gun possession

  • chip1anna
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 30, 2006
      my brother-in-law had gotten into trouble and had to sign his guns over
      to me as a condition of his probation, i stated in the letter to his
      probation officer that i would take possession of all his guns until he
      was past his probation period. my brother-in-law past away this year
      and at the time of his death, he still had a year and a half lest on
      his probation period. i would like to know if i would be considered
      the legal owner of the guns if he died with no will but had heirs.
      thanks
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 31, 2006
        Absolutely not!

        Since his probation is over and the terms were that you would take
        possession until his probation was over, they are now the possession of his heirs.
        Since he died "intestate" you need to determine if any of the heirs is going
        to file a "probate" or if they are going to handle this amicably. If a
        "probate" is started,

        If there is a surviving spouse, they pass to her. If multiple children,
        probate would appear to be in order. If no heirs, the guns must escheat to the
        State.

        ________________________

        818-242-9824 FAX

        a military veteran !

      • Vicki Siedow
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 2006
          There are too many factors and unanswered questions here. You need an
          attorney, not an investigator.

          Vicki Siedow
          Siedow & Associates Investigations
          & Legal Support Services