RE: [infoguys-list] An Interesting Article.....

  • Jim Parker
    Message 1 of 32 , Mar 1, 2007
      <<<< The webmail account is more troubling than the computer, at least it
      is in my mind. The computer with shared usage, lack of password, etc. is
      fair game. >>>>

      Just because something takes place in cyberspace doesn't make it "fair
      game". There is no special privilege accorded to legally protected
      communications solely on the basis of where the communication took place,
      except of course conversations that are directed at the public. The
      communications between Amy and Christina were clearly intended to be
      private, otherwise, Amy wouldn't be suing now.

      <<< You help yourself to the mail, read my bank statements, etc. What law
      have you broken? >>>

      Probably none, but there's a big difference between something that is in
      plain sight and something that you have to 'break in' to steal. If a baker
      drops the key to his bakery on the way to his car, that doesn't imply
      authority for you to use the key to enter the premises and eat all his pies.

      <<< I'm not going to argue the moral issue with you. We both consider it
      wrong but... illegal? >>>>

      Oh, but moral principals apply to the law too. Every day, contracts are
      stricken by courts because the terms are morally unconscionable. Doesn't
      the Eighth Amendment to the Constitution protect you from cruel and unusual
      punishment? There's no absolute on what is considered "cruel and unusual",
      it's simply what would be considered acceptable according to society's moral
      reasoning.

      If the law were based on absolutes, no human factors would be taken into
      account in the courts at all, and we all know that's not the case.

      <<<< we might have seen the judge kicking some ass instead of hemming and
      hawing. >>>>

      How many times have we seen cases, particularly when technology is involved,
      where the judge has hemmed and hawed and eventually concluded something that
      just wanted to make us smash our face into our desk? I wouldn't base the
      legality of something just because some judge doesn't quite 'get it'.

      However, in this case, if you read the article again, you'll see that Judge
      Rose noted that " . . . the "remember me" option probably didn't give
      Jeffery an implied right to view his wife's e- mail messages. And he ordered
      Jeffery to provide Potter, his wife's alleged paramour, with the complete
      set of electronic evidence that he had planned to use in the divorce case."

      Also remember that Amy only sued for injunctive relief, not pursue criminal
      prosecution for unlawfully accessing her electronic communications, so I
      expect the Judge did only what he was empowered to do.

      Jim

      Message 32 of 32 , Mar 2, 2007
        I'm here for you, Jimmy! ;)

        Vicki Siedow
        Siedow & Associates Investigations
        & Legal Support Services
        2629 Foothill Blvd. #262
        La Crescenta, CA 91214
        Los Angeles County
        CA PI License # 22852
        800.448.6431 toll free
        818.242.0130 local
        818.688.3295 fax
        <mailto:Siedow@...> Siedow@...
        Member NCISS, IWWA

        Need economical legal help?
        Concerned about Identity Theft?

        _____

        From: infoguys-list@ <mailto:infoguys-list%40yahoogroups.com>
        yahoogroups.com [mailto:infoguys-list@
        From: infoguys-list@ <mailto:infoguys-list%40yahoogroups.com>
        yahoogroups.com <mailto:infoguys-list%40yahoogroups.com>

        Jim Parker, wrote the following at or about 3/1/2007 4:06 PM:
        > <<<< The webmail account is more troubling than the computer, at least
        > it is in my mind. The computer with shared usage, lack of password,
        > etc. is fair game. >>>>
        >
        > Just because something takes place in cyberspace doesn't make it "fair
        > game". There is no special privilege accorded to legally protected
        > communications solely on the basis of where the communication took
        > place, except of course conversations that are directed at the public.
        > The communications between Amy and Christina were clearly intended to
        > be private, otherwise, Amy wouldn't be suing now.
        >

        > <<< You help yourself to the mail, read my bank statements, etc. What
        > law have you broken? >>>
        >
        > Probably none, but there's a big difference between something that is
        > in plain sight and something that you have to 'break in' to steal. If
        > a baker drops the key to his bakery on the way to his car, that
        > doesn't imply authority for you to use the key to enter the premises
        > and eat all his
        pies.

        This analogy is flawed by the fact that Jeffrey & Amy both had access to the
        computer. He didn't break in to access it, he had every right (unless you
        can show me to the contrary in the article) to access it. I don't know where
        this webmail account was situated but I'm looking at this - probably more
        generously than I should but to play the devil's advocate... - as a
        situation where Jeffrey goes into the computer, looks at the web history and
        sees www.womeninsensibleshoes.com. He clicks that link and goes to the site.
        Lo and behold there's a link there for "Sexymail" He clicks on that and
        since Amy is too lazy to enter her user ID and password each time, he clicks
        on it. Wowsa! The list of emails and subject content is right before his
        eyes. That's why I liken this to scanning the mail sitting unprotected on my
        table by a person who has every right to be where he/she is.

        I contend that there is absolutely no question, under the facts outlined
        above, that Jeffrey has done nothing wrong up to that point. It only starts
        to get runny when he clicks on that email to read it and whether or not it
        rises to the level of a crime under these particular circumstance is
        questionable, that's all that I'm saying.

        There is no break-in as you refer to with the bakery or unlocked car since
        both parties have lawful access and use of the computer. If she had not used
        "remember me" we would not be having this discussion. But she did and so we
        will and, likely, just have to agree to disagree.

        Wanna take this private before we get assaulted by the gruesome twosome?

        > <<< I'm not going to argue the moral issue with you. We both consider
        > it wrong but... illegal? >>>>
        >
        > Oh, but moral principals apply to the law too.

        Agreed

        --
        Enjoy,

        Bob
        Hrodey & Associates Established 1977
        Post Office Box 366 Member of NALI, ASIS, FBINAA, NAPPS Woodstock, IL
        60098-0366 NCISS, Assoc Det of IL & P.A.W.L.I.
        e-mail: inquiry@hrodey. <mailto:inquiry%40hrodey.com> com or rth@...
        <mailto:rth%40hrodey.com>
        <mailto:rth%40hrodey.com> <mailto:rth%40hrodey.com> Illinois License
        115-000783 Wisconsin 8045-063