Re: [infoguys-list] Re: Using and Choosing Data Providers

  • david jones
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 16 10:42 PM
      Facts are facts no matter how they are obtained. There is no sense in disclosing trade secrets.

      Ricky Gurley <rmriinc@...> wrote: --- In infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Eskridge" <TOM@...> wrote:

      > If nothing else, it suggests what NOT to put
      > in a written
      > > report.
      >

      > It sounds like the TRULY LICENSED people omit facts---kinda of a way
      of
      > saying they lie

      I will take some courses on how to omit facts from my reports... Thanks
      for helping me to decide which continuing education courses might
      benefit me best, Tom... ;o)

      Rick.

    • david jones
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 16 10:46 PM
        All investigation work should be objective, this is not an audit. If someone were able to get a court to request the information that you found no matter how it was found and its the same information, that is key. You do not have to explain how you know the information, but you better be damn sure its accurate.

        Rus B Robison <rbr007@...> wrote: A major consideration on what to put into your report is whether or not the
        report is subject to discovery by opposing counsel. If your report is
        discoverable, keep it plain vanilla. Make a verbal report to the lawyer that
        hired you on any issues you question and let him decide each issue on a
        case-by-case basis on what is exculpatory or not.

        If your report qualifies as "attorney work product" where you discuss case
        strategies, give opinions etc., then you have less to worry about. Always
        discuss any issues you have with your client before making a questionable
        report.

        With kindest regards, I remain...

        The Robison Companies, LLC

        Private Investigators

        Rus B. Robison

        General Manager

        Voice (405) 721-2295

        rbr@...

        Oklahoma's FIRST State-Licensed Private Investigation Agency.

        __

      • Thomas Eskridge
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 17 4:51 AM
          Here's a better idea. Follow the law. IF it is true that a process server in
          California is violating the law by using a Data Provider---where this post
          started---then just DON'T don't it. Then you have no problem determining how
          to write your report. It is kind of amazing how soon he lessons of
          Hewlett-Packard have been lost on some.

          Tom Eskridge, Chief Operations Officer

          High Tech Crime Institute

          28100 US Hwy 19 N, suite 204

          Clearwater Florida 33761

          www.gohtci.com

          _____

          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 17 4:53 AM
            Facts are facts no matter how they are obtained

            See prior post. Wonder if this one worked for HP?

            Tom Eskridge, Chief Operations Officer

            High Tech Crime Institute

            28100 US Hwy 19 N, suite 204

            Clearwater Florida 33761

            www.gohtci.com

            _____

            .

            <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=1003554/grpspId=1705059354/msgId
            =11052/stime=1182059619/nc1=3848515/nc2=3848643/nc3=3848571>

          • Thomas Eskridge
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 17 9:11 AM
              http://pasco. <http://pasco.tbo.com/pasco/MGB5HT6FZ2F.html>
              tbo.com/pasco/MGB5HT6FZ2F.html

              Can you say pay the feds $110K for facts obtained..oh yeah ..it was via
              pretexting.

              Ricky Gurley <rmriinc@yahoo. <mailto:rmriinc%40yahoo.com> com> wrote: --- In
              infoguys-list@ <mailto:infoguys-list%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com,

              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 18 7:20 AM
                I didn't say to violate privacy laws. In Florida, pretexting is legal so long as you do not pretend to represent yourself to be anyone employed by the government: state, city, federal or otherwise and you have permissible use to do so. That will depend on what kind of case you are working on. The same goes for any other method you use to collect data. Using public records database or DMV records to cause service of process is legal in some states but in others, say, Pennsylvania it is not. The investigators in the HP "scandal" violated privacy laws by obtaining records they did not have permissible use to access.

                Pretexting is a very valid way to collect information. You can collect information in five minutes on a phone that can take you hours to collect on the Internet, if you can even find it at all. Before you do it though, you should obviously make sure your not putting yourself in an actionable position.

                Thomas Eskridge <TOM@...> wrote: http://pasco. <http://pasco.tbo.com/pasco/MGB5HT6FZ2F.html>