and the opinion of the police. Thank you very much for answering my post I appreciate this very much.
                  Take Care, Be Safe, and have a Wonderful Day.!
                  AlvinsBabyCakes

                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 27, 2007
                    Esteemed colleagues

                    I think you need to consult with an attorney on this one, because
                    there are so many issues involved. But, based on my experience,
                    illegally obtained evidence usually will be admitted as evidence in
                    court, as long as it can be properly authenticated and the party who
                    obtained it is not a law enforcement official. That does not mean
                    that the party who obtained the evidence will not be charged civilly
                    or criminally by another party (example: Linda Tripp). I recall many
                    cases where, as a law enforcement officer, we received illegally
                    recorded conversations (tapes made by third parties), and then were
                    able to use them as evidence in cases because we (the LEO's) had not
                    recorded the conversation ourselves.

                    John Huheey
                    Veritas Investigations
                    Dayton, OH

                    --- In infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com, "alvinsbabycakes"
                    <alvinsbabycakes@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > judge she admitted her violent temper she even yelled at the
                    judge!! So
                    > today as I understand it the prosecuting attorney will also be
                    present.
                    > I don't understand this either? But I would like to know if there
                    is a
                    > law code about the recording of a telephone conversation coming
                    through
                    > a police scanner through the public airways? The police say it's
                    illegal
                    > to record the conversations, the judge accepts them as evidence? So
                    I am
                    > really confussed! Any help would be so greatly appreciated,
                    especially
                    > if I can get it before court this afternoon, so I at least know
                    what is
                    > legal and what is illegal and where this may go. Thank you very very

                  • RMRI, Inc.
                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 27, 2007
                      Excellent points, John. And I think your post pretty well sums up this
                      situation, without too much confusion as to the technicalities presented in
                      this scenario.

                      Personally, it is my contention that the law was intentionally broken by the
                      recording party, the fact that someone took the time to use a recording
                      device to record the scanner conversations and has an admitted knowledge of
                      who the person was that this person was recording, demonstrates that they
                      knowingly intended to eavesdrop on the conversation of a person that they
                      were not a direct party to (i.e. first party or second party in a 2 party
                      conversation). .

                      Typically when the Police inform you that this is illegal, it is because
                      they are too lazy to build a case with the information you have. If that
                      were not the case, then the Police would actually charge you with a crime
                      since you gave a confession, instead of simply "cautioning" you that what
                      you did was illegal. So, perhaps you should be thankful for lazy Police
                      Officers in this case?

                      And all of this is to say, you still may be able to get this information
                      admitted into court, as John said and I concur.

                      Rick.

                      I think you need to consult with an attorney on this one, because
                      there are so many issues involved. But, based on my experience,
                      illegally obtained evidence usually will be admitted as evidence in
                      court, as long as it can be properly authenticated and the party who
                      obtained it is not a law enforcement official. That does not mean
                      that the party who obtained the evidence will not be charged civilly
                      or criminally by another party (example: Linda Tripp). I recall many
                      cases where, as a law enforcement officer, we received illegally
                      recorded conversations (tapes made by third parties), and then were
                      able to use them as evidence in cases because we (the LEO's) had not
                      recorded the conversation ourselves.

                      John Huheey
                      Veritas Investigations
                      Dayton, OH

                      --- In infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com
                      <mailto:infoguys-list%40yahoogroups.com> , "alvinsbabycakes"
                      <alvinsbabycakes@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      > judge she admitted her violent temper she even yelled at the
                      judge!! So
                      > today as I understand it the prosecuting attorney will also be
                      present.
                      > I don't understand this either? But I would like to know if there
                      is a
                      > law code about the recording of a telephone conversation coming
                      through
                      > a police scanner through the public airways? The police say it's
                      illegal
                      > to record the conversations, the judge accepts them as evidence? So
                      I am
                      > really confussed! Any help would be so greatly appreciated,
                      especially
                      > if I can get it before court this afternoon, so I at least know
                      what is
                      > legal and what is illegal and where this may go. Thank you very very

                    • George Rodriguez
                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 27, 2007
                        John,

                        The Fruit of the Poisonous Tree only applies to LEO, as you stated. I too, had many pieces of evidence/information that if I had obtained as a LEO in the manner they were obtained would have been thrown so far out of the courthouse, they still may not have landed.

