Scooby Doo, Magnum PI and the '8 other best private detectives of all time'

  • t_knapke31
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 12, 2007
      The Staff at PInow.com, a worldwide directory of investigators, have
      gathered a list of the most interesting, sexy, and cool detectives and
      PIs of all time.

      You watch them on TV, you read about them in your favourite novels and
      watch them on the old silver screen, but how do your favourite PIs and
      detectives fare against the best of the best? Read on:

      10) Scooby-Doo and Those Pesky Kids (Fred, Daphne, Velma, and "Shaggy").
      First an animated show and then a cultural phenomenon, this is where
      most of us first learned about detective work. The members of "Mystery,
      Inc.," are definitely unlicensed, but few professionals make driving
      around in an old van and uncovering old crooks dressed as ghosts look so
      cool.
      [0]
      <http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger/7632/1942/1600/83569/scooby-doo_pi\
      c.gif>

      9) Inspector Jules Maigret.The French do it, too. Georges Simeon's
      police inspector was streetwise, kind, and unassuming as he solves
      Paris's crimes and worked for the Parisian police.
      [0]
      <http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger/7632/1942/1600/577427/jules-maigre\
      t_new.gif>

      8) Hercule Poirot. Agatha Christie's Belgian detective appeared in more
      than 50 short stories and 30 novels. The very neat detective with the
      huge mustache and small frame was one of the eccentrics of the private
      eye world,worrying about his shoes and his stomach with all the
      fussiness of an old maid. For all that (and maybe because of it) we
      rather like the old chap.
      [0]
      <http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger/7632/1942/1600/674946/Hercule-Poir\
      ot_new.gif>

      7) The Shadow.The character created by Walter B. Gibson is pulp hero,
      appearing in movies, books, comic books, and radio shows. With a
      mysterious past,the Shadow lurks out of sight, solving crimes.
      [0]
      <http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger/7632/1942/1600/979372/the-shadow_n\
      ew.gif>

      6) Dashiell Hammett's Sam Spade hails from the macho era of hard-boiled
      detectives. No great sensitivity here, just fedoras and plot twists and
      turns aplenty.Whether you are reading Hammett's short stories or
      watching or reading The Maltese Falcon, it's hard not to admire Sam. We
      always did like the strong, silent types.
      [0]
      <http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger/7632/1942/1600/275195/sam-spade_te\
      mp.gif>

      5) Remington Steele.The title character of the TV show that made Pierce
      Brosnan a household name wasn't even part of the show initially. In the
      show, it is Laura Holt who is a private detective. When she finds that
      few clients are willing to work with a female detective, she invents an
      imaginary superior named Remington Steele. The fake name is eventually
      adopted by Brosnan's character.
      [0]
      <http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger/7632/1942/1600/981157/remington-st\
      eele_template.gif>

      4) Magnum, P.I.In this 80s television show, Thomas Magnum (Tom Selleck)
      was a private investigator working in Hawaii. With a tropical background
      and that famous, cool mustache, what's not to love?
      [0]
      <http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger/7632/1942/1600/729676/magnum-pi_te\
      mplate.gif>

      3) Jessica Fletcher from Murder, She Wrote was the ultimate in nosey,
      lovable armchair detectives. Jessica was the one that taught all
      would-be authors that every book tour formystery authors ended in a
      mystery or a murder.
      [0]
      <http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger/7632/1942/1600/740571/murder-she-w\
      rote1.gif>

      2) Addison and Hayes.Where would we be without those wacky 80s PI shows?
      In this classic,Blue Moon Detective Agency has two partners, Madolyn
      'Maddie' Hayes (Cybill Shepherd) and David Addison (Bruce Willis), who
      solve crimes each week while bantering.
      [0]
      <http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger/7632/1942/1600/891538/addison-haye\
      s1.gif>

      1) Sherlock Holmes,the fictional character that author Sir Arthur Conan
      Doyle grew to hate, was the first one to make a deerstalker cap and
      magnifying glass something besides hopelessly geeky. Maybe his
      mastermind and cool, scientific reasoning made him more like a Star Trek
      Captain than a sexy James Bond, but at least Holmes was having fun
      snorting coke and playing his violin at 221B Baker Street.
      [0]
      <http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger/7632/1942/1600/451929/sherlock-hol\
      mes_new.gif>

      There are many great fictional investigators and detectives that have
      adorned the big screens and television, and who have come alive through
      books and comics. We surely have overlooked some of your favourites.

      Please visit the PInow.com News
      <http://www.pinow.com/news/2007/01/11/top-10-fictional-pi-detective-char\
      acters-of-all-time-3/> section and comment on whom you would include
      on your top 10 and we will follow-up with a reader's choice article.

      About PInow.com
      PInow.com is a Worldwide Directory of Private Investigators that enables
      law firms, corporations and the general public to find investigators
      anywhere in the United States and worldwide.

    • jimlyonsncis
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 13, 2007
        I noted on one of the other groups that James Rockford has to be
        included on the top ten list and we should heave one of the French
        guys off. Just my opinion.

        Jim Lyons
        Investigator
        Superior Research Services