Re: [infoguys-list] An Interesting Article.....

  • Bob Hrodey
    Message 1 of 32 , Mar 1, 2007
      Ricky Gurley, wrote the following at or about 3/1/2007 12:43 PM:
      > First, let me apologize for my atrocious spelling in that post. And for not "cleaning" the post of the ad that was in it. Glad you could cut through that and get to the "meat of the article"; Jim. No excuses here for not taking an extra 2 minutes to copy and paste into Word and edit the article.

      Hey, considering the "other" Amy, we're getting to be old hands at
      picking the wheat out of the chaff.

      > I found two points VERY interesting; the first was this "defense" or "explanation" for viewing Amy's email, choose whichever term you like; as quoted below:
      >
      > "He also admitted to downloading e-mail from his wife Amy's Web-based e-mail account, but claimed it was authorized because she had chosen to save her username and password through the browser's "remember me" feature."
      >

      > Which was followed by what I can only interpret as a certain amount of uncertainty on behalf of the Judge; The Honorable Thomas Rose as to whether or not this is a valid and reasonable "defense" or "explanation" as quoted below:
      >
      > "He suggested that the "remember me" option probably didn't give Jeffery an implied right to view his wife's e- mail messages."

      How about this line of thought?

      When you're dealing with proprietary information in civil cases (think
      IP, trademark, copyright, etc) one of the first things the plaintiff
      must establish is that they have taken steps to safeguard that
      information. If Proctor & Gamble are throwing out research documents,
      leaving them laying around in the lobby where salesmen waiting to make
      their pitch can read them, etc. they're going to have a helluva time
      crying foul when their competitors start making use of that research.

      Maybe the judge was looking at the total lack of security that the
      "owner" of that e-mail employed. On a computer which was only
      occasionally password protected, use the remember me function to insure
      that ANYONE who used the computer would have access to the files, the
      e-mail account, etc.

      If you know that I'm going to be in your office and you leave
      confidential documents out where I can browse through them can you cry
      foul if I do? Talking plain sight for the moment.

      If you leave files on the computer which are unsecured; programs which
      anyone can click on and run that contain "sensitive" information, and
      don't specifically tell to stay the hell out of them when you loan me
      the computer, do you have a beef when I do? I don't think so.

      What I do in looking in the files is not nice perhaps, but I doubt a
      court would find it illegal or even compensible should I do just that.

      Then again the judge may not know s**t from fat meat.<g>

      --
      Enjoy,

      Bob
      Hrodey & Associates Established 1977
      e-mail: inquiry@... or rth@...
      Illinois License 115-000783 Wisconsin 8045-063
    • Vicki Siedow
      Message 32 of 32 , Mar 2, 2007
        I'm here for you, Jimmy! ;)

        Vicki Siedow
        Siedow & Associates Investigations
        & Legal Support Services
        2629 Foothill Blvd. #262
        La Crescenta, CA 91214
        Los Angeles County
        CA PI License # 22852
        800.448.6431 toll free
        818.242.0130 local
        818.688.3295 fax
        <mailto:Siedow@...> Siedow@...
        Member NCISS, IWWA

        Need economical legal help?
        Concerned about Identity Theft?

        _____

        From: infoguys-list@ <mailto:infoguys-list%40yahoogroups.com>
        yahoogroups.com [mailto:infoguys-list@
        From: infoguys-list@ <mailto:infoguys-list%40yahoogroups.com>
        yahoogroups.com <mailto:infoguys-list%40yahoogroups.com>