                        George Rodriguez
                        Clear Source Research, LLC
                        Webb City, MO 64870
                        866-596-5627 Phone
                        866-553-2888 Phone
                        213-232-3711 Fax

                      • Jim Parker
                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 27, 2007
                          <<<< But, based on my experience, illegally obtained evidence usually will
                          be admitted as evidence in court, as long as it can be properly
                          authenticated and the party who obtained it is not a law enforcement
                          official. >>>>

                          John,

                          You should note that under federal law, intercepted communications are
                          specifically prohibited from being used as evidence in any trial, hearing or
                          proceeding (see 18 USC §2515) and to do so, or endeavor to do so is a felony
                          crime punishable with up to 5 years in prison.

                          United States v. Wuliger provides a good example. Wuliger was an attorney
                          representing the husband in a divorce case. During deposition and the
                          divorce hearing, Wuliger used transcripts and tapes of illegally obtained
                          communications of the wife as evidence. He was subsequently prosecuted by
                          the US Attorney under 18 USC §2511(1)(d) which makes it a crime to "use" or
                          "endeavor to use" any part of an illegally obtained communication.

                          The district court fined Wuliger $5,000 and placed him on two year probation
                          on the condition that he serve a 30-day home detention and surrender
                          his license to practice law. In January, 1992, the Supreme Court of Ohio
                          indefinitely suspended him.

                          I believe his conviction was overturned on appeal, but only on a
                          technicality (that the jury had not been properly instructed that Wuliger
                          must have known or had reason to know that the conversations were recorded
                          illegally.)

                          He was saved from liability in a civil suit later filed by the wife, only
                          because the parties original divorce decree included a broad release of the
                          parties and their lawyers from a series of rights, benefits, and
                          liabilities. The language of the release, the court determined, would
                          include a civil suit brought by the wife for violation of The Wiretap Act.

                          Jim

                          <alvinsbabycakes@...> wrote:

> [...]
                          > judge she admitted her violent temper she even yelled at the
                          judge!! So
                          > today as I understand it the prosecuting attorney will also be
                          present.
                          > I don't understand this either? But I would like to know if there
                          is a
                          > law code about the recording of a telephone conversation coming
                          through
                          > a police scanner through the public airways? The police say it's
                          illegal
                          > to record the conversations, the judge accepts them as evidence? So
                          I am
                          > really confussed! Any help would be so greatly appreciated,
                          especially
                          > if I can get it before court this afternoon, so I at least know
                          what is
                          > legal and what is illegal and where this may go. Thank you very very

                        • RMRI, Inc.
                          Message 12 of 21 , Sep 27, 2007
                            I think the below scenario is a fair representation of how evidence that may
                            be obtained illegally by a private citizen can still be ruled as admissible
                            in court:

                            Police blotter" is a weekly News.com report on the intersection of
                            technology and the law.

                            What: Husband uses keystroke logger to spy on wife's suspected
                            relationship with another woman, who sues to prevent the records from
                            being used in the divorce case.

                            When: U.S. District Judge Thomas Rose in the southern district of
                            Ohio rules on February 14.

                            Outcome: Rose denies request for injunction preventing the electronic
                            documents from being introduced as evidence in the divorce case.

                            What happened, according to court documents:
                            Once upon a time, tempestuous divorces might have included one spouse
                            snooping through the other's private correspondence or eavesdropping
                            on private conversations taking place in another room.

                            That kind of snooping was, for the most part, entirely legal. But
                            when the same kind of snooping happens in electronic form, it can be
                            a federal crime. (Last year, Police Blotter covered the case of the
                            Garfinkel divorce. Another case involving spyware arose a year
                            earlier.)

                            That doesn't seem to be the case here. Jeffery Havlicek filed for a
                            divorce from his wife Amy Havlicek in Ohio's Greene County Common
                            Pleas Court. Amy had been chatting through e-mail and instant
                            messages with a woman named Christina Potter. Jeffery suspected that
                            Potter and his wife, Amy, were romantically involved in a
                            lesbian "relationship of some sort," his attorney would later say in
                            a legal brief.

                            Around that time, Jeffery installed some sort of monitoring software
                            on the family computer--a Dell Precision 220 that was located in the
                            guest room, was used by multiple family members including teenage
                            children, and did not have a password on it most of the time. (There
                            is disagreement about why the software was installed; Jeffery says it
                            was in part because of his daughter's increased use of the Internet.)

