rollover

  • Jurydoctor@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , May 2, 2007
      I need your opinions on this case ASAP. $5 for each opinion goes to Healing
      Horses.
      thanks in advance,
      amy

      Jack and his girlfriend Jill decided to drive up to the hills to drink a
      bucket of vodka. They brought their friends Mary Lamb and Peter Wolf. (all were
      college students)
      Mary would be the designated driver on the trip home from the hills.

      These college students drove up to the hills in Jill's cargo van with Mary
      and Peter in the back.

      Jack and Jill got into a fight (which they were known to do) after everyone ,
      but Mary, got a little drunk.
      Jill refused to give the keys to Mary as promised.

      On the way back (it was getting dark and they were in the middle of nowhere),
      Jill was driving and Jack was fighting. Suddenly Jack (predictably
      unpredictable) grabbed the steering wheel from Jill. The van rolled over, neither Peter
      (a little drunk himself) or straight Mary had seatbelts in the cargo area to
      wear.

      Peter who was anti social and not such a nice guy before the rollover is now
      a parapelgic.

      Who is at fault and why?

      Is Jill the captain of this ship? Did Mary act like sheep/lamb? Is abusive
      Jack the only one at fault here?
      Is Peter at fault for getting in the back with a drunk at the wheel?

    • Jim Parker
      Message 2 of 4 , May 2, 2007
        <<<< Is Peter at fault for getting in the back with a drunk at the wheel?

        That would be the one.

        Message 3 of 4 , May 2, 2007
          Amy -

          I can see this one going many different ways in the eyes of the jury
          depending upon how it is presented.

          My opinion, however, is the following:

          Is Jill the captain of this ship?
          YES
          Did Mary act like sheep/lamb?
          YES
          Is abusive Jack the only one at fault here?
          NO
          Is Peter at fault for getting in the back with a drunk at the wheel?
          YES

          I personally would hold Mary the most culpable since she was the only sober
          one.

          Here in CA we do not have any "diminished capacity" defense. Maybe you do.
          If so, those who were drinking will probably run that route.

          Although I do find Jack most at fault for the total disregard of life, there
          is plenty of room for contributory negligence assuming your State has such
          an option. However, and again, with Mary being the only sober one, she should
          have controlled the situation a lot better.

          What a shame. What a waste.

          ________________________

          818-242-9824 FAX

          "one Nation under God"

          a military veteran !

        • Vicki Siedow
          Message 4 of 4 , May 3, 2007
            Like many of these cases, it's a tragic accident. We all have to let our
            kids make mistakes, and try to save them from anything that will permanently
            damage them, but by the time they're in college we don't have a lot we can
            do to protect them. We have to teach them good judgment early on. Even if
            we do our best they will often do things like this, testing the limits.
            Most of us are lucky that our kids get away without a more than a scratch,
            but sometimes the universe chooses a person to serve as an example. It's
            the only thing that keeps the other kids a bit more in line sometimes.

            The kids blew it. All of them. They obviously knew better, they even were
            responsible enough to choose a designated driver. Unfortunately, as often
            happens, good judgment is drowned in alcohol. Once they'd had a few they
            thought they were invincible, like a lot of kids. Oddly enough, many are.
            The worst they should have had is a hang over. This was a case of Russian
            roulette, and they lost. I say "they" because none of them will ever be the
            same. They are all paying, and will to some degree for life.

            Everyone but Mary was drunk. She should have taken the keys at the outset,
            before the drinking began, but by nature of agreeing to be the designated
            driver she may have exhibited a propitiative or submissive character. The
            others seem to have been caught up in the angst of young adulthood. That,
            in itself, should be considered a form of inebriation. When added to the
            alcohol it has often proved lethal.

            OK, enough sleep deprived philosophy; they all messed up, approximately
            equally. This is not a legal opinion, it's my opinion.

            Vicki Siedow
            Siedow & Associates Investigations
            & Legal Support Services
            2629 Foothill Blvd. #262