Re: [infoguys-list] Dental case-comments

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 10, 2007
      In a message dated 8/10/2007 7:34:43 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
      Jurydoctor@... writes:

      Do you think that due to the failure to prescribbe antibiotics, the
      infection
      caused her severe Vitiligo?

      Amy -

      I will answer with a resounding YES. However, the subsequent series of
      events were, as reported, the most likely cause of the advanced development in
      that she suffered extreme trauma to the localized areas coupled with the
      understandable emotional distress.

      What did the doctors attribute the swelling to? Based on the little bit of
      information you have provided, I'm assuming it was septic shock considering
      her length of stay and the need for ICU. If it was, she's lucky to be alive
      since only 75% of patients survive septic shock. Having a Hx of a weakened
      immune system put her high on the list as being at greater risk of developing
      septic shock.

      The fact that she had swollen enough to require a tracheotomy leads me to
      believe that there were a lot of toxins from the bacteria that got into her
      system rather fast. That would confirm the seriousness of the infection in and
      of itself. How low was her B/P upon admission to the ER? Was she mentally
      alert? Fever? Chills? Any indication of permanent organ damage? I would
      assume no since she went septic within 24 hrs. and not a few days later.

      I'd be curious as to other things as well. What was her 02 Sat upon
      arrival? 3 days later on oxygen? What were her BUN results. What were her white
      counts? Was she checked for lactic acid? If so, results? What were the
      results of the C&S? How open was the IV, i.e., drip rate?

      818-242-9824 FAX

      "one Nation under God"

      a military veteran !