Linux Administrative security tools

  • anand.vaasu
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 7, 2007
      New posts on Linux Administrative tools/ remote and local are added on
      this blog. A real Worth to read

      http://security-guide.blogspot.com/
    • Ricky Gurley
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 7, 2007
        --- In infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com, "anand.vaasu" <anand.vaasu@...>
        wrote:

        > New posts on Linux Administrative tools/ remote and local are added
        on
        > this blog. A real Worth to read
        >
        > http://security-guide.blogspot.com/

        I think this is a good topic, considering that I am hearing more and
        more P.I.s saying that they are considering trying a Linux system to
        perform certain tasks for their business. I'd recommend Kubuntu for
        ease of use: http://www.kubuntu.org

        I skimmed through your blog, and it looks like it is very well
        intentioned. However, some of the tools that I saw there I personally
        believe represent the potential for network vulnerabilities. I use
        Kubuntu, Mandriva, and Free BSD, and I would run a lot more on Free
        BSD than I would on the Linux Systems since Free BSD is an even more
        secure OS with the ability to run "jailed processes". Of course
        though, if anyone is reading his and thinking about setting up a Free
        BSD Box, get the newest version of Free BSD as some of the older
        versions have a vulnerability that allow a certain manipulation of a
        very critical part of the network while running Jailed Processes at
        the SuperUser Level.

        The Linux Systems should really be "hardened" before allowing remote
        access via any remote admin tools. I'd recommend Bastille..

        Rick.