Re: Linux Administrative security tools

  • Ricky Gurley
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 7, 2007
      --- In infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com, "anand.vaasu" <anand.vaasu@...>
      wrote:

      > New posts on Linux Administrative tools/ remote and local are added
      on
      > this blog. A real Worth to read
      >
      > http://security-guide.blogspot.com/

      I think this is a good topic, considering that I am hearing more and
      more P.I.s saying that they are considering trying a Linux system to
      perform certain tasks for their business. I'd recommend Kubuntu for
      ease of use: http://www.kubuntu.org

      I skimmed through your blog, and it looks like it is very well
      intentioned. However, some of the tools that I saw there I personally
      believe represent the potential for network vulnerabilities. I use
      Kubuntu, Mandriva, and Free BSD, and I would run a lot more on Free
      BSD than I would on the Linux Systems since Free BSD is an even more
      secure OS with the ability to run "jailed processes". Of course
      though, if anyone is reading his and thinking about setting up a Free
      BSD Box, get the newest version of Free BSD as some of the older
      versions have a vulnerability that allow a certain manipulation of a
      very critical part of the network while running Jailed Processes at
      the SuperUser Level.

      The Linux Systems should really be "hardened" before allowing remote
      access via any remote admin tools. I'd recommend Bastille..

      Rick.