Re: [infoguys-list] An Interesting Article.....

  • Bob Hrodey
    Message 1 of 32 , Mar 1, 2007
      Jim Parker, wrote the following at or about 3/1/2007 4:06 PM:
      > <<<< The webmail account is more troubling than the computer, at least it
      > is in my mind. The computer with shared usage, lack of password, etc. is
      > fair game. >>>>
      >
      > Just because something takes place in cyberspace doesn't make it "fair
      > game". There is no special privilege accorded to legally protected
      > communications solely on the basis of where the communication took place,
      > except of course conversations that are directed at the public. The
      > communications between Amy and Christina were clearly intended to be
      > private, otherwise, Amy wouldn't be suing now.
      >

      > <<< You help yourself to the mail, read my bank statements, etc. What law
      > have you broken? >>>
      >
      > Probably none, but there's a big difference between something that is in
      > plain sight and something that you have to 'break in' to steal. If a baker
      > drops the key to his bakery on the way to his car, that doesn't imply
      > authority for you to use the key to enter the premises and eat all his pies.

      This analogy is flawed by the fact that Jeffrey & Amy both had access to
      the computer. He didn't break in to access it, he had every right
      (unless you can show me to the contrary in the article) to access it. I
      don't know where this webmail account was situated but I'm looking at
      this - probably more generously than I should but to play the devil's
      advocate... - as a situation where Jeffrey goes into the computer, looks
      at the web history and sees www.womeninsensibleshoes.com. He clicks
      that link and goes to the site. Lo and behold there's a link there for
      "Sexymail" He clicks on that and since Amy is too lazy to enter her
      user ID and password each time, he clicks on it. Wowsa! The list of
      emails and subject content is right before his eyes. That's why I liken
      this to scanning the mail sitting unprotected on my table by a person
      who has every right to be where he/she is.

      I contend that there is absolutely no question, under the facts outlined
      above, that Jeffrey has done nothing wrong up to that point. It only
      starts to get runny when he clicks on that email to read it and whether
      or not it rises to the level of a crime under these particular
      circumstance is questionable, that's all that I'm saying.

      There is no break-in as you refer to with the bakery or unlocked car
      since both parties have lawful access and use of the computer. If she
      had not used "remember me" we would not be having this discussion. But
      she did and so we will and, likely, just have to agree to disagree.

      Wanna take this private before we get assaulted by the gruesome twosome?

      > <<< I'm not going to argue the moral issue with you. We both consider it
      > wrong but... illegal? >>>>
      >
      > Oh, but moral principals apply to the law too.

      Agreed

      --
      Enjoy,

      Bob
      Hrodey & Associates Established 1977
      e-mail: inquiry@... or rth@...
      Illinois License 115-000783 Wisconsin 8045-063
    • Vicki Siedow
      Message 32 of 32 , Mar 2, 2007
        I'm here for you, Jimmy! ;)

        Vicki Siedow
        Siedow & Associates Investigations
        & Legal Support Services
        2629 Foothill Blvd. #262
        La Crescenta, CA 91214
        Los Angeles County
        CA PI License # 22852
        800.448.6431 toll free
        818.242.0130 local
        818.688.3295 fax
        <mailto:Siedow@...> Siedow@...
        Member NCISS, IWWA

        Need economical legal help?
        Concerned about Identity Theft?

        _____

        From: infoguys-list@ <mailto:infoguys-list%40yahoogroups.com>
        yahoogroups.com [mailto:infoguys-list@
        From: infoguys-list@ <mailto:infoguys-list%40yahoogroups.com>
        yahoogroups.com <mailto:infoguys-list%40yahoogroups.com>
> [...]

        I contend that there is absolutely no question, under the facts outlined
        above, that Jeffrey has done nothing wrong up to that point. It only starts
        to get runny when he clicks on that email to read it and whether or not it
        rises to the level of a crime under these particular circumstance is
        questionable, that's all that I'm saying.

        There is no break-in as you refer to with the bakery or unlocked car since
        both parties have lawful access and use of the computer. If she had not used
        "remember me" we would not be having this discussion. But she did and so we
        will and, likely, just have to agree to disagree.

        Wanna take this private before we get assaulted by the gruesome twosome?

        > <<< I'm not going to argue the moral issue with you. We both consider
        > it wrong but... illegal? >>>>
        >
        > Oh, but moral principals apply to the law too.

        Post Office Box 366 Member of NALI, ASIS, FBINAA, NAPPS Woodstock, IL
        60098-0366 NCISS, Assoc Det of IL & P.A.W.L.I.
        e-mail: inquiry@hrodey. <mailto:inquiry%40hrodey.com> com or rth@...
        <mailto:rth%40hrodey.com>
        <mailto:rth%40hrodey.com> <mailto:rth%40hrodey.com> Illinois License
        115-000783 Wisconsin 8045-063