                            Jeffery has admitted this much. In a sworn affidavit (PDF), he said
                            that he installed an unnamed monitoring utility in September 2005,
                            three months before his wife moved out of their home. The affidavit
                            said the utility "collects keyboard typing, screen shots, and
                            requested access to Web sites...The keyboard typing utility logs the
                            time and sequence of keystrokes...The screen shot logging feature is
                            similar to hitting the 'print screen' button on most keyboards. It
                            saves an image of what appears on the monitor."

                            He also admitted to downloading e-mail from his wife Amy's Web-based
                            e-mail account, but claimed it was authorized because she had chosen
                            to save her username and password through the browser's "remember me"
                            feature.

                            He planned to use that vast array of electronic evidence as
                            ammunition to win his divorce case. Eventually his lawyer showed some
                            of the correspondence between Amy Havlicek and Christina Potter to
                            Amy's own attorney. In an affidavit (PDF), Potter claims that the
                            correspondence was also shown to neighbors and a court-appointed
                            custody evaluator "to harass, annoy, and inflict emotional injury on
                            me."

                            Potter, his wife's alleged paramour, responded by filing a federal
                            lawsuit designed to shut Jeffery up. She asked for an injunction
                            barring any "disclosure" or "dissemination" of the electronic
                            documents, including preventing them from being used in the divorce
                            case taking place in state court.

                            The Electronic Communications Privacy Act, a federal law, was
                            violated during the recording, Potter claimed. ECPA (18 USC Section
                            2511) bans anyone from disclosing "to any other person the contents
                            of any wire, oral, or electronic communication" that was obtained
                            illegally.

                            Potter lost. U.S. District Judge Thomas Rose said that ECPA does not
                            permit courts to disallow such evidence, saying that appeals
                            courts "have concluded that Congress intentionally omitted illegally
                            intercepted electronic communications from the category of cases in
                            which the remedy of suppression is available." He also rejected her
                            request for a broader injunction, saying it would violate Jeffery's
                            freedom of speech as protected by the First Amendment.

                            Rose did say, however, that "disclosure of the information in state
                            court by Jeffery Havlicek or his attorney" might be "actionable
                            civilly or criminally." He suggested that the "remember me" option
                            probably didn't give Jeffery an implied right to view his wife's e-
                            mail messages. And he ordered Jeffery to provide Potter, his wife's
                            alleged paramour, with the complete set of electronic evidence that
                            he had planned to use in the divorce case.

                            Excerpt from Rose's opinion:
                            Because the suppression provision excludes illegally intercepted wire
                            and oral communications from the courtroom, but does not mention
                            electronic communications, several courts, including the Sixth
                            Circuit, have concluded that Congress intentionally omitted illegally
                            intercepted electronic communications from the category of cases in
                            which the remedy of suppression is available.

                            With this distinction in mind, the court finds that it does not have
                            the authority to forbid the disclosure of the allegedly intercepted
                            communications to the state official determining custody of the
                            Havliceks' children or any other state court proceeding. This is not
                            to imply, however, that disclosure of the information in state court
                            by Jeffery Havlicek or his attorney might not be actionable civilly
                            or criminally under 18 USC (Section) 2511. In any event, the court's
                            inability to enjoin the presentation of this evidence in state court
                            does not resolve the question of whether the injunction on disclosing
                            this information in other context should issue. Therefore, the court
                            will proceed to consider the appropriateness of relief in this case,
                            beginning with plaintiff's chances of succeeding on the merits.

                            Defendant's response to the motion for preliminary injunction claims
                            that the keystroke recording and screen shot recording software do
                            not record communications contemporaneously with the transmission of
                            the communications. Contemporaneousness was an element originally
                            introduced to 18 USC (Section) 2511 when the law applied only to wire
                            and oral communications...

                            We conclude that the term "electronic communication" includes
                            transient electronic storage that is intrinsic to the communication
                            process for such communications. That conclusion is consistent with
                            our precedent...

                            Moreover, the court views the screen shot software as distinct from
                            the keystroke software in regards to the interstate commerce
                            requirement. In contrast to the keystrokes, which, when recorded,
                            have not traveled in interstate commerce, the incoming emails
                            subjected to the screen shot software have traveled in interstate
                            commerce. Additionally, there is no evidence before the court to
                            allow any conclusion that the technical aspects of the instant case
                            result in Potter's claim being defeated by a lack of
                            contemporaneousness, even if the court were to find this element
                            necessary...

