RE: [infoguys-list] Re: sexual abuse in prison -more info

  • Jim Parker
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2007
      <<<< Sgt. Smith pled guilty to sexual misconduct through intimidation. >>>>

      I guess I'm missing the part about the actual law suit. I'm assuming Jane Doe is suing the state for damages based on her mental health problems after being raped (more than once) by a guard in prison? Smith pled guilty to raping her, and now the state is saying "well, she was screwed up before he raped her, so it's not our problem".

      Does that sum it up?

      If so, I'd give Jane whatever she's seeking, and have Smith locked up in a women's prison (general population). If you think male prisoners can be rough on rapists and scum-bags, just wait 'til you see what these women will do to him.

      Jim

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2007
        LOL, gosh we missed you, Jim. Things were nowhere near as much fun without
        you. ;)

        Vicki Siedow
        Siedow & Associates Investigations
        & Legal Support Services
        2629 Foothill Blvd. #262
        La Crescenta, CA 91214
        Los Angeles County
        CA PI License # 22852
        800.448.6431 toll free
        818.242.0130 local
        818.688.3295 fax
        <mailto:Siedow@...> Siedow@...
        Member NCISS, IWWA

        Need economical legal help?
        Concerned about Identity Theft?

        _____

        <<<< Sgt. Smith pled guilty to sexual misconduct through intimidation. >>>>

        I guess I'm missing the part about the actual law suit. I'm assuming Jane
        Doe is suing the state for damages based on her mental health problems after
        being raped (more than once) by a guard in prison? Smith pled guilty to
        raping her, and now the state is saying "well, she was screwed up before he
        raped her, so it's not our problem".

        Does that sum it up?

        If so, I'd give Jane whatever she's seeking, and have Smith locked up in a
        women's prison (general population). If you think male prisoners can be
        rough on rapists and scum-bags, just wait 'til you see what these women will
        do to him.

        Jim

        .

        <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=1003554/grpspId=1705059354/msgId
        =10733/stime=1172793722/nc1=3848521/nc2=3848567/nc3=3848581>

      • Vicki Siedow
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2007
          I have mixed feelings. I am completely distrustful of the diagnosis as I
          have worked psychiatric abuse cases and feel that most psychiatrists will
          keep a patient in "treatment," which often consists of drugging them and
          little else, because it is financially to their advantage, rather than for
          the good of the patient. I have also seen patients implanted or coached to
          appear to have conditions, memories, feelings, etc. that are not really
          their own.

          That said, I also know that sexual assaults of this nature are not all that
          unusual, and the good old boy network is at its best in military, police and
          jail/prison environments. I have seen this happen in hospitals with mental
          patients as well, where, like a prisoner, the victim has no way to report,
          and will not be believed in any case. I find this sort of assault to be of
          the worst kind. I find it credible that she would have survived reasonably
          well her earlier experiences, although she seems to have self medicated,
          which could relate to her earlier abuses, as well as her entire environment
          and upbringing. It also makes perfect sense that the subsequent beatings,
          as well as prolonged isolation with nothing to do but brood, would
          exacerbate the effects of the assaults. What she experienced at the hands
          of Smith (and I think that those who know and looked away are very much to
          blame as well) was far worse than what had gone before, and understandably
          more traumatic.

          I would definitely find in her favor. I don't have enough information to
          tell you how much she should be awarded. I'd love to see Smith (Barlow?)
          face criminal charges for this one. My only concern is that the
          psychiatrist is now giving her drugs to replace the alchohol, but not
          remedying her real problems. He's in a position to profit as much as she
          is, any has every incentive to keep her drugged and on the books forever,
          with the state paying the way. This could very well be victimizing Jane yet
          again. I am also concerned that whatever award she gets could actually harm
          her, as she is unlikely to handle money well, and could get into more
          trouble with it than without it unless she is given help in managing it.
          I'd love to think that she could buy her way into a better life, but we've
          all seen what happens to lottery winners.

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 2, 2007
            Michigan took care of this problem by removing men from the housing areas. Men are allowed to work in Administrative duties such as wardens, secretaries, prison yards, food services, and inmate stores.Men are not assigned to areas where they are given the opportunity to be alone with a female. This might be the deep pocket lawsuit for this female.

            bb