Re: Scooby Doo, Magnum PI and the '8 other best private detectives of all time'

  • jimlyonsncis
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 13, 2007
      I noted on one of the other groups that James Rockford has to be
      included on the top ten list and we should heave one of the French
      guys off. Just my opinion.

      Jim Lyons
      Investigator
      Superior Research Services
      P.O. Box 593
      Marquette, MI 49855
      Office: (906) 225-4070
      Fax: (906) 225-4073
      Cell: (906) 869-9551
      Toll Free: (866) 372-9810
      MI Agency Lic: 3701204958
      WI Agency Lic: 15629-062
      WI PD Lic: 11160

      --- In infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com, "t_knapke31" <tknapke@...>
      wrote:

      > The Staff at PInow.com, a worldwide directory of investigators,
      have
      > gathered a list of the most interesting, sexy, and cool detectives
      and
      > PIs of all time.
      >
      > You watch them on TV, you read about them in your favourite novels
      and
      > watch them on the old silver screen, but how do your favourite PIs
      and
      > detectives fare against the best of the best? Read on:
      >
      > 10) Scooby-Doo and Those Pesky Kids (Fred, Daphne, Velma,
      and "Shaggy").
      > First an animated show and then a cultural phenomenon, this is
      where
      > most of us first learned about detective work. The members
      of "Mystery,
      > Inc.," are definitely unlicensed, but few professionals make
      driving
      > around in an old van and uncovering old crooks dressed as ghosts
      look so
      > cool.
      > [0]
      > <http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger/7632/1942/1600/83569/scooby-
      doo_pi\
      > c.gif>
      >

      > 9) Inspector Jules Maigret.The French do it, too. Georges Simeon's
      > police inspector was streetwise, kind, and unassuming as he solves
      > Paris's crimes and worked for the Parisian police.
      > [0]
      > <http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger/7632/1942/1600/577427/jules-
      maigre\
      > t_new.gif>
      >

      > 8) Hercule Poirot. Agatha Christie's Belgian detective appeared in
      more
      > than 50 short stories and 30 novels. The very neat detective with
      the
      > huge mustache and small frame was one of the eccentrics of the
      private
      > eye world,worrying about his shoes and his stomach with all the
      > fussiness of an old maid. For all that (and maybe because of it) we
      > rather like the old chap.
      > [0]

      <http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger/7632/1942/1600/674946/Hercule-
      Poir\
      > ot_new.gif>
      >

      > 7) The Shadow.The character created by Walter B. Gibson is pulp
      hero,
      > appearing in movies, books, comic books, and radio shows. With a
      > mysterious past,the Shadow lurks out of sight, solving crimes.
      > [0]
      > <http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger/7632/1942/1600/979372/the-
      shadow_n\
      > ew.gif>
      >

      > 6) Dashiell Hammett's Sam Spade hails from the macho era of hard-
      boiled
      > detectives. No great sensitivity here, just fedoras and plot
      twists and
      > turns aplenty.Whether you are reading Hammett's short stories or
      > watching or reading The Maltese Falcon, it's hard not to admire
      Sam. We
      > always did like the strong, silent types.
      > [0]
      > <http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger/7632/1942/1600/275195/sam-
      spade_te\
      > mp.gif>
      >

      > 5) Remington Steele.The title character of the TV show that made
      Pierce
      > Brosnan a household name wasn't even part of the show initially.
      In the
      > show, it is Laura Holt who is a private detective. When she finds
      that
      > few clients are willing to work with a female detective, she
      invents an
      > imaginary superior named Remington Steele. The fake name is
      eventually
      > adopted by Brosnan's character.
      > [0]

      <http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger/7632/1942/1600/981157/remington
      -st\
      > eele_template.gif>
      >

      > 4) Magnum, P.I.In this 80s television show, Thomas Magnum (Tom
      Selleck)
      > was a private investigator working in Hawaii. With a tropical
      background
      > and that famous, cool mustache, what's not to love?
      > [0]
      > <http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger/7632/1942/1600/729676/magnum-
      pi_te\
      > mplate.gif>
      >

      > 3) Jessica Fletcher from Murder, She Wrote was the ultimate in
      nosey,
      > lovable armchair detectives. Jessica was the one that taught all
      > would-be authors that every book tour formystery authors ended in a
      > mystery or a murder.
      > [0]
      > <http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger/7632/1942/1600/740571/murder-
      she-w\
      > rote1.gif>
      >

      > 2) Addison and Hayes.Where would we be without those wacky 80s PI
      shows?
      > In this classic,Blue Moon Detective Agency has two partners,
      Madolyn
      > 'Maddie' Hayes (Cybill Shepherd) and David Addison (Bruce Willis),
      who
      > solve crimes each week while bantering.
      > [0]

      <http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger/7632/1942/1600/891538/addison-
      haye\
      > s1.gif>
      >

      > 1) Sherlock Holmes,the fictional character that author Sir Arthur
      Conan
      > Doyle grew to hate, was the first one to make a deerstalker cap and
      > magnifying glass something besides hopelessly geeky. Maybe his
      > mastermind and cool, scientific reasoning made him more like a
      Star Trek
      > Captain than a sexy James Bond, but at least Holmes was having fun
      > snorting coke and playing his violin at 221B Baker Street.
      > [0]

      <http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger/7632/1942/1600/451929/sherlock-
      hol\