                            Defendant raises another hurdle to success on the merits, however, by
                            referring to the case of United States v. Ropp, which focuses on the
                            requirement in 18 USC (Section) 2510(12) that the interception be of
                            an interstate or foreign communication or be of a communication
                            affecting interstate commerce. Ropp notes that keystroke software
                            records the entirely internal transmission from the keyboard to the
                            CPU, and records all keystrokes, whether they initiate signals
                            destined to travel in interstate commerce or not. The decision,
                            however, seems to read the statute as requiring the communication to
                            be traveling in interstate commerce, rather than merely "affecting"
                            interstate commerce. It seems to this court that the keystrokes that
                            send a message off into interstate commerce "affect" interstate
                            commerce...

                            Because the ECPA does not provide for the relief of suppression of
                            illegally intercepted electronic communications sought to be used as
                            evidence in a court case, and because a balancing of plaintiff's
                            impending irreparable harms and the public interest in the requested
                            injunction against plaintiff's likelihood of success on the merits of
                            her claims weighs in favor of not granting the requested injunction,
                            plaintiff's motion for preliminary injunction, Doc. 16, is denied.

                            ----------------------------

                            <alvinsbabycakes@...> wrote:

> [...]
                            > judge she admitted her violent temper she even yelled at the
                            judge!! So
                            > today as I understand it the prosecuting attorney will also be
                            present.
                            > I don't understand this either? But I would like to know if there
                            is a
                            > law code about the recording of a telephone conversation coming
                            through
                            > a police scanner through the public airways? The police say it's
                            illegal
                            > to record the conversations, the judge accepts them as evidence? So
                            I am
                            > really confussed! Any help would be so greatly appreciated,
                            especially
                            > if I can get it before court this afternoon, so I at least know
                            what is
                            > legal and what is illegal and where this may go. Thank you very very

                          • Jim Parker
                            Message 13 of 21 , Sep 27, 2007
                              <<<< I think the below scenario is a fair representation of how evidence
                              that may
                              be obtained illegally by a private citizen can still be ruled as admissible
                              in court: >>>>

                              Well, yes and no. The problem is that what you have quoted is not relevant
                              to the current discussion, simply because what we are discussing is the
                              interception of wire/oral communications, and the case you are talking about
                              concerns electronic communications.

                              Intercepted wire/oral communications ARE federally prohibited for use as
                              evidence, whereas electronic communications are not (see 18 USC §2515)

                              §2515 reads:

                              Prohibition of use as evidence of intercepted wire or oral communications

                              Whenever any wire or oral communication has been intercepted, no part of the
                              contents of such communication and no evidence derived therefrom may be
                              received in evidence in any trial, hearing, or other proceeding in or before
                              any court, grand jury, department, officer, agency, regulatory body,
                              legislative committee, or other authority of the United States, a State, or
                              a political subdivision thereof if the disclosure of that information would
                              be in violation of this chapter.

                              You'll see that electronic communications aren't covered in that section on
                              admissibility (although the act of intercepting and disclosing the
                              communications are, as your case noted).

                              Also keep in mind that state law also come into play. Just two years ago in
                              Florida, for example, Beverly O'Brien attempted to introduce communications
                              obtained by a placing key-logger on her husband's computer as evidence in
                              their divorce case. The 5th District Court of Appeal disallowed the use of
                              the communications as evidence, noting that the wife's actions were "illegal
                              and punishable as a crime".

                              Jim
                            • Jim Parker
                              Message 14 of 21 , Sep 27, 2007
                                <<<< Nothing was done deliberatly ... >>>>

                                That would be up to the Court to decide, but as most have noted, the fact
                                that your daughter's husband took the initiative to hook up a recorder to
                                the scanner would tend to indicate otherwise.

                                The fact that the police threatened to arrest you and your daughter is
                                precisely why I suggested your best course of action is just to shut up (in
                                the legal sense) and not make an issue out of it.

                                Technically, as you've described the events, several state and federal
                                crimes were committed, and if no one at this stage wants to pursue criminal
                                or civil action or isn't smart enough to, I wouldn't be giving them the
                                ammunition or inclination to do so.

                                Jim Parker <Jim@... <mailto:Jim%40FloridaDetectives.com> >

                                From: infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com <mailto:infoguys-list%40yahoogroups.com>

                                Message 15 of 21 , Sep 27, 2007
                                  The original post in this thread came from what appears to be a private
                                  citizen and not a professional investigator. Laws vary from state to state, and
                                  of course we have to consider the federal statutes as well.

                                  Cindy, please provide more contact information so that someone can contact
                                  you directly or refer you to someone in your area who could answer your
                                  particular questions with specific information. Signing only as "alvinsbabycakes"
                                  would, I imagine, discourage many responses that might be helpful to you.

