Re: [infoguys-list] Camera Advice

  • amir azodi
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2006
      hello
      thanks for the information on canon .it was very useful . i have a rebel 350D and i am
      quite satisfied. but i must say the shots at night need a bit of editing .
      by the way what do you think about canon G7.
      is there anything better G7 (i mean compact) in the market ?
      many thanks
      Amir Azodi

      Paladin Network <paladinpi@...> wrote:
      I have the Canon 20D EOS (digital) and about 8 lenses, as I am a huge photo
      buff, and belong to half a dozen photog groups/clubs.

      First off I'd suggest switching to a digital body. Canon has several Rebel
      models in digital now that you can pick up from $500-900 (the newest, the
      Rebel XTi is awesome!). These are EOS models also, so your current lenses
      will still work.

      The main reason I suggest going digital is so you can change the ISO in the
      camera to 1600 (or 3200 if the model allows it) for better low light (i.e.
      night) photography, then easily switch to 100, 200, or 400 for lighted
      photography. So if your subject goes from a porch to a well lit store
      fornt, you can change the ISO with the click of a few buttons.

      On a film camera it would require the changing, and in many cases wasting,
      or rolls of film to change the ISO.

      For the lenses, go with a lens that has a low aperature, like 2.8. Anything
      lower than 2.8 will end up costing you way too much (like $5K plus).
      A good basic telephoto for thw EOS system is the SIgma 70-200/2.8, these run
      about $800-900 new, and you can pick them up used for $650-700. I use this
      lens often.
      Add a TeleConverter of 1.4x or 2.0x will bring the range up to 280 or 400,
      but also increases the aperture 1 stop (for the 1.4x) or 2 stops (for the
      2.0x).

      Canon makes some 2.8 aperature lenses, but they cost about 50% more.
      Also Canon has some with Image Stabilizing which will in effect give you an
      extra aperture stop or 2 for image clarity. But again, that adds about 50%
      to the cost.

      Tamron and Sigma both make lenses in the 50-500mm range, but these start at
      ap 5.6 and cost about $1K. I plan on getting the Sigma version soon
      (nicknamed by the camera community as the Bigma).

      None of these will give you super night capability though like they show on
      TV/Movies, or even like the soney handycams do, but they are still good.

      A great site for photo/camera tips (and to pick up or sell used photo
      equipment) is fredmiranda.com

      Brian Poirier
      Brian.Poirier@...

      Paladin International, Inc./ ASI Group
      Houston, TX
      http://Paladin-Intl.com
      http://ASIGroup.com
      T: 713-430-7376
      F: 713-430-7335

      On 11/1/06, Edge <b1ackknight007@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > I use a Canon Rebel EOS (film). Can anyone suggest a
      > telephoto/zoom/super lense that they feel is reliable for day and
      > night shooting?
      >
      > Thanks in advance,
      > John Edgecombe, Owner/Manager
      > C-Team Investigations, inc
      > P.O.Box 5676
      > Hempstead, NY 11550
      > 516-761-8775

    • Paladin Network
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 3, 2006
        I have not played with the new compacts lately.

        This site reviews cameras and has a forum where members discuss various
        models: http://dpreview.com/

        Regards,
        Brian