dummy cameras

  • nairbtx
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 6 9:32 AM
      I manage a nearly 500 unit self-storage complex in Texas. We have had
      increased activity lately, break-ins, etc. What do you guys think
      about installing some dummy cameras. I have read about the liability
      issues associated with installing these type cameras. Of course, we
      would NOT advertise as having security cameras as a perk to renting
      from us, we would just put them up. Do any of you have any experience
      with these, or any information on this.

      Thanks
    • Bob Hrodey
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 6 5:00 PM
        nairbtx wrote:
        > I manage a nearly 500 unit self-storage complex in Texas. We have had
        > increased activity lately, break-ins, etc. What do you guys think
        > about installing some dummy cameras. I have read about the liability
        > issues associated with installing these type cameras. Of course, we
        > would NOT advertise as having security cameras as a perk to renting
        > from us, we would just put them up. Do any of you have any experience
        > with these, or any information on this.

        Think about it: Regardless of whether or not you advertise the security
        cameras as a security enhancement for the premises, a reasonable man
        will believe them to be such and your liability remains unchanged.
        OTOH, if he can't see them he can't make that assumption but then, if
        they can't be seen, they have little or no deterrent effect.

        The biggest problem with dummy camera installations that I've seen is
        that the quality of the product is so poor that the only dummy fooled by
        the dummy camera is the dummy that installed it. When you look at what
        is available out there that actually works, you'll find that the price
        difference between a working camera and a dummy that actually looks like
        the real thing is not all that much. Why leave yourself blind AND open
        to liability for a few dollars? Makes no sense.

        Why not do it right and blend a SOLID video surveillance and recording
        system -- something with reasonably good camera coverage, video motion
        sensors in the DVR and a very large hard drive -- with some quality
        dummy cameras that make the place look like a nuclear weapons storage
        facility? Use the domed cameras where practical to keep the mopes
        guessing, to make them think there are more REAL cameras out there than
        there really are, and allow you to concentrate cameras in trouble areas
        or areas of ingress/egress to the problem areas.

        --

        Enjoy,

        Bob
        Hrodey & Associates Established 1977
        email: inquiry@... or rth@...
        Illinois License 115-000783 Wisconsin 8045-063
      • Paul Curtis
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 6 5:28 PM
          I would add to what Bob has mentioned and say that the most effective
          security system in a high visibility situation is one where the perps can
          see themselves on the monitors. If the monitors are on display through a
          window in the front office there is no doubt that they are on view. The
          only doubt is whether they are being recorded or not and they more often
          than not are not willing to take that chance after seeing themselves on TV.

          Paul Curtis

          (714) 612-5331

          Costa Mesa, CA

          > I manage a nearly 500 unit self-storage complex in Texas. We have had
          > increased activity lately, break-ins, etc. What do you guys think
          > about installing some dummy cameras. I have read about the liability
          > issues associated with installing these type cameras. Of course, we
          > would NOT advertise as having security cameras as a perk to renting
          > from us, we would just put them up. Do any of you have any experience
          > with these, or any information on this.

          Think about it: Regardless of whether or not you advertise the security
          cameras as a security enhancement for the premises, a reasonable man
          will believe them to be such and your liability remains unchanged.
          OTOH, if he can't see them he can't make that assumption but then, if
          they can't be seen, they have little or no deterrent effect.

          The biggest problem with dummy camera installations that I've seen is
          that the quality of the product is so poor that the only dummy fooled by
          the dummy camera is the dummy that installed it. When you look at what
          is available out there that actually works, you'll find that the price
          difference between a working camera and a dummy that actually looks like
          the real thing is not all that much. Why leave yourself blind AND open
          to liability for a few dollars? Makes no sense.

          Why not do it right and blend a SOLID video surveillance and recording
          system -- something with reasonably good camera coverage, video motion
          sensors in the DVR and a very large hard drive -- with some quality
          dummy cameras that make the place look like a nuclear weapons storage
          facility? Use the domed cameras where practical to keep the mopes
          guessing, to make them think there are more REAL cameras out there than
          there really are, and allow you to concentrate cameras in trouble areas
          or areas of ingress/egress to the problem areas.

          --

          Enjoy,

          Bob
          Hrodey & Associates Established 1977
          email: inquiry@... <mailto:inquiry%40hrodey.com> or rth@...
          <mailto:rth%40hrodey.com>
          Illinois License 115-000783 Wisconsin 8045-063