                                  Thank you all for using complete signature blocks. Anonymous posts
                                  directed to a world-wide forum are suspect to many of us.

                                  _"RASCAL" - Your friendly neighborhood Process Server_
                                  (http://www.ranchoattorneyservice.com/)
                                  Michele Dawn, RPS 117 & CA PI 24790
                                  Rancho Attorney Service of California &
                                  RASCAL's Research & Location Services
                                  28465 Old Town Front St #318
                                  Temecula, CA 92590
                                  (951) 693-0165
                                  _www.ranchoattorneyservice.com_ (http://www.ranchoattorneyservice.com/)

                                • Jim Parker
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Sep 27, 2007
                                    <<<< Cindy, please provide more contact information so that someone can
                                    contact you directly or refer you to someone in your area who could answer
                                    your particular questions with specific information. Signing only as
                                    "alvinsbabycakes"
                                    would, I imagine, discourage many responses that might be helpful to you.

                                    I dunno, Michele...

                                    If I were posting to a public forum admitting to several acts that could
                                    well be construed as federal and state crimes, I wouldn't be too inclined to
                                    provide my real name or contact information either.

                                    I suspect that the original poster in some way suspected that the actions of
                                    her daughter's boyfriend may be criminal acts, and that's why she didn't
                                    provide full information.

                                    I'm kinda ok with that. If it were a post like "can anyone get bank account
                                    info" or similar, I'd want to know who was asking, but in a matter merely
                                    for someone's personal edification, I don't think we need to know.

                                    Jim

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Sep 27, 2007
                                      It would also be a good idea to get your legal advice from an attorney. As
                                      you can see, while we investigators work with recordings and the laws
                                      pertaining to them, each case is different, as is each jurisdiction, each
                                      judge and each DA. You will do best to get an attorney in the correct
                                      jurisdiction and area of specialty to study this particular case and advise
                                      you. Your local bar should be able to direct you, or if you cannot afford
                                      to go that route consider Prepaid Legal Services. I use it and sell it with
                                      good results.

                                      http://prepaidlegal.com/hub/vsiedow

                                      I agree that while autism wears hard on caregivers, drugs, especially those
                                      given without the agreement of the parents, are not a good solution. Check
                                      out this organization, they find non-drug solutions for mental illness,
                                      autism, ADD, etc.

                                      http://alternativementalhealth.com/

[...]

                                      YnVhBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEwMDM1NTQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDU5MzU0BG1zZ0lkAzEx
                                      MzEyBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3Z0cGMEc3RpbWUDMTE5MDkxNzEyMgR0cGNJZAMxMTI5MA--> in
                                      this topic (0)
                                      zk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEwMDM1NTQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDU5MzU0BG1zZ0lkAzExMzEyBHNlY
                                      wNmdHIEc2xrA3JwbHkEc3RpbWUDMTE5MDkxNzEyMg--?act=reply&messageNum=11312>
                                      Reply (via web post) | Start
                                      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/infoguys-list/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJlZGl2YzcxBF9TA
                                      zk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEwMDM1NTQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDU5MzU0BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA250c
                                      GMEc3RpbWUDMTE5MDkxNzEyMg--> a new topic

                                    • Jim Parker
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Sep 27, 2007
                                        There's no need whatsoever that I can see for this lady to retain an
                                        attorney on this issue. Maybe on the custody issue, but certainly not to
                                        answer questions on something that's already over and done with.

                                        Not to mention that lawyers frequently give their clients terribly bad
                                        advice, because by far, the vast majority of attorneys don't have anywhere
                                        near the experience and understanding that the people here who deal in these
                                        issues daily have.

                                        I frequently get calls from attorneys asking me to do things that are
                                        blatantly illegal, but don't know that until I tell them and explain exactly
                                        what laws they (or I) would be violating.

                                        I'll bet several others here face the same issues frequently.

                                        This lady is already ahead of the game by getting evidence submitted that
                                        could potentially lead to serious criminal charges or extensive civil
                                        damages, but no one thus far has blinked an eye. Throwing attorneys into
                                        the mix is only going to inspire the opposition to get her own attorney, who
                                        may well be smarter than she is and want to pursue this matter further.

                                        It's simply inviting trouble.

                                        Jim

                                        http://prepaidlegal.com/hub/vsiedow <http://prepaidlegal.com/hub/vsiedow>

                                        http://alternativementalhealth.com/ <http://alternativementalhealth.com/>